Terrorist Attack…. How to Help Renters!?

Yeah, that’s so equivalent to death by terrorism putting a damper on your life. So sorry you had to put up with these insensitive ignoramuses.

3 Likes

Thank you! I did not respond as my normal 200+ positive review host self, but as an aggravated citizen of Barcelona. I reached out to the guest first thing, they had NO clue what was going on, and when I told them severity literally said ‘This isn’t a big deal’. Then 6 hours later decide its unsafe, and their holiday will be ruined because the city will be mourning. YES! We will be mourning, some idiot plowed through our streets, but we will also get on because life goes on, and we will not let the terrorisits win! I loathe this woman!

7 Likes

Las Ramblas is OPEN… Today is NORMAL. Terror DOES NOT win TODAY!

9 Likes

Thinking of you and everyone in Barcelona today @azreala, as we think of those injured and killed in last week’s terrorist attack in Charlottesville…will it ever stop ::sob:

2 Likes

It’s their loss not yours. By cancelling, they ruined their own holiday, or let some religious fanatic ruin it for them.
As you rightly said @azreala, life goes on. Let’s focus on the positive: there’s this forum for you to look to for support in difficult times.

2 Likes

a question on this kind of event, does the guest can cancel free of charge?

Yes and I have absolutely NO problem with that. I had an issue with the ignorance of this particular guest and the way then handled themself in this situation. DH said Ineas reading into
It too much, which I probably was, but I know what my reaction would have been if I was a guest in this situation, and it most certainly would not of been ‘terror attacked ruined my holiday, poor me’.

2 Likes

As you know @azreala, Barcelona is one of my favorite cities. I am sorry that your canceled guests will not have the opportunity to experience the spirit of Catalan. For me, that area was not what made me love your city. There is so much more that demonstrates what makes this city special. My sister lived there for a full year and her host family is as determined as you to continue life as before. Much like my dear family in Paris.

If I didn’t have umpteen guests over the next week or so, I would come and book your place, though I prefer Barcelona on the shoulder seasons.

1 Like

I too was in the Paris attacks again for Airbnb.

My host checked I was ok and advised to stay in on the night of the attack. She then invited me to brunch on the day I checked out.

We now see each other annually to remember what happened. I wouldn’t say we are now friends but her support during that time made me feel less worried and is a reason I will always rate Airbnb as a guest.

5 Likes

Agree Las Ramblas is not an area we frequent, I actually dread going down there, but it is a HUGE tourist spot. I recommend Sept-Jan to visit, it is my favorite time of year in Barça. Great weather and not as many tourists everywhere.

Just to be clear, I don’t care that she cancelled, I’m miffed at her ‘me centric’ behaviour in a very emotional time for a lot of people. I get I am much more emotional about these attacks than someone coming to visit on Holiday, but her ‘Is this a big deal’ comment just threw me. I fully agree I over reacted, hopefully ABB won’t boot me for being a bitch :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Just to clarify @Astaire these people have nothing to do with religion. They are terrorists pure and simple. Every time people associate them with religion, they are one step closer to dividing us.

@azreala I hope Airbnb is giving hosts in Barcelona support during this difficult time and I am sorry that your guest was so ignorant in their comments.

1 Like

We made sure our current guests were safe and offered them whatever they needed. I believe they are staying another night, of course we said stay as long as you need. My issue was with the guest checking in today.

3 Likes

I was simply sharing my experience in Paris, not making a comment on your situation.

2 Likes

Completely understand.

Un-*******-believable. The selfishness and obtuseness of some people is astounding. Sorry my prediction came true :frowning: Hope you’re doing ok. Don’t feel any remorse for what you said to this person. Maybe, just maybe, it will help her to re-evaluate her attitude. I am thinking now of hotel staff who will be dealing face-to-face with such idiots. Ugh.

It’s not in the same league but I once declined a guest after reading a review they left for a host. It went something like this:
" The accommodation was acceptable but we were very disappointed that we had to prepare our own breakfast because the host was recovering from major surgery. We feel we should have been informed of this beforehand".
I remembering thinking ‘mate, YOU will be recovering from major surgery if you come into my house with that attitude’.

6 Likes

Thank you, I SO needed that!!

@Magwitch I assure you her attitude did not change, and she sent me multiple paragraph response telling me I’m awful and she hopes the Catalan people are not like me, and clearly I’m thin skinned and petty, and I clearly only wanted her money. I really only said her attitude was poor, and what we need now is solidarity and for things to go back to normal, maybe with a little sass, but I digress. I ignored her response, bc fighting with internet people is only fun on this forum!

Thanks again everyone! Many hopes none of you ever have to deal with this!

My guests checked out today, albeit later because of trains delay, and were very grateful for all of our help! Which made me feel better about my choice words for the stupid guest :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m so angry on your behalf :rage: Maybe someone can rationalise her attitude but for me she is un pedazo de mierda en el zapato (courtesy of google translate because we can’t swear in English on here).

1 Like

@azreala I’m so sorry for what you and everybody in Barcelona are going through.

I’m sorry too you had to deal with such an ignorant and self absorbed guest. I’m glad she cancelled and you didn’t have to deal with her in person.

I wonder if it’s because these attacks happen all the time now, that some people have just become numb to it?

OMG you are my spirit animal! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

I’m over being angry with her, she wins if I let her occupy any more of my time Hopefully, someone that truly needs my flat will be able to use it for the next few days.

2 Likes

JEEEEZZZ, Did you report this b8tch to Air? I would have! How inappropriate!!!

1 Like