Temporary shut down because of illness

After our first year of opening, we shut our doors at the end of August because I’m on the waiting list for a replacement hip operation which I thought I was going to have this month - we’re going to re-open in January and we already have bookings for then. I’ve now been informed by my doctor that because of other complications it’s going to be at least another eight weeks before the op takes place. My wife and I have decided to re-open for the rest of October and November, but our worry now is that I’ll be called in for my op when we have guests staying in January. In particular, my wife wouldn’t be keen on being in the house by herself with a male guest. Do other forum members think that AirBnB administration would accept surgery as a reasonable reason for cancelling a guest booking? Any thoughts welcome!

There is a list:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

Isn’t that the guest extenuating circumstance list? Is there one for hosts as well? I was unable to find one.

1 Like

I do.

I also think if you contact the guests who have booked for January and explain the situation and give them options they may cancel and then you won’t be penalized. Don’t wait and make it harder for them to find a replacement accomdation.

Sometimes you can’t have it all. It sounds like you should wait on reservations for after your surgery.

4 Likes

I’m not sure … the Extenuating Circumstances list quotes “serious injury” and “serious illness” and I think they may think that a hip replacement (necessary as it is) is elective surgery. It’s certainly worth trying but I don’t know if Airbnb understand the vagaries of the NHS!

I understand your wife’s reluctance to share with a male guest - would it be possible to have a friend or relative on call to stay with her if that happens? They might also be a help around the house/listing. and would give your wife confidence in hosting on her own. Alternatively, I think you should do as Karma suggests and explain the situation to the guests who are coming in January - and then block the rest of the month!

Extenuating Circumstances apply to Hosts and Guests.

An operation would seem a clear example.

1 Like

The problem is that with the waiting list system here in the UK the way it is I could have my op any time in the next four or five months but I’d only get a couple of days’ warning of it!

OP did not, had closed the dates they assumed would not be available and the dates changed.

Yeah I know I’ve lived in the UK. Maybe ring Air and let them know your situation ??

Thanks everybody - especially Louise - for your advice. We’ve decided to open again for October and November, then close in December and then re-open. Fortunately we do have a bit of a support network and we’re getting a cleaner as well, so I think we should be OK. Thanks again, all - people’s support and views are really appreciated.

!!!ABSOLUTELY!!!

1 Like

Where did my comment go?

It seems to have vanished - very odd. Censored by somebody?

Mod found the post, someone deleted their comment which I had replied to, thankfully the comment was saved, reposting.

It’s not much different than if you have a sudden health problem, any host can become ill or have a family member need attention that requires shutting down hosting. This is not elective surgery. While waiting for a scheduled operation, things can arise that mean you aren’t available.
You need to decide how much stress blocking off dates vs keepinng them open and then needing to cancel will cause you and make the decision.
I have a chronic health problem, I’m hoping for treatment. I don’t know when it will happen, or how it will affect my being able to host. I can’t put everything on hold in case. I will take bookings and if my supports are not enough to make hosting while I’m out of action, then so be it.
You might consider looking for someone to help short term.
If you do have to cancel don’t get into details re waiting list, planned surgery etc. all they need is a doctors note saying you are unfit for x period of time, starting date y. If you give them more info some under-paid, under-qualified customer service agent is liable to cause you undeserved grief.