Superhost Update Email

I hope not needed. If Moderna, extreme tiredness is the most common side effect.

If you sleep for the 18-28 hours after the shot, you will be in good company.

Maybe it has, or maybe we are just hearing about it more. I never even heard of a Michelin star award for a restaurant most of my life and it’s really the kind of thing that doesn’t matter to 90% of the population.

2 Likes

Most people haven’t. Including me until a few years ago. Long story but my first & only Michelin star restaurant experience was a happy accident.

Regardless of knowing what a Michelin star is, the restaurant had won an accolade. People concentrated on being self-centered & mean. The world has always been hard but the general aggressive, meanness that people used to at least try to hide is now proudly displayed.

I think the difference now is that people can be mean and nasty online anonymously. Or even if they post under their own name, there’s no fear of in-the-moment consequences. People are more reticent to be mean and nasty in person. Especially if the other people around are not like that.

Whereas before all these online blogs and reviews and websites, you might only have witnessed someone being hateful occasionally in real life, you can go online and read thousands of hateful postings on any given day. So people are emboldened to jump into the fray. "Ha! I knew it! A thousand other people think the same hateful thoughts I do. My hate is legitimate and righteous. "

It’s the bully/coward/gang mentality.

2 Likes

Think I’ve been in one Michelin starred restaurant in France. I was staying with a Work Away host for a week. She did so many kind things for me above and beyond I asked her about good restaurants in the area and we went to one. Pretty damn amazing, but not something I need to do very often.

When I was imagining what the next course would look like, it was never how I thought it would be.

Regular restaurants in France are often above and beyond anything anywhere. I do love the food there.

2 Likes

We got a coupon for this year. We only noticed it a few months ago, so we assume it was granted in Jan/Feb? And it needs to be used by Dec 31.

1 Like

Perhaps they could adjust the minimum number of stays to take into account that by forcing hosts (even in countries with low Covid and high vaccination rates like Australia) to block the night before and after they are effectively reducing the number of bookable nights by 1/2 to 1/3.

1 Like

@muddy:

FYI - a whole lotta VAC landed in Mexico. If you don’t want to take it there, it looks like there are plenty of cheap flights to various close US cities with lots of open schedules. Good luck.

They aren’t doing that here. I had multiple back to back stays in August.

Hosts who are concerned about it could probably shorten their maximum stay and easily get 10 bookings a year.

1 Like

This. 100%. We have had extraordinary meals at neighborhood restaurants in small towns and villages. And laughed at the bill. It was always so reasonable.

2 Likes

Ok well I’m moving on, as I never read her story on whatever forum, and we don’t know what happened or how the guest felt about it.

Thanks - my max stay is only 2 nights, 3 in Summer hols. I thought it was part of the Covid Clean policy. But I turned mine back to Prep Time none. I don’t recall setting it to 1 night as I haven’t in the past. Anyway given I am solidly booked from now till end of January it gave me a few nights off in between and made it easier for my cleaner.

4 Likes

That and avoiding the Headline “Airbnb guest dies after contracting Covid from host”. Airbnb is clickbait so journalists would love to spread that headline globally even if it was no different to picking it up in a hotel or shopping mall.

2 Likes

We had the most incredible quiche in Lourmarin, France. It was so light that it nearly floated off the plate. We asked how they did it and the lithe girl behind the counter just smiled and held up a big honking whisk. Talk about old school technique.

3 Likes

What? How would the length of stay relate to Covid safety? It’s safer to have one guest stay longer, rather than a constant stream of possible carriers. What was part of the Covid clean policy was leaving one or two days between bookings to give the place a chance to air out and then be well cleaned and sterilized.

2 Likes

My brother and SIL got 2 Pfizer doses in San Miguel, but have no idea when boosters will happen. They now overdue on their visas but don’t want to bus to Austin to get visas, boosters, and see docs, given infection levels and a Governor that’s trying to kill everyone.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. Yes, they were giving them in Guadalajara, a five hour drive for me one way, and San Miguel is at least a 10 hour drive. They were also giving them in a town 40 minutes north of me, but people I know from here got turned away because they weren’t from that town.

That’s the problem here- in Canada, I could make a vax appointment anywhere in the country, it wouldn’t matter where I lived, they just want everyone vaxed. Here, you have to register for the specific area where you live, and take whichever vax they have access to. You could go somewhere else and wait around til the end of the day and if they have vaccines left over, they’ll give you one, because once they’re unrefrigerated they have to use them up, but I’m not gonna drive 5 hours or 10 hours one way and pay for a hotel on the off-chance that I might be able to get one.

Sounds like your rellies are living here on tourist visas they have to leave the country on every 6 months? I don’t quite understand why people do that. They should really apply for residency. Makes things much easier.

1 Like

I think that they just don’t like dealing with Mexican officialdom. I didn’t ask if SMA has a “mordita” problem, but my impression is that the Anglo residents may not get shaken down much because the 25% foreigners there bring in a lot of money.

Rent, house repairs/remodeling, gardeners, house cleaners, support for arts that attract tourists, donations to local charities — all which means that elected officials don’t want to kill the Expat geese that lay those golden eggs.

I don’t think that they intend to stay there forever, but it’s the right place for this time in their lives. He was a theater major who was frustrated because he had jobs that prevented fulltime involvement for years. Now he’s directing a couple of plays per year, working on other productions, and my SIL loves her writers group. He loves the fact that there are a lot of retired Canadian TV actors from Toronto there, and retired NY theatre folks.

1 Like

San Miguel is great for cultural stuff, art, music, theatre. I lived there for awhile and enjoyed it. It just gets too cold for me. I didn’t move to Mexico to have to wear scarves and gloves in the winter. :wink:

The thing is, all these foreigners who actually live here on a tourist visa may find they will no longer be able to do that. It’s illegal, and Immigration officials have refused to give another tourist visa at the border to some folks when it’s evident they live here and just leave every 6 months and turn around and come back in.

No one likes dealing with govt. bureaucracy anywhere. Mexican immigration is one of the most efficient govt. bodies here, though. It’s not that big a deal to get temporary residency and not particularly complicated.
Not to mention not having to leave the country every 6 months, unless they have other reasons for doing so, anyway.

1 Like

Airbnb exists to make money. More hosting = more money. The Superhost designation incentivizes hosts to host more.

I do tend to prefer Superhost listings for my stays. It’s an indicator, albeit not a perfect one, of reliability. The place is likely to be clean, the mechanics and appliances are likely to work, the stay is unlikely to be cancelled by the host at the last minute, etc.

The pandemic has put shared space hosts who rely on the income to pay the mortgage or for basic living expenses in a terrible situation. In the U.S., at least they could access pandemic unemployment assistance through September 6 of this year through state programs.

1 Like