Superhost Update Email

Looks like they are returning to normal. Though the portion that is “a warning” has no intelligence into our actual stats (shocking!).

1 Like

I love how Airbnb is pretending the pandemic is over just as countries have ramped up their travel restrictions, testing and quarantines due to the rapid spread of the Omicron variant.

There are a whole lot of home-share Superhosts like me who’ve been closed to bookings in order to keep ourselves and guests safe who are about to lose our years-long Superhost status.

They never cared about Covid safety, it has all just been presenting themselves publicly as responsible corporate citizens.

2 Likes

Actually, it is reasonable that they have allowed all SH to keep status for 2 full years, regardless of bookings.
I actually agree with them. It is fair that a host needs to get a mere 10 bookings and keep 4.8 stars by April 1.

2 Likes

During the “keep your superhost status” 2 years, I would’ve qualified for superhost under the original rules.

However I’ve moved to more longer term off-season bookings on other platforms (not Airbnb). Looking to the 7/1/22 assessment, I’m probably going to miss it because of too few bookings on Airbnb.

Ironic when it was easy, I could’ve qualified under the old rules. Oh well, Life’s not fair…

1 Like

Fair? You think it’s fair to try to force home-share hosts who have been closed to bookings since the pandemic began because they don’t want to risk their own health and lives nor their guests’ to open so they don’t lose Superhost status? You would think that.

And when I do host, I generally get an average of 10 day bookings. Some stay for 2 weeks. With a prep day in between, even if I opened back up to bookings tomorrow, no, I couldn’t easily get a “mere” 10 bookings in by April 1.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine that superhost status would matter one way or another for your listing.

5 Likes

@JJD’s assessment is spot on. You would have SH throughout your high market and even for any bookings through April which would be made by end of March. So … what is there to fret over?
Giving hosts two full years seems pretty reasonable to me. Just my 2 cents.
We got Vac’d in March and opened in Oct. That isn’t Air’s fault. It was our choice and we are comfortable with it. Looking back, we wish we opened in June. Hindsight and such.

1 Like

Why would it matter for other listings but not for mine?

I’m not attached it, but I earned it. It’s the idea that it will be taken away not because I have somehow become a worse host, but because I don’t want to risk sharing my kitchen with strangers when the pandemic is still raging, that is a pretty rude and tone deaf thing for Airbnb to do.

If I simply decided I was burnt out from hosting, and decided to take a couple years off, then sure, losing Superhost would be reasonable. But it’s not reasonable for the circumstances that keep me from hosting right now.

4 Likes

What part of I don’t consider it safe to share space with guests while the pandemic is still raging eludes you?
You don’t share living space with guests, so you don’t get it.

3 Likes

Ok. So, I’m interested:

1. What do you think Air should do? What date or event is “fair in your eyes” for Air to apply (public company)? Is there a date that you agree that you “should” lose SH, due to personal choice?
  2. If you are fully Vac’d, and require 100% Vac’d guests, what would you do?
    And we can entirely ignore mitigating factors like “travelers into Mexico must pass a Negative test within 72 hours”. Personal safety is a choice.
    I’m interested in where Air should set policy to include individual and personal choices of safety, and can’t find something reasonable for the majority of 4 million hosts and 500 million guests.
1 Like

The article referenced here was published August 2020 (so almost 16 months ago).
https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/the-latest-updates-to-superhost-assessments-257

Seems like a fair question to ask @airbnbhelp with the current travel restrictions related to the Omicron variant & local shutdowns is “what does this policy mean to the high risk host whose rentals are home share? Is there an exemption or later policy implementation date?”

If Airbnb says basically they don’t care that Homeshare Hosts are put at risk in order to meet Superhost status, there’s time for a grassroots movement of homeshare hosts to flood Airbnb & ask for reconsideration of the policy.

I’m not the right person for this (I’m not homeshare) but perhaps a homeshare host will start the ball rolling.

3 Likes

Fair point. Unfortunately immunosuppressed (diabetes, cancer, MS, fibromyalgia, transplant, Crohn’s dz) hosts although vaxxed are at much higher risk of breakthrough, hospitalization & death. (Think Colin Powell in October)

I’m borderline on Superhost 7/22 & limited opportunity for reservations because of a long term lease in place (that was my decision) so I don’t have much of a pony in this race.

However if I were homeshare I would be asking every guest for their vaccine card!!!

Btw got booster last week — oh happy day. Sore arm but happy day.

2 Likes

At a quick glance, little is known about the O variant. It seems that we will see even more variants for a long time to come, and life must go on.
@Annet3176 - we got “boosted” almost 2 weeks ago. Oh yeah! Loved it! Now, we’re thinking about getting a booster from one of the others - it’ll be fun!

1 Like

I’m J&J 1st one. Moderna 2nd. Eventually I’ll go for the trifecta & get Pfizer.

Sure we will. It’s the nature is a Virus to keep changing. I’m praying Covid 19 goes the way of the Flu 1912 and mutates to be less contagious.

We J&J’d mid-March. Then J&J booster Nov 24th. Sweet! No side effects at all. In Dec or Jan, we’ll get a booster from Moderna or Pfizer.

1 Like
  1. I don’t consider it “personal choice”. So your basic premise is moot. I consider it to be a public health issue. Just as Airbnb did when they cancelled all the reservations and refunded all guests back at the beginning of the pandemic.
    And travelers into Mexico require no Covid test at all.

2. I’m not fully vaxed yet. I haven’t even had my second dose, let alone a booster. And that’s not my personal choice, either. That’s my main issue. It’s not easy to find places giving the Pfizer vaccine here. I had my first in Canada in mid July. Once I get my second, yes, I would open back up to bookings and only accept vaccinated guests.

4 Likes

I respect you. I want you healthy.
When the vaccine is available to you, check with your doctor and the vaccine protocols.

In the USA your first shot is considered too long ago to provide enough antibody build for the second one to take you to the level needed.

If you go Vax 1 then 6 months later to dose 2, then to booster, your antibody levels (titer) won’t provide the best level of protection.

In the USA, the recommendation for anyone with more than 2 months between doses 1 & 2 is to start over.

Edit: with the addition of the booster, CDC removed recommendation to start over if 2nd dose late. As the virus changes so do the recommendations. Check with your doctor for the proper schedule when the vaccine is available.

4 Likes

@muddy my long rambling in its way, supports you having few or no rentals and accepting only fully vaccinated guests to lessen risk of exposure

2 Likes

Because you have a unique and special place. And a great rating too. I doubt that anyone coming to stay with you is concerned as to why you do or don’t have a superhost badge. I was only saying that you don’t need it.

That being said, I hear you when you say that you earned it and that you would like to keep it and I can understand why it feels unfair. And I certainly don’t think that you should have to risk your health just to keep Superhost. It is absolutely wrong. I agree with you.

3 Likes

Ok, so I’ll ask without any caveats:
What do you think Air should do regarding SH status? Just asking what date or event is “fair in your eyes” for Air to apply (public company)?
Should they allow any host to keep SH status forever, until that host re-opens and then give them X time (3 - 6 months) to earn the metrics?