Superhost: Now that I've earned it, what should I do first? (Besides go to Disney World.)

OK, gang, as of yesterday (yesterYAY), I just cleared the criteria to become a Superhost in January.

I’ve read through all of AirBnB’s amazingly vague and unhelpful documentation and still have a big question: What are the smartest ways you’ve seen people use Superhost status?

I’ve seen the following:

• People putting a Superhost badge on photos (seems like a lot of work for not a ton of return?)
  • Using the voucher after the first year, obviously
  • Putting “Superhost” in their listing titles
  • Using some kind of Batphone to get better/faster help from AirBnB

What else should newbie Superhosts know?

It gives you a boost with bookings since some folks use the filter to search for superhost listings.

1 Like

Airbnb already puts superhost on your listing. In search results like this:

And on your profile pic with the badge:

As Ritz said there’s a filter that people can use when searching; I certainly always do.

I don’t think putting it more often is a plus, quite the opposite.

Used to be there was dedicated CS for SH but I think that doesn’t exist any longer?

I got an “award” a few years ago and I remounted it into a frame (It came with a stand) and hung it on the wall. I also put a picture of it in the listing:

Since I put it in the listing I’ve had more than one guest say something in the review about my being a superhost. It’s as if they weren’t even aware of the existence of SH prior to their stay with me. I think it helps me.

So maybe use the badge logo on something in the rental like your guest guide.

4 Likes

You’d think Airbnb would remove the word “Superhost” from listing titles and descriptions just to prevent hosts from advertising that they are a Superhost when they aren’t.

Oh, congrats @GuideCottage on earning Superhost

2 Likes

Thanks! We only opened in October and we’re not in a big touristy place, so I’ve been holding my breath to get to the 10 completed stays by the end of the year. I am far too invested, but … well, it aroused my competitive instincts.

4 Likes

You have an exceptional rental and I’m not surprised that you are doing well.

3 Likes

You are very kind, and I wouldn’t have anything nearly as guest-friendly if it weren’t for the advice on this forum. Seriously.

6 Likes

I know someone that made a carved wood sign that says “XYZ Properties. AirBnB and VRBO Superhosts” and installed it in front of their properties.

2 Likes

Best advice I could give a new superhost is to not worry about your superhost status.

We have had it, lost it, regained it, and expect to lose it again shortly. When we lose it, it is for things entirely beyond our control, which makes the whole concept a bit meaningless. Also, when we lost it the first time we thought that might make a difference. This turned out not to be the case - no discernible difference in bookings either when we lost it, or when we regained it.

So enjoy it because it indicates you are a good host. But don’t let it change what you do, and for goodness sake don’t lose sleep worrying about losing it!

10 Likes

Thank you! Extremely helpful perspective; I’m sure I’m going to need to reread that sometime(s). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think @rossh’s perspective is on the mark. I personally thought that Superhost was fairly easy to achieve, but at the same time I understand how it can be be very easy to lose. I also saw that it didn’t make any significant difference in my occupancy, even after raising my rates. If there’s a monetary value hosts can benefit from by achieving Superhost, it’s “super” unfortunate that Airbnb doesn’t help hosts determine what that value is. I believe that if a host uses the Airbnb platform, then Superhost is something a host should aspire to achieve, but I also believe a host can be successful without Superhost status and that is proven because otherwise no new host could ever become successful.

I’m honestly a bit discouraged that Airbnb hasn’t assigned some additional “value” to Superhosts with Smart Pricing, etc., but it’s pretty clear they haven’t, yet that should be the one place where Airbnb “rewards” Superhosts.

1 Like

You know what I’d LOVE as a Super Host bonus…the ability to have Air survey my guests AND have the results sent to me.

I’m always wanting to know what made them choose my listing. I sometimes look & see less expensive or nicer looking places that fit their dates, so then I’m really wondering.

Was it my SH status, my stars, the description, pics, location, etc and what sealed the deal? I don’t feel okay asking myself…feels like too much. Do any of you ever ask?

1 Like

You can always just ask then :wink:

JF

1 Like

If I had face to face contact with them it’d be easy & I would. As it is, I can hardly get them to read/respond to the messages needed for the booking :roll_eyes:

I don’t do anything extra with it except hang the “golden key” visibly that I got for being one for several years. Some guests, including myself, filter for superhost. However, the label can come and go for reasons beyond your control so don’t overthink it.

I think one of the main benefits of SH is the filter and the benefit is to the guest savvy enough to use it.

I’ve said repeatedly that finding an Airbnb can be a PITA and I use a lot of filters when I search: SH and IB first priority. Also free cancellation, free parking if I’m driving, AC in summer, the price slider. How I wish there was a star rating slider as well but the outcry from hosts would be deafening.

Also, always, always use the map! That’s just as important as SH and IB for me.

2 Likes

I have asked a few times. I’ve also asked some of my repeat guests who have stayed in other places in El Paso how the other places were. One said the other one didn’t feel as safe as mine. Another said the other place was okay but not as clean as mine.

For one thing there’s no accounting for taste and you don’t know what guests are putting in on their filters.

One thing about my place is that I know when I get last minute bookings is that there must not be much supply left.

1 Like

Yep, you can put in all those filters except for pets. I’m going on a little trip and am taking my two cats. One has to look at every single rental to see if they accept animals. Then, I message the host to see if cats are ok. It is a pain, view this one from a responsible guests perspective. I’m willing to bet a lot of people that do no accept pets are going to be getting pets because it not clear how to find pet friendly.

When you enter number of guests scroll down to pets and put +2. That should filter out hosts who don’t accept pets. You probably still have to ask if they accept cats because some people will take dogs but not cats.

1 Like

I do to! I like how VRBO does that:

I like it too but it cuts my place out a lot as I’m not in city center. Sometimes I swear I’m working the view but it still cuts me out until I zoom in a bit.