Superhost but Banned for life on Airbnb

Very helpful this! I’ve discovered that if you just pull out your internet modem for a while, and you plug it back in the elektricity, you automatically get a new IP-address. So that’s one thing covered.

Update:
We’ve received an answer from Airbnb as a reaction to my twitter post (which they answered immediately, saying they would look into it) and my appeal.

This is what I got:
"Hi Lien,
Thanks for reaching out. I’m Teresa T at Airbnb. We regret to inform you that we’ll be unable to support your account moving forward, and have exercised our discretion under our Terms of Service to disable your account(s). This decision will affect any duplicated or future accounts.
This action has been taken due to a violation of the commitment to the safety pillar of Airbnb’s Community Standards.
After a routine review of your Airbnb account, we regret to inform you that we are no longer able to continue supporting your Airbnb account due to violation of our Terms of Service. This decision was determined in consideration of Airbnb’s standards & expectations, and for the best interest of our community.
You can view the standards here: “…”
Please note that all upcoming reservations have been canceled with a full refund and all appropriate parties notified. Additionally, we are unable to provide further account support.
We’ll contact you if anything changes in the future, but until then, we won’t be able to assist you any further with your account issues.

Please see our Help Center for further information."

Is it me or are the names of these ‘account managers’ just a reason to make it sound more personal? ‘Teresa T, Ricardo, Mandy,…’ I feel like I’m just talking to a computer in stead of a real person :rofl:

In the meantime, I’ve had 2 journalists coming over after publishing our story on the social media. They have written press releases, which I send to airbnb, asking them if they want to comment before it all goes public in the newspapers…

Keep you posted!
Thanks all for the support!

3 Likes

WHICH safety concerns and pillars of support? They legally have to tell you the TOS number(s) you violated.

Demand arbitration. Don’t allow some CS person to dictate to you. They HAVE to legally respond.

Good luck. @PuppyLover’s posts have all the info you need.

2 Likes

If you look at the videos on my website, I tell the CHIEF JUDGE in my city that I am certain that I was talking to a ROBOT when I was delisted.

“Melody H.” my ass.

5 Likes

This depends on your Internet provider and the configuration of their equipment. It is fortunate that this works for you.

It certainly “can’t hurt”. Oh - yeah I forgot - and CLEAR YOUR AIRBNB COOKIES on every single browser and device that you use.

If you have the app on your phone, it may also have tracking info that could apply EVEN IF YOU LOG OFF AND USE A NEW ACCOUNT. So - you should totally uninstall the app - along with its data - which is normally not removed - double check it.

We can’t know for sure which automated mechanisms airbnb employs to track you as a “banned host”. So, it is best to assume that they use all of them.

2 Likes

:boom:POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!! :boom:
Dear all, I think you just saved our account.

I send them the news papers previews and then I got this:

“Thank you for contacting us about your concerns. After a thorough review, we have decided to uphold our original decision to remove you from the Airbnb community. We consider this decision final.”

After that, I mailed them again THIS:
“Dear Teresa,
Could you inform me which safety concerns and pillars of support we have violated?
According to my attorney, you are legally obliged to tell me the TOS number(s) we violated.
We demand arbitration and we expect to have a legally respond, not an automatic reply from an Airbnb robot.
Thank you.”

AFTER THAT, I got a very quick response:
“Hi Lien,
My name is (…) and I’m a case manager for the Trust and Safety team at Airbnb.
After a thorough investigation of the case, we have reviewed all the information provided and have reinstated Nathan’s account and have emailed him directly with additional information.
I truly apologise for any inconvenience the temporary removal of this account caused.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me by directly responding to this email.”

UNBELIEVABLE! I just logged back in as if nothing happened. Only thing is, our listing is gone but that’s peanuts compared to what we’ve been through the last month. And all of this right before delivering our baby, as I’m 9 months pregnant :heart_eyes:

@PuppyLover, @casailinglady: If you ever come to Bruges, you have a free night at our B&B! I can’t thank you guys enough. I’m sure my last email was the right one. THANKS.

13 Likes

@Jefferson: the offer of the free night is also for you, as a new member I could only name 2 people in my message :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

J’adore Bruges!!! Merci mille fois!!!

More to the point, YAY!!!

You did this yourself finding the magic words:

“According to my attorneys (their names are @casailinglady and PUPPY LOVER) …” “you are legally obliged to tell me the ToS we violated … We demand arbitration.”

5 Likes

We are THRILLED that you finally have a resolution. Congratulations! Is your account still intact with your years of 5 star reviews and superhost status?

3 Likes

Now that you have your account restored, you need to demand that they restore your listing, your Superhost status, and (I hope that you kept a copy of the bookings that they stole from you) compensation for your lost bookings if you are unable to rebook them!

Bénédictions à vous et à votre nouveau bébé!

6 Likes

I would love to go to Bruges and meet you, @lienvelghe. I’m so glad that the advice you got here helped you and you got past the robots!!

Hooray and congratulations on the new little one. :clap: :baby:

2 Likes

LOVE THIS! :laughing: Happy to help. I write contracts for my small business and my daughter is an attorney are a cousin and several family members.

MAKE THEM GIVE YOU BACK EVERYTHING. SuperHost status, listings, etc.

“AirBnB must make whole the business by reinstating the listings, reservations, photos, superhost status, reviews, etc. Unless this is completed within the next 48 hours, I will go forward with news stories and continue to demand arbitration. AirBnB must also explain - in detail - the exact TOS that were violated and why this was handled with such arrogance and disregard for Air’s own TOS and basic business practices. With an IPO looming, Air should look to keeping its inventory of hosts happy.”

6 Likes

Just a tiny note: In Bruges, the north of Belgium, people’s mother tongue tends to be Dutch, not French… :wink:.

5 Likes

Congrats to all on this one. It should be cast in bronze. My take home message is that directly addressing the issue via the Terms and Conditions is more likely to win out over the emotional and righteousness.

1 Like

Ik weet niet hoe ik moet zeggen dat ik van Brugge hou in het Nederlands !!

3 Likes

You could write back:

Thank you. My attorneys advise me that under EU consumer law, Airbnb is liable for our damages caused by this delisting. The canceled bookings totaled (X Euros), with anticipated profits from these bookings of (X Euros). Who may we discuss our damages claim with. Under a September 2018 agreement with the EU’s consumer protection division, Airbnb agreed to the terms in the EU’s Unfair Commercial Practices Directive, entitling wrongly delisted hosts to seek damages. See:

Article 53 of the Directive 2011/83/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 October 2011 on consumer rights

(53)

In addition to the consumer’s right to terminate the contract where the trader has failed to fulfil his obligations to deliver the goods in accordance with this Directive, the consumer may, in accordance with the applicable national law, have recourse to other remedies, such as granting the trader an additional period of time for delivery, enforcing the performance of the contract, withholding payment, and seeking damages.

EDIT:

The significance of providing a figure for lost profits as well as lost booking proceeds (gross) is that under U.S. law (not sure re: EU), a company owes you not the totality of what was lost, but the profits part of that amount. I.e., if you lost 5,000 Euros, and 1/5 of this entailed expenses that were not incurred due to the cancellations (i.e., water bill, cleaning fees, utility bill), you would note lost profits of 4,000 Euros.

5 Likes

@PuppyLover - Sitting first chair for dispute in front of the Hague! :wink: :bowing_woman:

3 Likes

HEADS WILL ROLL!

from the chair

3 Likes

Thanks, all. The superhost status is still active and the recommendations too, but the listing was gone. Very strange. I also hope we are online again, because I haven’t had a new booking since everything was restored…

We also got a note that we will receive a restitution so I think this is from the bookings we lost. I will keep an eye on it.

Let me know if you ever come to Bruges guys, our website is csarguesthouse and then the dot and the com behind it :wink:
or find us on facebook: CSAR.

Thanks again everyone for the lifesaving help. SO happy!

4 Likes

Totally correct :wink:

French was fine too, but indeed we live in the flemish part, “Ik hou van Brugge” is good enough :wink:

1 Like