Super host suspended

The fact that you have to seek AirBnb’s permission, judgement, and oversite to enter and repair a problem on your own property is reprehensible. Think about that.

5 Likes

Personally, I agree smoking pot shouldn’t be doing drugs, though laws vary by location. I’m way more concerned with not using common sense, annoying the neighbors or leaving a hard to remove smell. Just inconsiderate.
The emphasis on illegality in my suggested tweet/Facebook post was to get Airbnb to sit up and take notice.

1 Like

I don’t have any. Cigarette smokers smoke outside on the balcony, where there is a chair, table, and ashtray. It’s warm enough where I live that windows are open all the time, so even if the smell was on their clothes, etc, it doesn’t linger.

Marijuana is a non-issue to me, and I’ve only found evidence of harder drug paraphernalia once after a guest left.

What adults do in private isn’t my business nor do I care, as long as they treat the space respectfully, which means not damaging things and leaving it reasonably clean and tidy.

2 Likes

This is why you are banned. It is not your space to “pop in” during a guests stay. The only exception I can think of is if you did a disclosed daily clean like a hotel. Wifi reset is not an emergency. I would have complained as well.

RR

RR

3 Likes

Depends on your state. In NC & SC it is considered an illegal drug.

I don’t care if guests smoke it as long as discrete & on porch so my condo doesn’t stink

Squirrel moment: I find it odd that Netflix posts a warning if a show features smoking tobacco but no warning if pot.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem that odd to me, considering that smoking cigs is a major health hazard and pot isn’t.

2 Likes

In fairness, it’s probably more accurate to say that the health hazards of pot are still largely unknown.

3 Likes

Yes, I would too. And I do see it as a reason for suspension for an Airbnb host. I think (I’m not 100% sure) that hosts need to give 24 hours notice if they intend to enter a rented property.

I can also understand why Airbnb believes that they felt unsafe with a host (a complete stranger) who just feels that they can pop in willy nilly.

Because the ‘incident’ was incorrect behaviour by the host which could have applied to all the properties. It’s also a bit weird to complain to Airbnb that windows were open. That’s how they will see it. Trust and safety is a big thing with Airbnb.

People have never smoked in one of my rentals as far as I know. Mind you, in this climate guests often have the windows open anyway. I have found a cigarette packet once or twice but no smell. I ask them during the house tour if they smoke (although usually, you don’t have to) and then tell them that it’s fine to smoke outside. Rather than have ‘don’t do this’ rules I find it better to tell them what they can do.

1 Like

Or country :wink:

It’s been decriminalised here in Spain and you can cultivate it legally, the proviso being that it is for your own consumption.

Difficult to walk past a lot of bars outside terraces without catching a whiff…

JF

It’s weird to me to use that word for weed. It’s like saying that booze has been decriminalised - in the US - since 1933. Prohibition would have had me leaving the country, I think. :wink:

Well, it’s not like it’s some new thing, and there have been plenty of studies. I’ve known pot smokers for over 50 years. If anything, they are younger looking and younger acting than those their age who are straight and none have suffered any ill effects from it.

2 Likes

I’m not interested in arguing or doing anyone’s research. I’m pro-universal legalization. I’m completely aware of the racist aspect of criminalization.

I’ll leave it there.

4 Likes

The same happened to me. Guests were overstaying at my home in Malibu. They wanted to create a false record by sending a message on the Airbnb platform that they left. When I walked into the residence with clean bedding and cleaning products, they started yelling at me. I tripped and broke a large vase.

Guests told Airbnb that I attacked them with a vase and that I was racist and aggressive. Airbnb canceled all my reservations, closed my entire account with my listing in Malibu and Las Vegas.

I was able to list the las vegas property on Airbnb again through a management company. If the condos you rent are located in a multi-unit location, there is a chance you will be able to re-list (without disclosing the unit #) under a different account and start from scratch.

I lost 89K+ in bookings. You should get the contact information (e-mail address and phone number) of all your upcoming tenants because I am sure your account will be closed and you will lose the revenue

2 Likes

Air Bnb is a liberal company that will always side with the guest over the host. 100% of the time, everytime. As soon as you accept that, you can move on much easier dealing with them.

I had a faulty background check shut down my account last year. Simply because Air BnB, put in the wrong middle initial in their query. No apology, nothing. Shut down my account, CANCELLED 19 bookings worth over 20K. I called, they couldn’t care less. Took a week for them to figure out what THEY did.

So they will get back to you, when they feel they have punished you enough.

1 Like

Airbnb isn’t in the punishment business. They just find it’s cheaper to shut down a host, and cancel bookings than it is to take a chance with a bad host.

2 Likes

Based on Chesky’s latest charming host-centric spiel, why can’t Airbnb add “Suspension appeal process” to it’s list of procedures?
Because it’s cheaper to suspend per algorithm and not expend any resources investigating. As long as you have new accounts coming in, just shut down anything with a characteristic of a “problem” account with a minimum investment of time and effort.

5 Likes

Sad but true …

RR

3 Likes

From the number of posts I’ve been reading lately about host account suspensions, it seems like they doing this with increasing frequency. Maybe it’s just due to the many reports of getting much worse guests since COVID, guests who seem to be savvy scammers who know exactly what lies to tell to get a refund.

“Unsafe”, “bugs”, “cameras”, “discrimination” are keywords these types of guests learn on blogs to say in order to get refunds, and which also get hosts’ listings suspended.

3 Likes

There is the dirty face mask scam now… They place a dirty face mask behind a nightstand and demand a refund for the cleaning fee.

Uggh. Amazing the lengths people will go to to scam a free stay.