Super host suspended

Hello hosts,

I am baffled and confused. I am a super host ( have been for almost five years) airbnb has suspended me and they won’t communicate with me when the will reinstate my account. How long does an investigation process take? WHY? did they suspend all the properties? and not just where the incident occurred?

Your suggestions, recommendations and words of wisdom welcomed.

2 Likes

Off you go to social media…yell on facebook and Twitter…that seem to be the only way to reach them when they wont communicate directly with you.
They hate poor publicity!

6 Likes

What happened?

yes, why do you think this happened?

RR

1 Like

Situation: internet wasn’t back on yet after the winter storm in Houston. I (owner) showed up when they were out to fix the router. I complained to AirBnb that the windows were open and the heat was on while there was marijuana all over the house. Apparently in my complaining to AirBnb, their counter claim that they felt “unsafe” that I entered without telling the guest “TRUMPS” my their violation of house rules (weed, smoking inside). Because they felt “unsafe??” we have our three units with hundreds of reviews now suspended. WTF?? No one will get back in touch with my manager. We have stellar reviews and are very professional hosts, FYI. I never post on here because I have NEVER had an issue like this.

Did you tell the guests that you were entering the property to fix the issue, via the app so there is evidence to prove they were advised?

3 Likes

From what everyone has said here, Tweets to @airbnb seem to work best, but you need to be more clear on your first post there than you were here.

I suggest that your Twitter post say

"All of my listings were suspended without notice or AirBnB hearing my side! After a guest at one unit in Houston complained about the internet not working following the Texas power outages, I went to the unit at the guest’s request to fix the router. When I entered the unit was full of marijuana smoke and the windows were wide open during still freezing weather! I reported this to AirBnB, but apparently the guests told AirBnB they felt “unsafe” because I entered AT THEIR REQUEST!

They were the ones violating Texas laws by smoking an illegal substance in MY house! Why is AirBnB suspending my listings? I’m not the one that broke the law! AirBnB, I’m requesting immediate reinstatement on Twitter because you will not communicate with me. If you do not, I will continue to repeat this account of my experience on social media."

This is based on my assumption that they complained internet was out. If that wasn’t the case, yes, if you entered without warning you may have a problem, but I still think that it’s AirBnB’s fault for suspending you with no notice and without listening to your side. This happens far too much and it’s partly because the contract phone answerers are no longer properly trained, the turnover is too high.

I would also post to AirBnB’s accounts on Facebook. I don’t do Instagram, but if I did I would post there too. Apparently they do respond.

10 Likes

Sorry your listing is suspended, but if you just went in when the guests were out without arranging a time with them to fix the internet, that wasn’t cool.

And why would you call Airbnb to say the windows were open or there was marijuana?

1 Like

Tweet is 280 character limit. Make your best case. If they complained about the internet, that helps.

“Reported guests to Airbnb for violating drug laws & they shut down my listings! Came to reset router, windows open, strong drug odor. Knocked loudly, announced, found drugs. Guests were out, told Air I made them feel unsafe. Per license/insurance, I can’t ignore illegal activity!”

You can add more characters on Facebook:

“I was trying to be nice by not reporting the guests to the police; I just wanted them to stop doing illegal drugs on my property which creates a big risk for me.”

3 Likes

Better 2nd statement:

“If the neighbors had reported activity to the police, my guests could easily have been arrested! I just wanted them to stop doing drugs on my property which creates a big risk for me and them.”

1 Like

This hit a nerve and I can relate!
I had idiot one-month LTR guests as a one-off at my Philly property – friends of friends of my daughter who were moving to the city to start new jobs and waiting for their apartment lease to start. I was happy to help a few young people out.
But instead of smoking weed discretely on the back patio, they did it on the front stoop with boombox. I got a blistering email from the next door neighbor. It’s a family neighborhood. I called the guests and read them the riot act.
Weed is decriminalized in Philly but the police have discretion to arrest. They could have ended up charged if my neighbor had called the police instead of notifying me.

1 Like

This really does get to the point. Why we have to air our grievances in public to get AirBnb to address a private issue is beyond me. I don’t think the call center in Asia really has their finger on the pulse as to what the crux of the issue is.

2 Likes

Yes I went in to fix the problem they were asking me to fix, but no, I didn’t ask I just knocked and popped in to take a look. Making the call was stupid, we should have just complained later. We will not make that mistake again. How are you guys handling people violating your drug/smoking policies. Rather than complaining to a powerless peon at AirBnb, would it. be more productive to post notices of fines being given for breaking smoking/drug policy? At least generate some revenue off it? (If there is a sign that there is not smoking/drug use, and they violate it, I’d rather fine them $50 for the smoke than take it up with AirBnb. If the notice is there for all to see, I would think guests are less likely to “fight it” if you ask for damages, as opposed to just complaining to AirBnb for breaking the rules. IE, “Fine” vs. “breaking house rules.”

I think this a non-starter. How would you monitor without being intrusive? And if it’s truly illegal, you’re allowing illegal activity if guests pay you to do it. Not a great idea. You could do a fine for just smoking (nonspecified), with the goal being your rental does not reek requiring extra cleaning/deodorizing for the next guest.

Did they ask you to fix it “In the App”?

My contract has a clause where we , or a representative, has the right to enter, without permission, for repairs. This clause in a signed contract would be helpful, maybe and probably, to show to ABB that guest pre-approved entry for the repair, and already signed off on it. It is also posted in my listing.

5 Likes

Newsflash

Smoking pot is not “doing drugs”

5 Likes

I doubt you will get far having entered the space without any contract to allow it unless their request to fix it is in the message app. However, it seems that the extensive power outage was an extraordinary event for which you should be cut some slack. The lack of Airbnb communication is inexcusable.

1 Like

Taking aside the issue over “house rules”, entering a property without the guests explicit permission is a something we wouldn’t do. The few times there has been an issue, we’ve always waited until the guest was in attendance before going in. Obviously in the event of an emergency repair, e.g. burst pipe etc, then it’s a different story.

Windows open and heat on, unless specified in your house rules is just stupid guest behaviour, some will do it, some won’t. It comes over as petty complaining to Airbnb about that.

If you found some weed, and your house rules prohibit both the possession and use, then the correct procedure would have been for you to simply ask Airbnb to terminate the booking, due to the guests breaking your house rule in respect of that, and that alone.

It’s your property, not Airbnb’s, they are merely a booking channel. If you weren’t asking for the booking to be cancelled, I have no idea what you hoped to achieve by calling Airbnb.

JF

2 Likes

you can use contracts now with abnb?

I have always done a contract with AirBnb. It is in my rules. I did contracts before AirBnb existed and I would not ever let people into my biggest investments without a contract. Foolish. AirBnb is only a listing platform. I do understand that for people doing shares or one night visits it might not be practical, but anyone with a large house should have a contract in my very strong opinion on this topic. AirBnb doesnt own the property, doesnt pay the mortgage, and doesnt give a hoot about the owner either. Their sole focus is keeping the guest happy, and to do this they need x amount of inventory on the site. Properties are expendable they wont fold without you on the site. You will never be missed by them.

4 Likes