Super host status

We opened in February and here we are in April with our superhost status, yipee.

So people what made you lose a superhost status?

Mark

Hi @Flettie

If you have a look at the Airbnb Help Centre and search for Superhost - it will explain how it works, and under what situations you would lose your Superhost status.

Mainly if you cancel or your ratings drop.

What makes you assume people here have lost their SH status :slight_smile:

Most folks here have earned and have kept their Superhost status. We’ve been SH 3+ years, since we opened.

1 Like

I guess I was after stories where people inadvertantly lost their SH status - or by guest misbehaviour etc :wink:

Sorry, no thrilling “lost super host” story here either! I got it the first quarter I hosted and have kept it for 4 years. The easiest way to lose it is a cancellation. It only takes one to knock you out for a year.

There isn’t really a way to lose it through guest misbehavior. CS might shut down a listing if there’s a grave customer complaint, but SH is metric based. A mischievous guest can only affect SH status through retaliatory reviews. Those are pretty rare (I’ve had 1 or 2 in four years).

2 Likes

I lost it once, @Flettie, back in the mists of time. My property flooded, and the guest could not decide what to do. She stalled for days, saying no to my offer to call CS, just wanting the flood to go away, but it wouldn’t. She repeated, “Let’s wait and see” right up until she ticked “host wants me to cancel” and I got a message from Airbnb telling me to hurry up and agree so the guest could make new plans. I was dealing with a flood that was taking up valuable Airbnb-trap research time, so I agreed.
SH badge disappeared and penalties slammed into place.
I called CS, and they did get the penalties removed, but I wasn’t a SH for that quarter. Nor should I have been. I should have known better what to do.
Not a big deal if it happens to you, so don’t worry about it. The travel credit is nice, but the only guest in seven years who has mentioned it said, “That means you will give me chocolates and stuff, right?”
Wrong. It means I will cancel only when tricked. :wink:

7 Likes

Can I like this post 100 times? so refreshing.

7 Likes

I had my first guest Dec 27 and got superhost badge April 10. Some hosts wear the badge with pride and some think there are so many superhosts that the badge is meaningless. It seemed kind of easy to me, so count me in the latter camp, but maybe I was lucky. Aside from me canceling a confirmed reservation, a single one star review from a guest would bring my perfect 5-star rating down to 4.76, so the badge certainly could be lost much easier than earned.

Still there doesn’t seem to be any benefit to the badge. It seems that it doesn’t affect search rankings any more and searching for only superhost listings is buried in the advanced search filtering.

1 Like

It’s the kind of thing that you wouldn’t know unless you had a sudden uptick in bookings. I certainly think having it is better than not having it and it’s easy to get and keep for my kind of listing in my kind of town. I’m one who does search first with that filter on and only turn it off if there aren’t enough suitable listings. I’ve yet to turn it off though and find a “better” non superhost to rent from.

We got ours sh badge for Tiny Tiki Trailer Zone after 10 5* reviews. My hub is pretty tickled! But I know what might happen or have to happen and might happen sometime, so I’m not counting on it. But it is nice! Hats off to those experienced hosts who kept hold onto the badge!
I’m not sure, but I think our page listing placement is pretty good, our weekends are getting all booked, but not far in advance.

1 Like

Yep, I just lost superhost because of a toxic guest. Here is her review (all 1’s)…and then my reply. Airbnb says I have lost it until July review.

“The heater was in the room and it was a lot of noise, it was impossible to sleep and if you turn it off you die of cold. We found the apartment quite dirty when we arrived so we had to clean it and buy our own sheets because they were full of shit, the same with towels. It is very far from the center and the bus is expensive, it is certainly more profitable to rent something better on airbnb.”

ME :“Hello Maria, thank you for your review. We have now replaced the door that you smashed and the paint matched perfectly, thank goodness. AirBnB were great in helping us with the money for that. The stench of smoke has also left the flat after much cleaning. I wish you had noticed it is a no smoking property, but never mind we have cleaned it thoroughly, walls, floor, furniture. I will let our professional laundry know about the linen, so sorry to learn now that you had to buy your own. You should have mentioned it to us when you were there, or when you left with effusive praise for my home. Sorry you wont be staying with us again. You are right though, it is probably better you stay somewhere else. Best wishes for the future. Anna. Oh, and that big stain came out of the rug, lucky huh! Cheers”

I do think that it makes a difference in bookings. Hopefully not for too long.

4 Likes

Superhost is based on an average. Once you get a good number of reviews one bad review won’t ruin you.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few people here say they lost SH because a guest asked the host to cancel for the reservation, and they did. I haven’t seen this posted in a while, though. Maybe because AirBnB now charges a host cancelation fee.

I hope you did not post this as the public reply.

1 Like

I’ve seen public replies that made me blanch. One fellow in Ohio called a guest a pendeja (or something similiar). He actually had two public replies in a row that were just astounding. But if the guest doesn’t complain about it, it remains I suppose. If I can find it again I’ll send it to you.

1 Like

Why is that a bad reply? Would appreciate your feedback

Oh dear what a nightmare @sarah1 as @KKC one bad review in itself shouldn’t have led to you losing your superhost status, unless you don’t have too many reviews.

I did not have a lot of reviews. And one other was a problem, with my cleaner not doing her job before guests arrived. So got a low score on that (deservedly so). 25 reviews or less when this toxic person left all 1’s. Having said that in private communication I was a lot more empathetic - and suggested that she maybe seek help, and to look after herself. To be so violent could mean all sorts of terrible things in her life and really it is very sad. But then again she was extremely defiant about house rules, smoking etc, leave clean, etc. In the end what tipped me over was asking us again and again to lie to the insurance company. Not gonna happen.

1 Like

Oh dear @sarah1

I’m sorry you had such a tough time with this guest. Hopefully you will get your superhost status next quarter.

1 Like

The audience of public replies is potential future guests, not the old guest, who is unlikely ever to return to your listing.

We’ve discussed the merits of public replies here. Many of us are against writing them because they make a bad review stick out.

Interesting, and thought provoking. I see your point. I am new at this. To some extent the bad review speaks for itself (eg the "sh*t on the sheets and towels). Not a probable event. I will have to think about this. Only one other example of bad was when a guest arrived and the cleaner (who is no longer with me) had not done her job and I was ranked badly on the cleanliness star. I apologised publicly for this, and explained the outcome from the feedback. I really appreciate your feedback. All my other reviews have been 4/5s. Mostly 5s.

I will say for those that asked, I have not had one reservation since my SH was removed. Thank goodness am booked up for a few months. thanks for your help