Super Host Relief Fund Invitation

I’ll think about it more if I get invited.

1 Like

@Xena Is your listing currently accepting reservations or have you blocked your calendar? Just curious, since your invitation email said “we noticed you’ve earned significantly less on Airbnb recently.” I also have earned significantly less, but I also changed my availability to “Dates unavailable by default” so of course I’m earning less now. I know none of us can predict what exact criteria will get us invited, but I’m curious if we have to have open calendar dates to qualify.

That’s a good point. I unlisted while I’m figuring out if I can move to 30-day minimum on Airbnb, so maybe I’m excluded just because of that.

I have my calendar set to “dates unavailable by default” and just haven’t reopened my calendar since I closed for a renovation in February.

The FAQ (sorry I’m on mobile and don’t have it handy) says hosts who have been hosting the longest and suffer the greatest economic impact. This doesn’t mean that is actually the criteria but that is what BnB says.

I’m surprised I’m the only one who received the email. I figured we all did and started this thread because I wanted to know if anyone else who’s lost Superhost on April 1 had received the invite! I didn’t realize I was sharing sensitive info so I’m sorry if I stepped on any toes. I’m not expecting to receive a dime.

1 Like

If that is in reference to my comment…no I don’t think it’s sensitive. I’ll PM you.

It doesn’t seem sensitive to me :woman_shrugging: I’m glad you told us so that we can root for you :grinning: And it’s nice to have some positive news on the forum.

3 Likes

@Xena - I think it is great to hear that they are doing something that they said they would. I wondered if this fund would ever play out for anyone. I’m glad to hear that someone is getting traction on this, and wish you best of luck. Please keep us updated, and good luck!

2 Likes

Is @Xena the only one on this forum to have received an invite?

My mom and I, both super hosts who meet all the criteria and who check many other forums on this issue, have not heard of anyone else reporting receipt of an invite.

However, hats off to Xena if she in fact received one and there was no glitch! Gives hope to the rest of us…

1 Like

How long have you been hosting and where are you based @Grendel

No-one else appears to have had one on this forum but Airbnb does say they are happening in April and May so not surprising really.

Looks like they are starting in the US first

Hi @Helsi, we are in Sonoma County (so the US). I’m still hopeful that more of us will get invites. Good luck to you as well!

We certainly haven’t been contacted, even though we loosely fit the criteria. I’m not holding my breath on this one though.

JF

1 Like

Hosting since 2015…

If folks haven’t seen it, I’d like to link the overview of the SuperHost Relief Fund and related FAQ page updated on April 9.

According to AirBnB:

We’ll email invitations to a few thousand hosts every week through the end of May. Superhosts who’ve been with Airbnb the longest and who’ve suffered the greatest decline in earnings compared to last year will get invited first.

and

To qualify, hosts who offer a place to stay must:

• Have no more than two active listings
  • Have a verified identity
  • Have been a Superhost for a year or more in total
  • Have lost a significant percentage of their earnings due to COVID-19
  • Show a reliance on Airbnb as a vital source of income

I’m not sure why I was chosen to apply as many here meet these qualifications. This could be another case of AirBnB saying one thing and doing another.

It could be because I host in Seattle, which was affected a few weeks earlier than other markets. Then again, I haven’t seen anyone in the Seattle host group mention receiving the invite. Chances are my number just came up lucky. That is, if I am lucky enough to be chosen to receive any money from this fund. I’ll still be surprised if I actually see a payout. I don’t feel entitled to receive anything from AirBnB, but it would be a nice surprise windfall.

5 Likes

Thank you @Xena for your informative post!

One thing I’ll add to @Xena’s informative post re the criteria, is that elsewhere in the Airbnb info it states that the “only 2 listings” isn’t exactly that- it states that you can have more than 2 listings if they are all in the same home. So if you have a listing for 2 or 3 private rooms in your home, and one listing which includes all those rooms to be bookable together, you would still be eligible.

3 Likes

I’ve been hosting for 8 years … my whole house. I’ve been Superhost for over 3 years, and lost all income from March through May, but haven’t heard anything yet.

1 Like

We’ve been hosting for four years, Superhosts the entire time. We’ve heard nothing but “crickets” from Airbnb. It’s OK though - we had a rash of cancellations and then have stayed relatively booked hosting only those who have “essential travel.”

1 Like

By “essential travel” we mean those who have no choice but to travel. The idea of staying in a hotel would not be acceptable right now. We are fortunate in that we can space three days between guests so if the experts are right, the virus should be gone in three days.

Thanks @Xena for sharing your experience with the relief program! Do you, or anyone else, know whether the fund will cover ones total losses (so the difference between this and last year revenues) or just the expenses (rent, utilities, etc…)? Thanks! :slight_smile:

No. It’s a grant. They have said that it could be up to $5000 but if they gave everyone $5000 that would only cover 3400 hosts. This is a worldwide program we have no idea what the criteria are going to be to get a grant and we don’t know how many superhosts qualify to even be invited. But it’s clear that the money distributed will not be covering total losses.

3 Likes