Super Bowl- When do I lower my price?

No
The only boosts you have control over are New Member and IB. There are other boosts, but you cannot control them like conversion rate, number of views, and others)
Superhost would help you because you have no reviews on the new listing, but it does not boost the listing.

And yes, generating bookings is a lot of work. I spend several hours a week maintaining all channels and social media.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll look into it.

I’m wondering what to do about this. I am a new host and have no reviews. My first guest is here as of last night. My second test is supposed to show up for the Super Bowl. He originally books like four nights. Then he switched it to two nights. Yesterday he made it one night. Literally the night before the game and then leaving Sunday. I feel kind of jipped. I feel like I could have rented the room out to someone who wanted to stay for a week. But I feel like an asshole if I changed last minute on him and also as a new host I’m not sure how much I should be changing anything yet. But if I had to do over, the first time he changed it from 4 to 2 nights I should have just cancelled entirely. Because now he’s just going to be here for one night and I’m not getting much money at all

When you have a big event like this you need to set a minimum number of days on your calendar. This sucks, more than being sick really, but nothing you can do. You also need to have a strict cancellation policy for big events. While you’re resting in bed you should read as much on this forum as you can possibly stomach. Therre are a lot of tricks and policies you need to familiarize yourself with pronto.

If by some chance he cancels his whole trip, run in and immediately set some limits for next weekend. And though Airbnb will have a pop up telling you to lower your price you probably shouldn’t do that.

3 Likes

I agree. This is just an overall crappy situation but there’s not a lot you could do about it. If you cancel the reservation it will block off that night and you won’t be able to re-book it.

You might consider calling Airbnb and letting them know the situation. They might take care of it for you…originally I got booked on accident for super bowl (my listing is 6 months out and I hadn’t upgraded the rates for that weekend when someone booked it back in th fall) I called Airbnb and explained that I hadn’t yet changed the pricing before it opened up but that it was a huge weekend for me and I couldn’t take that listing at such a small price. They cancelled it for me without any penalties. Especially as a new user you could just play naive a bit and say when they kept changing the reservation you didn’t realize you could decline it. Ps. That may actually be true too so you know for next time if someone books your place and then wants to change dates you can always say no without penalty at that time and the days will open back up.

True or not, new user or not it would be a real dick move to cancel someone’s reservation the week of the event just because you don’t really know what you’re doing. If a host did that to me I’d be apoplectic. That’s the kind of dick move that should keep someone from being allowed to continue as a host.

1 Like

If you do an incognito search, are there many available places still available near you? If so, what are they charging? I’m surprised you’re not booked yet.

1 Like

hi Chris, what social media u use? tks

Yeah I did take a peek…most of the places I’ve seen are booked. However, there seems to be a TON of new listings so my place doesn’t come up at the top like I usually see it. I just lowered my price so fingers crossed it books.

The places that are “like” mine and have been around for awhile are all booked.

Are you familiar with the strategies to improve search listing position?

No. I assumed because I was a superhost I would come up at the top. I didn’t know there were ways to improve your lisiting position beyond that…

Oooh boy. Ok. How concerned are you about your privacy on this forum? You’re using your real name so I would think maybe not so much but I can PM if you’d prefer. I have some observations based on a search I did which is why I ask.

1 Like

I’m totally open to critiques and if you leave it publicly then other people have the benefit of your research and intel. Sure you can pm me too, but I don’t have an issue with you sharing your thoughts in the forum, providing they are respectfully critical.

Oh, I don’t have anything critical other than you only have few days left to get booked and you don’t fully understand how Airbnb works…That’s secondary at this point. Primary is figuring out why I don’t see your listing when I search.

First step was finding your listing. Not hard to do given your name and current listing description. First it came up in Italian, not helpful. By editing the URL I got the US version of the listing. Step two is trying to see where you come up in search now that I’ll know your listing when I see it.

I used a Chrome incognito window and put in some search criteria to narrow. I selected these filters: 2 people, entire place, less than $500, instant book and Superhost. I chose Feb 2-6th as my dates. I know you want to have a minimum stay so no one books out one or two nights but it seems that you won’t allow a Saturday arrival. Anyway using those parameters I didn’t have you come up in search at all. I zoomed in on the map centering on the airport which you are near and you still didn’t come up in the less than 10 listings that are there when I zoom in.

If people can’t find you they can’t book you. Maybe I messed up on the filters. Do you have instant book on? It truly sucks that new people with no experience are being rewarded with the best placement in search. One would think Airbnb could reward the people that keep them in business year round but that apparently isn’t on their list of priorities.

3 Likes

I changed it so people can book a Saturday arrival. Yes, I have instant book on!

What’s weird about this is that I’m always 85% booked. How can people all of sudden not find me?

No idea. I just did another search and I’m still not seeing you when I put in various Super Bowl dates. If I do a general search for just Minneapolis with no filters at all then you are middle of the first page and you show up on the map but if I put in some Super Bowl dates you aren’t. I did one search Feb 1-6 and you showed. So double check all your date settings.

The only thing I can guess is that so many new listings have pushed most experienced hosts off.

What parameters did the places you co-host that are booked already have set that differ from yours?

All the places I work with are larger venues. It was different because they can fit larger parties.

Ok, good luck and keep us posted.