Summer Intern wants to arrive with family to "move in"?

Really? What are you moving in that you need the help of mom, dad and sister? I’m trying to see all sides. I get that it may be a new experience to send your kid off to live in someone’s home for 3 months. However, my home has other guests that may be uncomfortable with a bunch of strangers in the house. I hardly have friends or family visit me, because I am sensitive to the household dynamic. Most of the time I rent to one guest per room. Once in a while a husband, wife, mom or dad with arrive with the guest, but not the whole family! How do I nicely explain that this is too much?

It probably hasn’t occurred to them. It wouldn’t to me but our rentals are separate places so that’s different. All you need do is reiterate whatever you have in your rules.

“My parents and sister will be helping me with the move in Saturday and Sunday, I hope you don’t mind that.”

@cabinhost - The question about furniture was my first thought. The room has a queen bed, dresser, desk with chair and an overstuffed chair (it is a large room), shelving, a place to hang clothes and hang towels. I’ve had guests that brought bicycles, desktop computers, one even liked to weave so she brought a small loom.

She didn’t answer my question when I asked what she was moving in.

They live about an hour and a half away.

In both my pre-approval and pre-arrival communication I asked her to be sure to read the rules. She stated that she had done so.

So in that case, it will be easy for you to let the guest know that they are not allowed to have addition guests with them ‘as per our house rules’.

1 Like

You need to clarify with her that she is renting a furnished room and may not bring additional “furniture” with her (if this is your position, of course), and if the room is not suitably furnished for her, she needs to find other accommodations.

She may be looking at it like it’s a dorm room where she can bring a microwave and small fridge, etc.

What are your house rules?

2 Likes

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and wondered how they worded it, other than a simple response of “… it’s in the rules…”. This person hasn’t even arrived yet. I’d like it to be a pleasant summer. There may be an opportunity here to explain about home sharing, but I am having writers block and therefore struggling with how to put it into words… nicely.

OMG I never thought of it that way. I have a rule about no space heaters, but never thought to ban appliances, like refrigerators and microwaves… however I do have a “no food in your room” rule, so that should take care of both of those items. Whew! Saved!

Well, it should but unless you have a more responsive communication going with her, you can’t be sure. She needs to be open about what she is bringing so you don’t have to negate everything when she arrives. The fact that she is bringing her whole family to help her move in is a bit foreboding.

Clarify, clarify, clarify.

1 Like

Maybe a kid leaving her parents for the first time? Not an unusual request in my book… her family wants to see where she’ll be living for a few months. Unpack her clothes, get a lay of the land, go out for a bite to eat before the family takes off. meh.

5 Likes

Four adults over 2 days to “move into” a furnished room? That doesn’t sound good at all to me. If she won’t reply in a timely fashion pre-arrival I wouldn’t expect her to do so at any other time. And with family only an hour and a half away it sounds like they might be frequent visitors? On the other hand you seem really keen to have this booking and make the guest happy.

Everything that can be moved into a furnished room in a home should be able to be moved in in a few minutes by a healthy able bodied someone working alone. Dropnothing is fine with this booking, I’d be cancelling it. LOL.

2 Likes

Okay, this has been very helpful…

Here is what I have written for my response so far…

Hi xx: Homesharing is a bit different than staying at a hotel or in a dorm room. This is a private home that is shared by a few guests. When staying in someone’s home, there is a careful balance and dynamic where guests and the host live together. There is a respect for the privacy of the individuals in the home. Arriving with 3 people to “move in” puts a strain on that dynamic.

Back to my original question… Since this is a fully furnished room, what are you planing to move in?

4 Likes

test check okay! …

yeah, after noticing that it’s specified as a two day affair (helping Saturday and Sunday!) I’m gonna amend my “meh”, to an “uh-oh”.

4 Likes

Clarity Clarity Clarity!

I’ve had a bad day. More tomorrow…

1 Like

Sure - it is possible that the

So far, however, she hasn’t mentioned it.

Thank you all for your in put. It helped me to get over the writer’s block. Here is what I sent:

Hi xx: Homesharing is a bit different than staying at a hotel or in a dorm room. This is a private home that is shared with a few guests. When staying in someone’s home as a guest, there is a careful balance and dynamic where guests and the host live together. There is a respect for the home and the privacy of the individuals in the home. Arriving with 3 people to “move in” puts a strain on that dynamic. It also causes someone to wonder what you are bringing that it will take 4 people and two days…?

Back to my original question… Since this is a fully furnished room, what are you planing to move in?

I will let you know how she responds… :thinking:

3 Likes

:face_with_thermometer: Ugh! Sick computer… feel better soon…

1 Like

Prompt response from guest:

Apologies, I didn’t phrase my last message very clearly. I will only be checking in tonight, but I will be bringing my things tomorrow. I will only be bringing my clothes and personal necessities, no furnitures.

Because I am traveling with my parents and sister, they thought that they would help me put away my things in the room. If you are not comfortable with that, I understand that as well, and they will not enter your home.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

8 Likes

Yay, that sounds good.

1 Like