Summer Intern wants to arrive with family to "move in"?

It sounds like a nice family outing and she is informing you they may be in the house when she moves in. I would think there is nothing untoward in that. Assuming best case scenario say that because of the arrangements with other guests the house is not suitable for the family hanging out once her stuff has been dropped off but there is a nice place for coffee/brunch/lunch/dinner you highly recommend nearby. Worst case scenario they are there all day and cooking a meal and disturbing everyone else. Either way make it clear now that hanging out after they have “helped her move in” whatever that means, is not an option. Otherwise she will be bringing her intern friends and paramours back when she has moved in.

2 Likes

I think that’s a great idea. I love words.

1 Like

Mom probably also wanted to have a snoop around but the guest is relieved she has an excuse to tell them they can’t come in and hang around.

1 Like

Aw, dear Cabinhost,
You went to a lot of trouble to bring smiles here today.
Thank you!

4 Likes

As Jaquo was the one who led us to the dictionary with “discrete”, I vote the winner for Word of the Day lands in Jaquo’s hat…

No, no. no :slight_smile:
Taking the piss isn’t joking exactly but it also isn’t being serious either. It can also mean 'taking advantage. I.e. “What? I gave you an extra hour to check out and now you want to extend it further? That’s taking the piss…”

5 Likes

A great one to ask non-English people is this:

What does it mean if something is described as ‘bollocks’?
What does it mean if something is described as ‘the dog’s bollocks?’

All very subtle stuff :wink:

1 Like

With homesharing guests I have a rule which says there are no facilities for you to receive visitors. Please let me know if you need someone to come to the house rather than meet them out. Works like a treat for heading off all manner of uncomfortable dynamics.
You see for the family the idea of settling the daughter in her room seems fun and indulges their nosiness about your home. For you and the rest of the guests it probably feels intrusive and domineering. Set a boundary and say no from the start. She can unpack her own suitcases.

2 Likes

Same here. I have that in my rules too. Even though the guest read the rules, I really think that she just didn’t understand what homesharing is about. We had a nice exchange after my request for her to clarify. She arrived this evening without the family in tow. I showed her around the house and her room. I liked meeting her and think that she will be a good fit for the rest of the summer. She didn’t bring anything with her, she will do that tomorrow, when her family returns to Southern CA. (Her listed city is where she is going to college, not where her family is from) After reading everyone’s feedback, I felt that it would be a good teaching moment, rather than throwing the rules at her and instead talking it out. Sometimes communications can be too short, or incomplete, and I really think that was the situation here - a simple case of miscommunication.

6 Likes

equals “The Cat’s Pyjamas”…

3 Likes

This is how helicopter families roll these days. The closeness is both admirable and creepy.

2 Likes

the dog’s bollocks = the bees knees

Any clearer :slight_smile: :blush: :smile: ???

3 Likes

‘That book is bollocks’.
‘That book is the dog’s bollocks’.

What’s the difference, if any?

:slight_smile:

Yep! Isn’t it strange how one word can mean two different things just by adding ‘dog’s’? You can understand why non-English get confused.

“My English friend said that the book is the dog’s bollocks but I thought that calling something ‘bollocks’ means that it’s rubbish … I mean garbage … I mean trash…”

2 Likes

I would not use a book in that combination.

The expression is mostly used in combination with the more masculine things, gadgets, motorbikes, cars, tools but not with a book!

You willl not often hear a women use the term.
Imagine: “Oh that dress is the dog’s bollocks” :joy:

Bollocks has many uses:
“Ah, bollocks, I dropped my keys in the drain”

2 Likes

Sorry but I do and so do plenty of other females I know. Is it a Yorkshire thing, then?

Mind you, I don’t really subscribe to the fact that the above are blokey things! :slight_smile:

@cabinhost - that is brilliant!

Could be, most of my experience with women is mostly from the South East.

But I spend a lot of time (about 2 years) during work in the Middlesborough/Teeside area and yes I admit, it seems the women in the North-East are a different breed.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

So very true! And especially Yorkshirewomen :wink: