Summer bookings down 20% year over year

In the U.S., the markets seeing the fastest recovery post-lockdown are small-town, drive-to tourist destinations in states pushing for lifted restrictions. In Georgia, Texas and Arizona, which were among the first to lift lockdown restrictions in early May, occupancy has increased between 22% and 30% in the past 30 days, higher than the 17.1% national average, according to AllTheRooms Analytics.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/airbnb-hosts-on-their-way-to-recovery-as-coronavirus-lockdowns-lift-193139974.html

1 Like

Sadly, these states match up to increase rates of COVID.

3 Likes

There are going to be a lot of folks who make plenty of money during the covid summer and good for them. I wonā€™t be one for more than one reason but I have no regrets. If I have to empty my retirement account and live off the dole in my golden years, so be it. LOL.

Seriously, I would love to know if Iā€™d get any bookings but whereas my last minute one nighters worked great most of the last 5 years, itā€™s not suited to hosting at this time so Iā€™m glad I committed to doing something else.

As for increased covid rates we will just have to see how it plays out. Too many people donā€™t ā€œbelieveā€ in it until they or someone close to them gets it. But for those of us who donā€™t want to put others at risk it equals a 20% contraction in the economy.

3 Likes

Yeah, my STR is a 1-3 nighter usually. Not worth the cleaning for a short stay. People site-see in Boston and Salem and then go off to other parts of NE.

For now Iā€™m getting unemployment for my self-employed job and the Airbnb so it doesnā€™t really help me to have guests since what I claim gets taken off of my unemployment benefits.

I have some essential workers leaving on Monday (been great guests). Sad to see them go but glad that they were finally able to find an apartment to rent. The few reservations I have keep cancelling.

Anyway, sadly I lost my mom on Thursday to COVID so Iā€™m a believer. Itā€™s really hard when you canā€™t be with someone as they are dying nor go to their funeral.

4 Likes

I am really, really sorry to read this. I know youā€™ve been ā€œa believerā€ from the beginning and surely didnā€™t need this shit. I know thereā€™s nothing I can do but if I could, I would. My deepest condolences.

3 Likes

@Lynick4442 Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. And even sorrier that you could not be with her at that time. It hits so hard. My deepest sympathies!

3 Likes

No wordsā€¦just so sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Thank you. Itā€™s been hard but today Iā€™m holding a modified service called ā€œSitting Sivaā€. Itā€™s all outside on a 1/3 acre and I will have strict social distancing rules and has staggered when the guests will be there. I found food that could be individually wrapped, have canned beverage. I have my guests bringing their own chairs and booze because I really couldnā€™t think of a safe way to do those. I refuse to personally add one more COVID infection.

2 Likes

Oh Lynick4442: Iā€™m sooo sad for you to lose your mom. For any reason. Mine is going to be 90 in November and Iā€™m not looking forward to the day all of us mourn her. Hugs and gentle pat pat pat on your back from me to you.

3 Likes

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and offer sincere condolences to both you and your family.

1 Like

lucky you here in london i am down 95% - in other words biz is dead for time being lost Ā£40k in booking airbnb paid me about Ā£700 as so many just cancelled
am writing it off as a big giant loss
after 9.5 years and 98% bookings year on year this is a 100 reversal
very sad it has all come to an end

@Lynick4442, sorry I missed this post Lynn,

Condolences to you, and yours. A horrible situation made worse by restrictions. We have a very close friend in a similar position, itā€™s just not how any of us thought it would be at this time.

JF

1 Like

For June weā€™re down 75% at one property and 100% at the other . For summer as a whole weā€™re down 85% at one property and 60% at the other. Weā€™re in the Colorado mountains on the edge of the national park.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to read this. Does CO still have restrictions in place or is this just supply side demand lagging?

So, essentially youā€™re having not a bad summer, compared to many.

JF

1 Like

No restrictions anymore.

המקום ינחם א×Ŗכם ב×Ŗוך שא×Ø ××‘×œ×™ ציון וי×Øושלים

My condolences for your loss.

My family has lived here for 107 years, 82 of them in this house. Social distancing rules have delayed memorial services and celebrations of life for everyone that has died since March, so I have 20+ funerary events to attend once itā€™s safe. Small town life, where casseroles and tubs of cookies arrive at your door at such times. :cold_sweat: :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

As much as I tried to make an outdoor socially distanced event, a ā€œfriendā€ came while not feeling well and did not wear a mask and hugged me (even though I tried to pull away) . I should have said something but I wasnā€™t thinking. Well, he just tested with COVID and is not responding to my request to get more details about when symptoms first started, when he was tested, etc. On to of having to watch a zoom burial today, I am getting tested, and had to call all my guests. People are not taking this seriously. I mean we were at a Shiva for a person who dies of COVID. (Sorry, Iā€™m just really upset. )

1 Like

Lynn, Iā€™m so, so sorry for the loss of your mom. Things may have ā€œstabilizedā€ in some places, but deaths continue, as we find out. Hearing it from someone I know brings it all home to me, again.

The story about ā€œyour friendā€ also strikes deeply; this personā€™s selfishness. by not wearing a mask and not adhering to social distancing now puts you, and others, at risk. The argument that ā€œIā€™m not sick, or Iā€™m young, or I donā€™t care if I get sickā€, is flawed. And selfish. And, for me, criminal.

I truly hope you test negative, and you continue to thrive, even in grief.

4 Likes