Suitcase on a bed

Because the bags AREN"T on the floor. They are raised by three to three and half feet above the floor making it easier to access the bags without kneeling on the floor. Furthermore, the bags are not on the bed damaging the linens or providing an easy entrance for bed bugs from luggage to bed.

If you don’t see the advantage of these stands, as every hotel in the States has, then don’t bother.

This is an interesting thread because I normally pack (and unpack) my luggage on the floor. I always thought the foldable luggage racks that some hotels have were outdated, and had no idea what those silly bits of fabric on the bed were for.

I’m now enlightened.

We have the second one shown on this page. They’re pretty inexpensive and give the room a ‘hotelly’ look without needing too much space.

Ash, for me also, very interesting.
I travel a lot and never in my life I have used a luggage rack. Maybe because I stay at Airbnb, guest houses or hostels.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for input to this subject, I made a conclusion and will get something for guest’s luggage.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, “Luggage Rack with Shelf by Casual Home”? So, what’s your take on why luggage racks are a good idea? What @anon67190644 said?

I have a bench at the end of the bed. But the main thing I do (and everyone remembers) is to put it in my house rules and remind guests to review my house rules the day before arrival. Never had a stain since on my white bedding and sofas. Good luck! :grinning:

We use comforters, and they’re washed after each guest leaves.

1 Like

They’re practical of course, but I think one of the advantages is that it makes the place seem like a higher-end hotel room.

The reason I don’t want my suitcase on the floor is because it’s difficult to get into. The reason people put their luggage on the bed is to reduce the need for kneeling, which can be particularly uncomfortable. Luggage racks allow you to raise your suitcase to a similar access height without getting dirt on the bed.

1 Like

But it looks like luggage racks (at least the ones I’ve looked at on Amazon) can only accommodate one suitcase at a time. Is that correct?

That’s all it needs to do. You only put your suitcase on the bed when you’re unpacking / packing. The rest of the time it goes on the floor. Same for a luggage rack… it’s not a permanent storage space. It’s something you use when you need access to your suitcase for whatever reason and when you’re done your case goes back on the floor.

Ok. Fair enough. I guess I was misunderstanding what a luggage rack is for.

I’ve clearly been living out of suitcases too long. Trust me being on the floor with your case is not fun …so on the bed it goes. I am considerate enough to make sure the wheels don’t touch the bedding though …

What’s interesting is how few people unpack. The first thing I do when I arrive somewhere is unpack my case and put things away in my room. I’ve noticed my guests keep their stuff in their cases …I find that odd but maybe I’m the odd one with my unpacking!

2 Likes

The first item in this article seems to suggest that metal luggage racks are preferable to wooden ones. But is it really possible for bedbugs to infest a wooden luggage rack?

Hi @Zandra,

Have you been doing a lot of travelling?

I think it depends how often one is going to be wherever it is. I plead guilty as one of those people who tends not to unpack suitcases. Often for quite long periods.

It’s possible but it seems to me if they’re in the luggage rack they’re also in the bed. In which case I don’t under understand the advice in this article because why would it be safer to unpack on the tiles in the bathroom and then …hmmm, get into your bedbug infested bed?

I had been doing a lot; I’m back home now. But no matter where I stay even for a short period of time I will unpack. And I only travel with hand luggage so it’s not like I have a lot with me …

That’s a good point. Having said that, it does make me more inclined to go with a metal rack As it is, there is little wood in the guest room, and what there is, is treated plywood. I’ve become a bit allergic to wood, because we’ve had a lot of termite infestations here.

I experienced bed bugs in Kerala of all places. Very unpleasant so if you can minimise the risk it makes sense to do so …

1 Like