Squatting Guest LIVE in Real Time ...S.O.S

I have been giving this some more thought. I would call the police again and when they get there I would tell the police that I pay TOT tax and this is a case of defrauding an innkeeper. I would ask the police to give the guests the option of paying the last four days and leaving NOW or go to jail. DO NOT LET THIS CONTINUE ANOTHER MINUTE

California Penal Code Section 537(a) is the statute, do not let the police bully you.

RR

1 Like

Like they said, call the police. Squatters have rights after 30 days like someone mentioned but not until then. You can shut off the utilities or lock them out too because they aren’t tenants and they don’t have legal rights or protections as such. The moment they leave, you can lock them out. Feel free to shut off the gas, water and electric if nothing else works.

Whatever you do, don’t try to physically confront them and force them out. That would technically be illegal and could get you in trouble. They’d probably love to sue you over that.

Go back to the police.

Do not use the words squatter, tenant or lodger.

Use the word transient guest

3 Likes

Trespassing is not a civil matter.

2 Likes

Exactly. I also suggest you show the police the part of the booking where the occupancy taxes are listed.

Occupancy taxes=transient guest

Not a tenant. Not a lodger!!

4 Likes

We know what they say about Karma. She is a b****. Are you still discriminating against guests?

1 Like

Update: He is still there this morning.

This is an updated on the information on June 22, Saturday.

1. No, there is no TOT tax shown on the reservation may be AirBnB suppose to but it does not show.

2. We went to the police stations, then 4 police cruisers and 5 police officers including one supervisor and one captain rushed over and showed up and had a conference on the side talking to DA about our case. They know this person and has been doing this to extorting others exactly same thing last month.

3. No we were not aware of any permit lic. that is required for hosting. Thus we don’t have.

4. AirBnB states reservation is canceled; therefore, we can’t help you.

5. His demand is not in writing. He says, “…if you can give me an offer of $5,000 in cash we will leave.”

6. I (Co-host) actually had a “dinner (i bought the pizza for him) with the Extortionist on Friday night”. He has a Go-PRO cam on wherever whenever he goes for 24/7. So it was kinda strange to have a casual dinner with an “Extortionist (one about to rob you).”

Han Solo got captured.

I feel like I am in the movie Star War II in Empire Strikes Back where when Leia (my host that owns the property), Chewbacca (my subconscious mind) and Han Solo (me the co-host) are captured on Cloud City, and I was the one setting up the table actually having a meal (actually I bought a Costco large combo pizza $10.72) “with the Darth Vader (the AirBnB Extortionist guest)” on Friday night June 21.

By the way he ate half of the pizza and says, “oh boy this is damm good…” For me, I had to swallow and I can’t even chew…i haven’t eat all day because of the situation yet the little piece i try to eat…yes, it’s hard. You can’t cry, smile or call 911. I am aware of how vulnerable I am and it’s not a good idea piss him off. Yet I had to keep composed and calm… anything i say will be used against me… I had to try to establish some kinda of communicate and trust thru Costco pizza combo style.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2576/chino-hills--ca

Chino Hills has regulations governing the short-term rental of properties, particularly in residential neighborhoods in the City. For any specific questions or concerns regarding the current law, we urge you to reach out to the City by emailing codeenforcement@chinohills.org or via phone at (909) 364-2757.

You can also review the City’s Staff Report on short-term rentals, up-to-date code, and City Muni Code Site for more information.

I call BS, so your a host since at least 2016 when you joined this forum, the information is just a click away on your airbnb dashboard under local laws. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I guess the cost of not getting the permit and paying your taxes is you have this problem.

Sorry, no sympathy here.

RR

3 Likes

You bought pizza for a “guest” who has no reservation and has made no payment?

3 Likes

Consult a lawyer and ask if you can lock them out.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. Reservation canceled on Thursday night. Friday night, pizza.

Do you have the right to legally enter the space?

I do since it’s my home; it’s also in my house rules. If I ever run into this situation and the cops aren’t helpful I plan on moving into the space with all the friends, family and dogs we can muster. Once the bathroom door is gone “oh, planned renovations, don’t you know!”, the throat singing and yodeling competitions start. The original version of house rules said something about middle-aged naked twister and turning the bathroom into a tarantula sanctuary.

5 Likes

Does he ever leave the house?

If so, that would be to pack up his things neatly and lock him out.

Can you legally shut off the power, internet and water?

Do any California hosts know the answer to that question?

Concur you will have a hard time if your Airbnb is not legal; would not law enforcement view it as a housemate dispute, a civil matter, in that case?

1 Like

This is really quite funny - we have a host who has no regard for the law it seems, and yet expects the law in the form of the police to help him out. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I know, I have no sympathy for him. If he was paying his TOT tax like I do he would not have this problem. Something is off here, 4 days? What in the hell is he waiting for, Pizza? I am blown away. Once the reservation was cancelled I would have had them out. You cannot take advantage of someone without their permission.

RR

2 Likes

Did you read the thread that @KKC posted a little earlier? The one with this guy’s previous comments here? Hilarious stuff :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m not quite following the reason why you dined with the squatter but why haven’t the utilities been shut off?

1 Like

I think we are being trolled.

RR

3 Likes