Squatting AirBnB Guest

Hmm. Sometimes net connections can be quite unreliable. My internet connection here in my house was flakey for months. It turned out it was less than ideal wiring inside the house. My point being, if a net connection is not working properly, it can be hard to assign blame. But maybe a squatter would not care about a working net connection.

1 Like

This brings up a question for me:
If she were a short term guest, say 4 days, and she overstayed, how would the host remove herļ¼Ÿ

Air can call her and threaten, but they arenā€™t going to physically remove her. Would the police act in this caseļ¼Ÿ

But how can a host actually ā€œmake a guest leaveā€? Are they allowed to use force? Can they hire some muscle? Cut the water and power? (Assuming under 30 days, of course.)

In that case they have no legal rights and you can turn off the power, etc. They might destroy your room in retaliation but at least you have options.

1 Like

Your squatter may be entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of her home but she didnā€™t rent your home, only a room and bath, correct? So why would she be entitled to use your appliances (washer/dryer), fridge, range, dishes, culinary items, etc.? They are yours to enjoy, not hers. Except for basic utilities, restrict her usage of everything else. Let her come after you.

OMGOSH, so sorry this is happening! If I were you, Iā€™d look up the number to Child Protective Services and the next time she pulls that stunt with her daughterā€¦you call them and say that a child has been abandoned!

Mine is 24 for this same reason. I have 6 days to get rid of them. I used to hope or people to book a long stay because i donā€™t offer monthly discounts $$, but the risk is way to high for me to take a chance.

1 Like

Right there!! SHe can not leave 12 years old home alone!! Call child protective services!.

Yes!! Please do this. Tell CPS this person is squatting on your property and is leaving her child unsupervised! Itā€™s not your responsibility to track down her crazy mother!

I really hope you can get out from under this nightmare. YOu donā€™t deserve this!!

wouldnā€™t you have the police take her out for trespassing in this case?

I filed claims twice, one after another. Fist time they paid me 70% of what i asked, which was fine. The second time, the story with socks, i am still in a process of debating with them. My security deposit is 350$, and my second claim is just that. They keep on making fuss about my pool guy company receipt, that it has a different adress that the company is registered under. I asked the case manager, are you serious?? WHat if my husband did the whole job himself, and he does not even have pool company, so it would not count. Guests himself admitted damages, repairs were done,what is the problem?
SO, i dont know how it will turn out this time

12 years old is a legal age to babysit. Iā€™m not sure CPS would be able to do anything. It is total BS to just leave the kid there while she is not there but Iā€™m sure it is not illegal. :angry:

I was interested in the UK laws, theres a big grey area.

Theres no minimum age for a child to be left alone. But if something goes wrong its the parents legal responsibility if the babysitter is under 16 or no babysitter was present.

But police can prosecute at there discretion even if nothing went wrong.

Personally I think it depends on the 12 year old. Some are more mature than others and some are very experienced with dealing with babies.

Iā€™m 30 and have no idea how to look after a baby haha

WHen my daughter was little it was 14

Read the Palm Springs case. You cannot shut off their water and power, or YOU can be sued!

Iā€™ve read it. That fellow was there for more than 30 days. My comment to which you are replying is about a 4 day booking that doesnā€™t leave. But to talk about cases where you can sue, the Palm Springs guy was a well to do professional squatter. If a squatter happened to me Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d be pushing my limits and let them take me to court.

1 Like

Im sure we would all feel just as infuriated and unable to contain ourselves. There is something so wrong about the idea that these thieves get so many rights.

. I feel so bad for this host. This truly has to be one of the worst things that can happen to a host.

2 Likes

Iā€™m no attorney but if your agreement is for less than 30, then I think the law is more on your side. Theyā€™d be trespassing at that point, having not established residency of 30+days. Theyā€™d also have a harder time faking residency at my location as there is no way to receive mail at my address.

Based on another post here, I think I may lower my max stay to three weeks. That way there is a little head room to get them out.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s probabaly a good idea.I think I may lower my max stay to three weeks. That way there is a little head room to get them out

1 Like

I donā€™t think Airbnb is really meant for long term stays of a month or more, thatā€™s what regular rental agreements and leases are for.

1 Like