Squatting AirBnB Guest

In my rental unit I have 7 days from the time a tenant complains (in writing) to fix the issue or I am liable for putting that tenant up in a hotel of their choice until it is fixed. Each state/country is different. I doubt the police would be the ones to enforce without a court order. Just depends on how educated the squatter is about their rights as to what the right move is. I think the poster of the squatter that left on their own dodged a bullet!

Once they have residency established they can squat. No police officer can remove them without a eviction order. Lodgers and long term tenants both are 30+ days. Best thing to do is to collect a deposit for three times the rent because it takes about 2 or 3 months to go through the process to get them out.

Squatings when someone deliberately enters a property without the owners permission and intends to live there. Someone who pays to stay and then doesnā€™t leave is not a squatter.

Luckily if someone tried staying in my house I can just kick them out after their paid stay is up. Even lodgers canā€™t overstay. Plus actual squatting is illegal here. They get a fine and go to prison.

1 Like

Where do you live, Paul? Iā€™m surprised to hear they get prison. In the US squatters is a term that means you stop paying rent and still live there. They usually pay the first month then they canā€™t be forced to leave without due process so they just live there until that happens.

It seems as if having a lease does change their no pay rightsā€¦ ā€œIf a land owner discovers squatters on her property, she does not necessarily have to call the police or proceed with an eviction action. Instead, she may present the squatters with a rental agreement, and the two parties can mutually agree on the terms of the arrangement. Under such circumstances, the squatters would in fact obtain the right to stay in the apartment and pay rent.ā€

Oh no!!! I am boiling in anger just to read this

What if 29 is your max and the guests stays for a more few days without leaving? Doesnā€™t that cause the same issue as the OP?

Where do you live, Paul?

Thats what i thought.

I have 21 max, just for this reason. 29 is cutting it way too close.

England. They made it illegal to squat in residential buildings in 2012.

Interesting. That is Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 - Wikipedia, right? Specifically the bit that says:

creates a new offence of squatting in a residential building, with a maximum punishment of 51 weeksā€™ imprisonment, a fine not exceeding level 5 of the standard scale (Ā£5,000), or both; and amends the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 to allow the police to enter and search such a building if they suspect someone to be squatting in it[6]

1 Like

Aside from all the good advice here, I will add some bad. Make life absolutely miserable for her in any way you can short of physical harm.

It has been repeatedly stated that you canā€™t legally do that. I think Iā€™d take my chances. Iā€™d be so infuriated I donā€™t think I could be trusted to stop short of physical harm.

5 Likes

There are ways to make peopleā€™s life more difficult which arenā€™t legally actionable. For example, disabling/shutting off an internet connection probably falls in that category. I doubt that even in the 21st century if a net connection can be considered a requirement. Plus you could pretend it has nothing to do with you. It would be difficult to prove.

1 Like

@faheem I thought the same thing. I even thought, what if I can only afford internet because I have a paying renter. No rent income no luxuries like Direct TV and internet. But some here say you still have to provide it. Again, Iā€™d be testing the limits until they took me to court.

Iā€™d call the cops on her. Squatters rights donā€™t include free babysitting do they? At least ABB is helping out. We donā€™t hear that often.

1 Like

From Airbnb TOS
Overstaying without the Hostā€™s Consent
Guests agree that a confirmed booking is merely a license granted by the Host to the Guest to enter and use the Listing for the limited duration of the confirmed booking and in accordance with the Guestā€™s agreement with the Host. Guests further agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between the Host and Guest. If a Guest stays past the agreed upon checkout time without the Hostā€™s consent, they no longer have a license to stay in the Listing and the Host is entitled to make the Guest leave. In addition, Guests agree that the Host can charge the Guest, for each 24 hour period that the Guest stays over the agreed period without the Hostā€™s consent, an additional nightly fee of two times the average nightly Accommodation Fee originally paid by the Guest to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Service Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make the Guest leave (collectively, ā€œAdditional Sumsā€). Airbnb Payments will collect Additional Sums from Guests pursuant to the Payments Terms.

3 Likes

How about calling child protection services a 12 year old is a minor, sorry but this story gets curiouser and curiouser?

1 Like

Child protective services would be an excellent idea. Seriously, Iā€™d be selling the appliances saying I needed the money. Iā€™d eat beans and onions every day. Iā€™d do everything I could think of

2 Likes