Speculating on Airbnb's next move - policy extension beyond 14 April?

You guys, he’s from Toronto. It’s Canadian dollars… :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I always have an “extra income” account that $270,000/year (CAN!) passes through. Comes in handy when I want to treat myself to a brand new luxury car every couple years, or a couple weeks at a Four Seasons resort. Ya know, just the normal stuff most everyone does.

Yes indeed, the 270K I spouted off was the annual bookings number (since that’s what Airbnb makes fees on). I always ran things relatively conservatively and have a nest egg saved up, but two of my places are indeed rental arbitrage (with the landlords permission) and I may have to end our agreements thanks to Airbnb’s extension of their refund policy as far out as May 31 and the lack of consistency in policy on their part. I’ll still continue with the third place which we own (the ski condo) but Airbnb’s long term profitability from me has been severely impacted from this debacle, perhaps permanently. Their reputation with hosts was never that great, and now it’s even worse.

I hope you’re wrong on the number of people who die from this… we should remember that people die everyday. According to actuarial tables, the average 70 year old man has a 2% chance of dying in any given year anyway. My own father checked himself into hospital one day at age 73 and unexpectedly died of heart failure the next morning.

I actually read a weird stat that fewer children have died in 2020 than expected, because school is out. And a huge number of people with covid-19 are actually asymptomatic. What a strange time.

@cooperjto When people compare this to the annual influenza toll and such things, or the average age of death in normal times, have you ever before heard of nurses, doctors and hospitals in first world countries crying out desperately for medical supplies, respirators, personal protective gear so the caregivers don’t get sick, talking about having to decide which of their patients to let die because they need to use the respirator on someone who has a better chance of making it? That just hasn’t happened before in my lifetime in places with modern medical systems. Nurses are being told to re-use non-reusable masks, putting themselves at high risk and contravening all accepted medical standards. Many of the medical personnel are getting sick themselves, they can’t even go home to their families and are being housed elsewhere. This is all unprecedented.
And it may be your opinon that a bunch of 70 year olds dying is no big deal, but many of those people might have had another 20 years of life left if some idiot didn’t expose them to coronavirus. Another 20 years to enjoy their grandchildren and great grandchildren, enjoy their well-deserved retirement years, enjoy good times with their friends and and vice-versa.

1 Like

In Italy - Over 60 doctors DEAD. Over 7000 healthcare workers infected…the entire world is in or about to go into an economic recession rivaling 2008…

I’m sorry @cooperjto but i can’t fathom how people continue to keep their heads in the sand.

When the the US embarrassment of a President has to finally admit that there could be 100,000 to 240,000 deaths in the U.S. from the coronavirus pandemic even if current social distancing guidelines are maintained, it has to be VERY BAD. He has no choice but accept reality or being responsible for making it even more devastating.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone is wondering, I made that loaf of bread in my pflile pic. Just sayin

7 Likes

No yeast here. So I’ll offer my desert this evening …

2 Likes

Yeah, yeast is hard to find right now. I finally found some and ordered it… but it’s an enormous amount. Happy to send you some if you’d like :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you!!! but wo access gym it’s probably best I continue to avoid bread :innocent:

1 Like

I am walking 4 miles a day, working up for some big hikes

2 Likes

Perfect time to begin making your sourdough starter:

The you can make this, with no added yeast :wink:

JF

1 Like

I had a jar of yeast in the fridge, 10 years old at least so I bought more right before everything hit the fan… Being thrifty I decided to try the old stuff, works just fine now I am stockpiled for another 10 years

1 Like

Great idea, I love sourdough. Thank you for the links, they are so helpful! I am still very inexperienced with bread making but thought this a good time to learn more and practice.

I’m also going to try @RiverRock 's recipe - we got a great dutch oven ourselves for the holidays. I didn’t realize you could make bread in there.

I might have questions :wink:

To be honest, it doesn’t take much to get the experience :slightly_smiling_face: and it’s such an easy process.

If you start off with the four basic ingredients, flour, yeast, salt and water, from them you can make almost any bread simply by adding a little something, or changing something round.

What folks new to making bread sometimes struggle with is the ratio of liquid to flour, mainly because different types of flour often need more, or less liquid than specified in recipes. Just remember, it’s much easier to add a little liquid then it is to add flour if your dough is too wet. You get that bit right, the world is your sourdough, sesame crusted, cheese flavoured loaf :bread:

JF

2 Likes

I bake it at 450 not 475 for 25 minute then take the lid off cook til nicely browned 10-15 more. I am at 5300 ft above sea level not sure if that makes much difference. That bread is reaaly good

1 Like

It’s SO good! I used to make it, pre-pandemic, when we had people over for supper.
Scared to make it now because there are only two of us in the house and we both really, really like it.

2 Likes

That Home Workout photo is you, right?

I could go for some homemade sourdough bread right now, looks delicious. But back on topic, sort of…

According to the CDC, there were 2,813,503 deaths in the US in 2017:

• Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Many of the people who die from COVID-19 would have died from other causes - heart disease, respiratory diseases, diabetes, pneumonia. Obviously we need to do all we can within reason to slow the spread, but people will die regardless.