Speculating on Airbnb's next move - policy extension beyond 14 April?

I think the issue with me is that Airbnb gave us the illusion that we could set our own policies. In theory a strict cancellation policy meant a 50% nonrefundable deposit if someone cancelled more than two weeks before arrival, but in practice we know that there’s no guarantee they’ll actually give it to you if a guest cancels. When I do direct bookings I take an actual cash deposit of 50%.

You could never “trust” Airbnb to do more than they agreed to do. Read the Terms of Service section 9.5 that you agreed to as a condition of listing on the platform [emphasis added].

9.5 In certain circumstances, Airbnb may decide, in its sole discretion, that it is necessary to cancel a pending or confirmed booking and initiate corresponding refunds and payouts. This may be for reasons set forth in Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances Policy or (i) where Airbnb believes in good faith, while taking the legitimate interests of both parties into account, this is necessary to avoid significant harm to Airbnb, other Members, third parties or property, or (ii) for any of the reasons set out in these Terms.

3 Likes

I don’t think they are legitimately taking the interests of both parties into account, or avoiding harm to their own reputation. If they did they would have refunded guests out of their own pocket, perhaps left guests with 50% as a goodwill gesture. How are people supposed to make the rent? Their decision has simply put the burden on landlords and banks to deal with clients who can’t pay their bills all of a sudden.

I feel for your financial situation BUT the above statement sounds all too familiar. Trying to think where I might have heard something like that before. :thinking:

PS. Sunday 3/29 our narcissist in chief said “that 100,000 deaths would be a great win” :angry:

8 Likes

What is so odd to me is that you have been on this forum for years. I guess you never bothered to keep up with the reading because there have been complaints for years about the Airbnb policies, the injustice of the extenuating circumstances policy and the extreme guest friendliness of Airbnb. There isn’t one regular participant here who is surprised. No regulars here feel misled.

The complaints started rolling in about 2.5 weeks ago here, hopefully no one took any further Airbnb bookings after that without eyes wide open. The pain really is just starting and most of us are trying to focus on what’s to come and how to make it through emotionally as well as financially.

Looking backward and blaming Airbnb isn’t going to do you any good.

7 Likes

I always knew these things, as I’ve had a few EC cancellations over the years. I guess I’m surprised by the magnitude and thoughtlessness of it all. And the fact that Airbnb continues to guilt hosts into accepting further cancellations for post-April 14th reservations. And it took them how long to organize tonight’s webcast? It’s a little late to tell us how sorry they are, frankly.

I’m looking forward to growing my business without Airbnb in any way I can.

1 Like

I think they gave quite a bit of thought to it. I’m sure you’re aware that they are not charging much in the way of fees on top of the collapse of the business. And on top of that, unlike hosts who own their properties they don’t own anything they can leverage or sell…well, except a formerly successful idea.

Whether it will be viable going forward is yet to be seen.

Growing? Good luck with that. I hate to be Debbie Downer but I’m not optimistic about this business in either the short or long term. By the time travel recovers the next thing will be happening…probably. Thinking otherwise is a risk. Maybe you’ll be lucky.

You should look into getting a different income stream.

Agreed—except I think rentals will eventually recover but maybe not using Airbnb

There have always been rentals, sure, but I see less travel overall.

Flights had already been pegged as a negative on climate change. Less travel for business, most these meetings can be online. Less disposable income for awhile. Less cross border travel at least for awhile. Maybe this overall slowdown will also slowdown the climate crisis. We already needed the kind of radical change some scientists (best known by Thunberg’s promotion of it) have called for a long time. And suddenly here it is, forced on us quickly.

When this passes there may be pent up demand for travel and fun but the reality of the global recession/depression will take of that.

It seems to me that people think that when the infections slow and restrictions are lifted it’s going back to the way it was last year. I don’t see that. And if I do see it I’d be taking it as gift horse. I’d be selling in VR property that was dependent on trans ocean flight. I’d look to sell property. Some of this is of course due to my age. I’m past the age where I can recover from successive panics and crashes.

I hope I’m wrong. What I really want and hope for is a strong recovery in which I can spend and travel freely for about another 10 to 15 years. Then it can all go to hell in a hand basket for all I care. Don’t look at what the ultra-rich people say over the next decade, look at what they do.

2 Likes

Blockquote
I don’t think they are legitimately taking the interests of both parties into account, or avoiding harm to their own reputation. If they did they would have refunded guests out of their own pocket, perhaps left guests with 50% as a goodwill gesture. How are people supposed to make the rent? Their decision has simply put the burden on landlords and banks to deal with clients who can’t pay their bills all of a sudden.

You think that guests who can’t enter your country, guests who can’t leave their country or guests in your country that can’t travel due to government restrictions should pay you for a service you are unable to provide? Or do you have some specific details of a situation you are referring to?

3 Likes

To be frank, if you’re really turning over $270k in bookings, and put all your eggs in the Airbnb basket, then as a “businessperson” you’re extremely naive.

You haven’t answered my question. Or is that you don’t have an answer?

JF

2 Likes

EDIT: Obviously I missed the webcast tonight, looks like maybe Airbnb is stepping up. I left my comments above for posterity, have to read the details of their 25% refund.

I think if you book non-refundable accommodation and those accommodations are still available for your use, then you shouldn’t get a refund. It’s not my fault if your government decides you can’t come and visit my city, you take it up with them.

I have a day job that pays the bills, this is just extra income for me. Up to this point Airbnb was a good enough option that I didn’t pursue other channels, I knew it was always a risk that they would screw me over in some fashion and was willing to accept that. But that doesn’t mean I’m happy to stay with them going forward.

I think Airbnb should have clearly explained the difference between their various cancellation policies, and upheld them except in cases where the existing EC policy applied. Or offered hosts the ability to give refunds if the situation warranted it. Or carried their own insurance (or self insured) and compensated guests out of their own pocket. I had guests traveling within our own province cancel just because they didn’t feel like coming anymore, and Airbnb encouraged them to do so with special notices on their website.

What part of almost 800,000 cases and climbing towards 50,000 deaths worldwide, with a super high contagion rate and an average 2% death rate, don’t you get? And the number of cases isn’t going down, it’s doubling every day in some places.
People with your mind-set are just boggling to the rest of us. Your attitude is dangerous to the well-being of all.

7 Likes

My attitude is pragmatic and data-driven. As long as people practice proper social distancing and avoid touching their faces without washing hands thoroughly, the virus will not spread. There’s nothing inherently unsafe about driving from one place to another nearby and staying there for a few days as long as one minimizes the amount of human contact. Please note I’m talking about local regional travel only.

You sound like the people in my neighbourhood who shame others for walking down the sidewalk. You can’t get the virus simply by walking through air that an infected person also walked through! That’s not how it works. The whole idea of social distancing is to avoid coughing and sneezing on each other, or touching.

And in my books, non-refundable is non-refundable. Trip cancellation insurance exists for a reason.

I think your conclusions are incorrect. I’m not going to argue the point. You’re clearly able to read and determine for yourself. The information is out there although for various reasons a lot of it has been slow to get out.

In any case, unlike so many disagreements of the past, this one will show which line of thought was most “pragmatic” quickly. This is not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, this is how high will the bodies pile before everyone agrees we should have stayed home months ago.

Your annual revenue from your side gigs exceeds my entire net worth so I’m way out of my league here but I’m going to go on record as saying I believe there is going to be a global recession unlike any seen in your lifetime or mine. I hate to say it will be “worse than the Great Depression,” because the economy is so radically different now than then.

If this forum survives, I’ll be around. Please come back in few months to taunt me with what an idiot I was. No one will be more overjoyed to be wrong than I will be.

8 Likes

Actually, that is the most reliable to get the virus, from breathing in air that an infected person was in. It’s probably a slimmer chance outside on a sidewalk of course but, nonetheless, from the air is the highest risk of transmission - that’s what the whole mask thing is about.

3 Likes

Blockquote I have a day job that pays the bills, this is just extra income for me…
…take some of my $270K in annual bookings elsewhere

You have a day job, and $270,000 in annual bookings is ‘just extra income’.

1. If $270,000 is what you classify as ‘just extra income’ you must have one hell of a great paying ‘day job’
  2. If you have amazingly super high paying day job and $270,000 is just extra income, kind of a strange mentality to be worried about a couple of months of lost ‘just extra income’. Or basically some ‘pocket change’ according how you are classifying yourself.

Or perhaps some of what you say isn’t exactly what we around here would call “the truth”. Just sayin…

2 Likes

Keep in mind that if someone is highly leveraged 270K could be relatively little in terms of actual pocket change. If someone is engaging in rental arbitrage or if they recently bought and will soon be upside down on their loans they could be royally screwed now. And some people with day jobs now will lose them as the recession drags on.

2 Likes

@Notahost

While my primary concern is for those who truly have nothing and who live paycheck to paycheck, and now may no longer have that paycheck,

The impact of these crises (health and financial) is felt by all. Someone who has investments in properties most likely has mortgage payments, HOA dues, etc that are no longer be covered by the AirBNB income coming in.

Let’s ALL take a step back from taking our frustration out on other members (something at one time or another I have been guilty of). Debate is good but lets do it with some empathy that We are all in this together.

1 Like

I don’t even know how to respond.

@cooperjto I hope You are diligently washing your hands and isolating instead of spreading germs

My mother used to tell me when people bragged about money, it meant they really didn’t have it and if the braggers had fancy cars & houses they were in so much debt they were about to lose it.

Actually @cooperjto your posts have given us a bit of a diversion from the usual these past few days

2 Likes