Something new that never knew

AirBnB benefits here because they still kept your 3% and the 13% from the guest…

I did not tell them…it was guests who did. But even so…as you said its none of their business what we do after reservation is over .

1 Like

Lesson 1: You should have followed your initial inclination and asked the guests to leave.

Lesson 2: When milk smells bad, get rid of it, … don’t put it back in the refrigerator.

Lesson 3: The milk is now curdled, dump it down the drain! …you still haven’t been paid (which AirBNB is still working with the hosts to get the $) yet you extend them independently; that’s asking for trouble from both the guests and from AirBNB. There are sometimes where no matter the money, it’s just not worth the risk.

I’m sure if you continue to escalate, that you should be able to get payment for the agreed to 5 days; you have the documentation from AirBNB stating they would pay you. That should be enough but they will make you go through hoops to gain it.

I had done similar to gain payment for a cancelled guest. I had documentation and justification for it; it took several levels of approval (approximately 2 weeks).

“Chunky Style Milk! - that’s not right”

2 Likes

As cabinhost said i was not extending reservation made with Airbnb . It was a completely new booking and agreement was between me and guests …which I handled very well…as soon as they started making tricks they were out . May need you that at that time I was sure that Airbnb will.pay me and will handle issue with credit card. When I travel I have non stop issues with credit cards .so after talking to Air I thought may be it’s just one of those glitches and all will be clarified .

That’s unfortunate. I’m very careful to only do any cash exchange with guests who I know would never mention it to Airbnb.

1 Like

I realize that you did an independent booking, extending an existing guest’s stay outside of AirBNB, while there technically is nothing wrong with that*, I was suggesting that you were asking for additional grief because AirBNB may not look as favorably on you for that - that could provide some bias for AirBNB escalation managers. You have resilience and I think AirBNB assumes people will just rollover; I am confident you will prevail because you have the documentation that they agreed to pay you no matter.

*the former AirBNB guests that I have booked independently with are those that had a proven track record and that I felt were honest and trustworthy and wouldn’t throw me under the bus the way these guests did you. There were clear warning signs that your guests were not trustworthy and I still believe that you would have been better served to kick them out after 2 days, as you originally set out to do. We all have different life circumstances but my perspective is that the grief from them, and AirBNB is not worth it, even if you get the money for the entire stay.

In the 1 case I did that, it was because a guest wanted to shorten their stay and I was fine with that. It had nothing to do with my listing, but that the guest didn’t realize how hot and humid it was here in the summer, I almost never get any bookings at that time of year anyway, so it wasn’t income I was counting on, nor would I have been likely to get another booking for those dates even if the calendar had been open, she was a sweet guest and didn’t ask for a refund- I offered. And I may very well book her place in Toronto in the future, so a little good will :slight_smile:
Yes, Airbnb got their cut for the whole reservation, but I only refunded what I actually received for the unstayed nights and yes, she was out the service fees, but that was better than being out the money she would have gotten per my cancellation policy if we had done it through the site.
I think that even if Airbnb gets their cut, they would reprimand a host for dealing in cash with a guest.

1 Like

That the thing I dontt understand on why Air even has an opinion about what’s happening between host and guest after deal is over with them.Thats what I wanted to do…money is not a motivation for me to get myself in questionable situations. It was not about money, it was about case manager was asking me so nicely to not kick them out because they have nowhere to go so late at night and …for sure I will be paid and so in.
Anyway, lately many things are happening with Airbnb…its not getting any easier .

It’s because you are dealing with an ignorant rep. just reading a script from their training book. You already extended the original 2 day reservation to 5 days through ABB. Then…guests booked a new reservation for a different week.

The reps. don’t know what they are talking about. But be prepared for them to be incompetent and try to punish you. Just look at the amount of people on ABB forums in general…who are scared to book outside of the ABB platform for repeat guests.

2 Likes

That’s true. My rep was Asian who really had a hard time understanding . Between my and her accent that was quite a conversation . But then I asked 3 different time and they all confirmed how it’s not condoned to make arrangement not through Air.

@Yana Yana, I’m sorry our fellow hosts are being tough on you; I hope you get paid.

3 Likes

Or no block the calendar

RR

1 Like