Should I warn my guests about new neighbors?

The house across the street was recently rented to some guys, can’t tell how many of them. They are not shady but recently they have made the carport into an evening hangout spot, with table and chairs. Guys stop over after work so there are vans coming and going. They have a good time and shout to each other in Spanish. On the weekends they play loud Latin music all day. I speak Spanish and I know they are benign, just working guys relaxing (although I wish they would do this in the backyard, not in front of the house). But my guests already sometimes give me a low rating on location. Now I am questioning whether I even want to continue with Airbnb. Should I warn the guests who are already booked? How would I word it?

There is a “things your guests may need to know feature” where you can include these things. They have to click that they understand before they move forward. I overdisclose in this section - when expectations are low, people are pleased when it’s not that bad. Maybe use this section to say something like “sometimes neighbors are loud during day time hours.”

1 Like

Do you mean in “things to note”?

Maybe? I don’t recall the actual wording, but that’s probably it.

I think they are playing domino. Here is a draft: I have a neighbor who sometimes hosts domino games in the evening after work. You may hear Latin music on the weekends, but not late at night. The high impact windows and hurricane door on the Airbnb unit muffle the sound quite well.

Too defensive?

1 Like

I have found that you have to be “too defensive”. I think this is fine and I would definitely include it.

Maybe you should use your Spanish language skills and talk to the new neighbors instead? I would go over with a few beers in hand and introduce yourself, get to know them Then Explain to them that you rent a room and their being out front is making some of your guest uncomfortable.

Good luck

RR

4 Likes

I did a noise warning, which Air has a specific provision for, and will highlight for the guests as they book, because I have group rental houses of 20-something on both sides. They party on the weekends. Air gives you space to describe, and I list dogs, urban traffic, children playing, and young professionals barbecuing on the weekends. "Neighborhood homes are close, and work schedules vary. You may hear cars coming and going and families and friends visiting during the day, and most likely music on the weekends. " Consider a white noise machine, I have one, and I can’t believe how many guests mention how quiet it is. My neighborhood is not quiet! I would leave out the Latin reference, sounds like a dog whistle to warn, well, people who don’t like Hispanics. Of course not your intent.

1 Like

I guess I need to update on a computer. Hadn’t thought of the dog whistle. Is it wrong to warn people so that if they don’t like Latin music or hear people speaking Spanish they avoid South Florida?
The room has hurricane windows and a wall unit AC. You can’t hear much inside.

I’m not sure the fact that it’s Latin music is relevant really. I dont love hearing rap, pop, or religious, or rock music blaring through the neighborhood either. Not really relevant whether they are shouting in English or Spanish either. Lol. Just let it be known that there are benign, but loud gatherings at normal hours. Mentioning Dominoes is a nice touch because it immediately takes the fear out.

1 Like

LOL to it not mattering what type of music or which language they are shouting in! I agree, I just notice that the guests who have commented recently on the language are the ones who have given me 3 stars for location.

1 Like

That’s great. Surely there are other ways to do it besides putting the onus on the neighbors.
Edit: I’m not sure which part of my post you’re referring to.

OMG please DO note if it is ranchera, I rank that nearly as crazy-making as wind chimes.

Living here in El Paso TX, where the population is 80% Hispanic, warning guests they may hear “Latin music” would be like warning them it might be windy or the sun might shine. All the people who don’t like it should just drive straight through from Dallas to LA.

1 Like

LOL They should skip LA too if they don’t want to hear Latin music. :joy:

1 Like

Two years I would have gone with …“some noise, lively neighborhood”

Nowadays where Airbnb is striving for all listings to be over 4.7 and low ratings hurt you badly, … ethnic neigborhoods are not necessarily on everbodies bucket list so I think …use it to vet people. You will have less business, but hopefully the right kind of guests.

Kind of what I think, just haven’t gotten the

This is a tough one. For so long I had all sorts of bad neighbors. They were all renters. As renters, I knew they would be temporary. So I tried to hang in there… The last group were really really bad. Verbal domestic and child abuse, lots of noise work8ng on cars or rattling things around early in the morn8ng, snorting coughing and hacking, talking on cell phones at all hours, but the worst was their manner and tone and volume. Plenty of nasty fights between the guy and girl. I called the cops whenever they got out of hand. I even called the realtor who had the listing on the house to complain. But it didn’t really stop. After they moved out, the new owner told me the house was trashed. The woman never threw away dirty diapers and the house was piled high with them.

I thought about disclosing it but then decided not to. The bad neighbors are not my fault or responsibility. No one ever mentioned it or complained. However, some of my best guests had told me they were bothered by what they heard and called social services on them! Didn’t penalize me at all!

But back to your situation. It sounds really benign and could be worse. If I were you I would not say anything in the listing except maybe something like diverse neighborhood with friendly nearby neighbors who love to play dominos or something…

Then I would get to know the Spanish guys and maybe get invited over for dominos yourself!

Seriously… dominoes versus child abuse? Which would you rather have?

2 Likes

OH… Airbnb hates anything that smacks of discrimination. Don’t use the word Latin in any Description. They will warn you or shut you down.

Actually they sound like fun neighbors to me. I would love to play some dominoes with Latin music playing. Why don’t you wait until they arrive to mention the domino parties?

I think the problem is that previous guests, all of whom have mentioned Spanish being spoken, have been giving her AirBNB listing low ratings. His/Her goal, by changing the listing narrative, is to filter out any potential guests who would not feel comfortable with the dominos parties so that the space doesn’t keep getting “dinged.”