Should I update my white appliances

My husband and I just bought our first condo to list on Airbnb and we are renovating. It currently has white appliances and I know that it looks dated. They work just fine. Should we spring and buy stainless steel? Does it make that much of a difference when getting guests to book?

Any input would be greatly appreciated it.

When I re-did my 1938 cabin kitchen I put in brand new white appliances. It fits for the space. Stainless steel is harder to keep clean, I put that in my new construction and I am afraid I may regret it.

RR

2 Likes

The environmentalist in me says no. Since they’re working, keep them.

Replacing them is a big expense. I don’t know what you will charge for your condo, but it will likely take a very long time to recoup the cost of new appliances through rental income. I suggest working the numbers to see if it really seems worthwhile.

On the other hand, if your condo is high-end—a showplace—and if the kitchen is a big part of the selling point to guests, then maybe it’s worth considering. I would hope you could find new homes for the existing white appliances, rather than throwing them out.

If I were a potential guest, I don’t think I’d care at all what color the appliances were.

P.S. You have undoubtedly done this, but perhaps worth mentioning: Check all condo rules/HOA rules/city ordinances to ensure that Airbnb is permitted!

4 Likes

They have a home if we do get rid of them. My Mom’s friend is begging me for them. I did check the rules and it’s permitted.

It’s not high end but it’s not lower end either. I’d say more middle of the road. We are renovating the floor, cabinets, counter tops and back splash.

Thanks for your input

1 Like

It depends on the listing. Them seeming modern and clean inside is more important than exterior color. I could imagine many kitchens where white would be preferable to other finishes.

3 Likes

When you are looking to spend $ on your listing, ask yourself these questions:

1. Will it help me increase my occupancy rate?
  2. Will it help me increase my nightly rate?
  3. Will it help me get better reviews (which will lead to #1 and #2)?
  4. Is there something else that the money is better spent on to improve #1, #2, or #3?

Sometimes, they’re not easy to answer, but if you need help, you might post photos here and see what other hosts think.

FYI, there are stainless and “stainless look”) appliances that are resistant to scratches and fingerprints, etc.

4 Likes

SS is not harder to keep clean, other finishes simply hide the dirt, smears and aerated grease. I have SS and what I have found to be the absolute best for cleaning is plain water or vinegar water on a magic eraser and polish off with Quickie stainless steel microfiber cloth. Occasionally I use some dish soap to get the grease off. That cloth really is better than the other ones. I’ve used multiple cleaners and polishes and they all make it harder to keep the SS looking good. Also the new SS finishes seem to be easier to maintain than they used to be. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

1 Like

I suppose it’s more of my personal opinion that white looks dated. I am not sure if it will increase money for my listing. This will be my first listing.

I do know that I will replace my fridge no matter what because the current one doesn’t have an ice maker. I feel that will be important because my condo is right on the beach. It’s just a matter if that replacement will be SS or white.

1 Like

I don’t have an issue cleaning it, personally. We have had SS in all of our homes.

I’ve had my SS for 8 years and I’ve been reading that it’s going out of style for that entire time. So maybe white will make a comeback soon. I think SS looks classic. I’ve liked it before it was widely available for the proletariat like me and I’ll like it after it’s out.

As a guest I find that I think SS looks better in most kitchens. I’d get SS, and if you can’t afford to update all the appliances at once, it’s not the end of the world.

1 Like

That’s how I feel. We can afford to make the upgrade, I was just wondering if it does make that big of a difference. If it were me choosing an Airbnb I’d choose a kitchen with SS over white, but that is my personal preference. But I am kinda picky.

yes, i’m the same way. Why throw out a perfectly functional fridge? SS is so much harder to maintain.

well, if you prefer a SS fridge and you expect guests like you at least sell or donate the white fridge before buying another. Just don’t throw it. But then buy a new stove as well because a white stove with SS fridge doesn’t match.

Ice trays… just fill them at every turnover. Automatic ice is not going to get you more bookings. Your freezer will be empty anyways so you can put in a lot of them. Also I would make sure if you really think you need a ice maker can one be installed in the current freezer?

RR

1 Like

My Mom’s friend is begging me for the appliances. I would purchase all matching appliances if I were to buy new ones.

You REALLY want to buy them, so just do it.

RR

3 Likes

I personally hate ice trays. I read other reviews in my condo complex that people were complaining there wasn’t ice makers too. So I figured it was important.

2 Likes

Just a heads’ up that ice makers are the most common cause of service calls for refrigerators.

6 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the heads up.

I have white appliances with white cabinetry, So far not one guest has complained. I would leave them as they are until they break down and at that point I would replace them with stainless steel.

3 Likes