Should I respond to this review?

There are spiders in my rental and in my home, most are daddy long legs, I believe they are common in Australia, at least in my area. I am used to spiders, bugs, moths but I understand some guests may not be comfortable if these are not common in where they live. I still remember I was really horrified when I saw a huge spider when I first came to Australia many years ago :slight_smile:

I plan to use peppermint spray after seeing this post, hopefully it will work and reduce the appreance of spiders. Btw, I discovered a huge dead moth in my lounge yesterday while cleaning, and my guest didnā€™t mention it luckily.

Iā€™m with you - Iā€™ve never heard that word. Itā€™s quite a nice one! It will be a bit like a fancy dress - Iā€™ll save it in reserve until the appropriate occasion.

1 Like

Poppy mentioned that she feared potential Asian clients might be fearfulā€¦ it was just something to placate the guest and make others think sheā€™s taking it seriously. Of course, thereā€™s nothing to look into. And, it could be said in another way. Iā€™ve had more spiders where I live now than anywhere in my life, and itā€™s a long life. If I werenā€™t too lazy and if I had any control of the building, I would check it out.

Iā€™ve got a huge one living in the bath tub. He just sits there all day waiting for what I donā€™t know. Iā€™ve shooā€™d him away a few times but he always returns. I get lots of daddy long legs too. I never kill them because they catch other insects. We all coexist peacefully :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My first few guests freaked out re spiders, on private feedback, but marked me 3 for cleanliness. I changed my listing to advise people that a cottage in the woods will have bugs and spiders as I donā€™t use pesticides. I also put a little poster on the fridge that explained that over 90% of bugs are not harmful and are a necessary part of the ecosystem ie food for fish, birds etc. Since then Iā€™ve had no negative feedback re bugs.
I was stunned that I had to explain this to people.
I avoid the wifi issue by not providing it, my internet is satellite and as such spotty in bad weather. There are books, board games and DVDs for entertainment, never mind the great outdoors. If they want Internet they can go to free wifi in town or use their phones. I

2 Likes

I have a little homemade ā€˜posterā€™ (6x4) in a frame headed ā€˜In Our Gardenā€™ which details the native lizards, insects and birds on the doorstep. No complaints so far despite our native grasshopper being the stuff of nightmares for some! https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_robinson_nz/11400261816

1 Like

Faheem, I know. Thank you. Iā€™m currently in transit of a 30-hour trip back to the states with a son who got food poisoning on our last night here in Europe. We finally made it to one hour without needing an air sick bag. So Iā€™m not 100 percent!

1 Like

It is ā€œstunningā€ when you realize that most people donā€™t see themselves as a part of a greater system of living things and that by just building a house or whatever isnā€™t going to keep them out. In fact, as you mentioned, many of these bugs will be beneficial to your house. Weā€™ve got termites like crazy here, but certain insectsā€“the ones that havenā€™t been obliterated with Raid, etc.ā€“will keep termites at bay. Thatā€™s just one example.

I also put a warning about bugs in my listing after I got a couple of comments about antsā€“which are really numerous at certain times of the year. I donā€™t mind them at all, and they pretty much stay away from the kitchen if Iā€™m careful. They mostly want water and they will go after any crumbs that have fallen.

One jerk crabbed about ants in his bed AFTER Iā€™d told him (house rules also) to please not eat in bed.

2 Likes

This is a GREAT idea, Louise!

Once in awhile Iā€™ll see a spider but the amount of cobwebs that pop up in only a week indicates there must be many more - probably daddy longlegs which are next to invisible. Iā€™ve actually been looking into how to get rid of them, but I really donā€™t want to use pesticides either.

My mom allows spiders in one of her kitchen drawers because they catch the mealy moths. Somehow I donā€™t think my guests would appreciate this, though. :smirk:

@Freya this is interesting. Can you tell us more about this? If it works, then @Poppy would be correct in saying she was ā€œlooking into itā€ or taking steps to see it doesnā€™t happen again.

1 Like

Hi @konacoconutz,

Sounds rough. I hope your son is ok. Food poisoning is nasty. And what youā€™re supposed to get in places like India. Not Europe.

I hope you had a good trip, regardless.

@konacoconutz
@faheem

Most probably a viral gastro-enteritis, and not food poisoning. I had it too last week, and loads of people are having it. Itā€™s the time of the year. Hope he getā€™s well soon!

1 Like

GUtā€¦ How do you know the difference? It came on violently in the middle of the night about five to six hours after a suspect meal. Lasted until about 10:35. He couldnā€™t keep anything down. Is doing better now. But we still arenā€™t home yet. We have a six ish hour flight to Kona to get home.

Yuk! So sorry to read of this unfortunate ending to your vacation.

Ew, so sorry, @konacoconutz, but glad it was on this end of the trip, not on the way.

I had it at Christmas, if ā€˜itā€™ is what it was. Very violent for about 12 hours. Others in the family got a touch of it so we know it was viral.

So sorry for his suffering - sounds miserable.

I did find that taking turmeric after helped my stomach feel better.

1 Like

Hey, Iā€™m not a doctor, but based on the time of year and the fact that real food poisoning is much less common.
I just looked it up on the internet, and itā€™s really difficult to distinguish between both. Both give nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, possible fever, etc. ā€¦

• One question to ask is where (?) your son ate what (?).
  • If more people became ill at the same time after eating the same thing. Probably food poisoning.

The most important thing is to keep your son hydrated, and when there is no improvement go to a doctor, although a gastro-enteritis could linger for 3-5 days. If he is vomiting out water give him small sips at a time and possible some dehydration salts.

1 Like

Pardon me for saying, but itā€™s pretty common to get food poisoning around the holidays. Food gets left out, or not handled properly. Your case sounds like typical food poisoning to me.

1 Like

Certainty you are pardoned. :wink: There was no common food involved, and the timing was spread out. It is so common this time of year. The Washington Post even printed an article on it - many people were sick at Christmas. I was sad to miss so much time with family I seldom see.

Either way, itā€™s a nasty business, and best wishes for a speedy recovery go out to @konacoconutzā€™s son. Itā€™s rough when you are in the comfort of your own home, I canā€™t imagine it happening while traveling 1/2 way around the world.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it was the food. He chose to have fast food while I went to the opera on my last night and skipped dinner.

It came on violently from both ends. Literally 40 minutes before our cab arrived. He then threw up at least 9 times. They almost pulled us off the Frankfurt flight. The crew said they didnā€™t want to take a chance going over the ocean, as there was no turning back. A seat mate from the Ukraine happened to have an anti nausea pill and that really helped. The flight attendant refused to bring him Sprite or water. Said he could only have black tea. They have seen this a lot. They were right. It settled down but he felt like crap but at least was able to keep liquid down the rest of the way home.

I had this happen on a flight from Auckland to Honolulu. I ate oysters in Auckland and got on the plane and was violently ill for the entire flight. Then it was over, that was food poisoning, this with my son was definitely the same.

Got home to a mess the guests left and their complaints! After traveling nonstop p for 30-plus hours, I was down there at 1am hanging their damn wet towels, the only thing I asked them to do. Hang their towels!!! Because I would not be home for a couple of days after their checkout. Not happy!!!

I need another way to make a living, I am getting fed UP with Airbnb and the ease with which guests can complain and get refunded!! I hVe to refund them at least one night due to some issues wi millipedes.

In my hotel in Prague I had spotty wifi, the door squeaked and one day housekeeping forgot towels. Did you see me downstairs complaining for a refund?

SO OVER IT! Excuse my grumbling!!! Iā€™m in a REALLY bad mood! But at least we are home. Now I have to go clean up their mess and the bad way they left the apartment.

1 Like

Kona, I hope your son feels much better very soon. At the risk of sounding bossy, may I suggest a visit to the doctor for him. Iā€™ve had friends who had food poisoning as bad as youā€™re describing and they needed medical help to fully recover. I agree that your diagnosis of food poisoning is correct as you arenā€™t sick.

1 Like

Thank you, Ellen. We definitely need to get to the doctor before our Obamacare is repealed and cancelled.

He is actually doing fine now. He feels great and we are so happy to see our dog baby!!!

1 Like