Short term vs long term stays

Anything under 180 days per year in Hawaii is subject to TAT. We collect the same as hotels… 13.42%. (TAT of 9.25% plus general excise of 4.167%. )

Hi @EllenN,

Thanks for the clarification. And I’m sure you could find a humor emoji if you try. Type a colon and a box will pop up See for example :grin:

We’d love to get more of these; we have one at the moment. He comes to Toronto for meetings and is happy as a clam here. A subway/transit hub is a minute away from here, and our guest suite is like a small one bedroom apartment. We’re a minute from the express train to the airport and also some commuter trains. Only downside is shared bathroom. Between meetings he can work away at the big table in the sitting room, have a coffee, listen to the radio. We have a high quality colour duplex laser printer, a scanner, and fax out - and free Wifi of course.

Good tip about Linked In - been trying to figure out how to get more of these guys as regulars so we’re not as dependent on the whims of AirBnB’s tourists.

OT: missing Billy Bob’s input.

@Billy_Bob_Merkowitz? Maybe he will chime in if you tag him.

Woah, I agree with Vera. Bring in the media. I know about California laws, so I won’t host anyone for more than 21 nights, no matter what the circumstances (gives me a few days to get them out if they linger before the 30 days kicks in). If someone tries holding over in my house, I’ll have their things out on the front walkway by noon on checkout day, locks changed, other guests on notice, police on speed dial. I’ve already done that once. I don’t mess around with holdovers.

2 Likes

I had little postcards printed with my business name and photos of my place on the front, descriptions and my contact info on the back, and distributed these at nearby hospitals, campus, and businesses. When they contact me, I either send them the Airbnb link or book them separately (depends on the circumstances, whether I want the Airbnb infrastructure for a booking).

What a co-inky-dink! I have been slowly reading through the historical threads of the forum and also wondered what happened to Billy-Bob. He was a prolific writer and contributor and I found a lot of what he had to say interesting and valuable. At times, he had a fun personality (er…maybe I’m confusing him with another though).

There are a lot of topics I won’t get around to reading…I do have a life after all…but he was one of the characters who stood out.

It’s funny how one sorta gets to know the personalities of The People on the Forum.

Why would you still book them through AIrbnb if you get these guests through your own advertising?
What kind of businesses you take your card to? We did it with our store, just brought cards to small businesses around us, but with rentals i am not sure

Perhaps to get the protections that Airbnb provides? Though I agree those are questionable. Or at least, one receives very mixed reports.

The only time I’ve contacted Airbnb so far, I got the runaround. It wasn’t unexpected, but it doesn’t make me feel more warmly towards them.

1 Like

I personally for these 16 months had a very good experience with AIrbnb. Service is actually excellent. Recently i filed a claim for damages and got only 80$ out of my 350$ deposit. The case manager was from Korea, and it was absurd how he handled the whole case, making numerous mistakes.
I will rest a bit and will call AIr to complain on him, it was just exausting to work with him.
But if i had a chance just to do it on my own i would definitely do it without Air. Especially with just rooms.

Hi @Yana_Agapova,

So why don’t you? Or are you planning to?

I did, and many times. “IF” was a figure of speech, Did not everyone at one point? DIdnt you?

Oh, I was misled by the “if I had a chance”. That implies a conditional future event. No, I haven’t yet rented my room outside of Airbnb. I’ve convinced myself it’s safer to rent via Airbnb. Perhaps I’m delusional - time will tell.

1 Like

“Perhaps I’m delusional” (cute!) Yes, it’s the heat.

1 Like

He created multiple accounts on this forum, and was writing under different names. That was a trust issue

2 Likes

(I don’t understand…do you mean Faheem?)

Oops…nevermind, I got it. You mean that’s what happened to the Billy Bob guy. (Sorry faheem!)

I hate it when I’m dense.

It’s the heat.

1 Like

He would sometimes even write snarky or hostile replies with the multiple personalities and then back himself up writing from different accounts.

Oh boy…I can sure pick 'em.

1 Like

I’m interested in knowing how that advertising is working out for you. We have talked about putting flyers under the windshield wipers at local hotels. I’m sure that would not be taken kindly by the hotel but wondered where else it would be successful.