Short term vs long term stays

What can the HOA do if you continue doing ST?

HOAs have such absolute power. Short stays are so much better than longer stays because the guests donā€™t get tenantsā€™ rights.

Iā€™m really sure that the Airbnb name is tainted. My neighbour rents via Homeaway but thatā€™s seemingly OK!

1 Like

I donā€™t know how it works in the USA, but I am owner of my apartment (everything paid , no mortgage) and if the HOA tells me I canā€™t do ST sincerely I will not comply. I have no idea what they can do against me, but they canā€™t take my house from me and I donā€™t see any fine application here.

2 Likes

Thats why i would never buy anything that has HOA. I heard stories from my friends, and it seems like they have a lot of power, and can sue and fine you.

3 Likes

Itā€™s going in this direction thatā€™s why we sold our ca home in an HOA

1 Like

My neighborhood HOA rules cannot be changed except by the vote of something like 2/3 of the members. They only have in the rules that noisy dogs are not allowed, but have said nothing about other terrible noise nuisances such as parrots that are waaaaaaaay worse than dogs. And while the board was sympathetic to my parrot plight they really couldnā€™t enforce the by laws on noise because it wasnā€™t technically a dog.

1 Like

Can sue, fine, place liens and even foreclose!

1 Like

I have had at least 20 roommates which all stayed more than 60 days and three or four of them were not like this. I got my roommates from Craigslist though!!! I do not believe the same class of people would come from an executive contract situation and I am totally all ears when youā€™ll are talking about thatā€¦ I want in!!

I just think itā€™s normal that many people find it acceptable to live by someone elseā€™s rules, standards, etc., for a week, while traveling. But itā€™s natural that no one wants to do so long term. We all want our autonomy and to live by our own rules and standards. Weā€™ve all gradually worked out our domestic priorities when it comes to housework vs other activities, quiet vs lively environs, aesthetics vs practicality, etc. We all struggle to adapt to the domestic expectations of a spouse, partner, or family member. How much harder it is to adapt to those of a relative stranger! So I donā€™t think it has to do with the class of people or any other category. I think itā€™s just human. Sure, some people are raised in cultures where submitting oneā€™s own needs to those of the family or community is more usual, so they may be more adaptable by enculturation. But America and much of the Western, developed world is nothing like that. Weā€™re raised to be independent, autonomous, and individualistic. Folks who move to individualistic cultures often adopt this style, too. And, of course, each individualā€™s personality will define how they react to a situation where their own preferences canā€™t prevail. But, generally, I believe itā€™s human nature to start resenting limits on oneā€™s day-to-day needs and preferences, especially in the space we consider ā€œhome.ā€ So if you want to share your space with others, long term, you just have to be prepared to be more flexible about the rules and limits (IMHO) or deal with the very human/natural frustration and resentment that emerges.

1 Like

Amy, rules are rules. An though i understand that its hard to go by them long term, but we as guests at least have to make an effort. As hosts we of course need to be a bit more flexible but also we need to reinforce rules if they are getting broken on a daily basis. It took me months before i optimized my rules to the point that i can now comfortably host in my own house. There is a very serious reason for each of them.
Before i started doing Air i had several friends over who stayed for free and long term, like a month.
With one friend it was no problem at all, she had a toddler at a time and i felt like i could host her for years. She was very clean, quiet, her baby was amazing and we had a great time living together.
Another friend stayed with me for 2 weeks and she was a nightmare. SHe was actually the worst guests i ever had including AIrbnb guests. She slept through the mornings letting her child running around the house, never cleaned after herself, dishes piled up on a kitchen.
Laundry every day despite me telling her to not do it with just few pieces of underwear. Bathroom that she shared with us was a total mess. My husband got very frustrated and could hardly hold himself of kicking her out. He even told me he will pay for her hotel just to get her out of the house.
It only works when both parties are flexible and understanding of each other possible frustration and resentment. Yes, we as hosts are paid, but our guests are provided with living acommodations. We both benefit from this transaction in equal way and we need to be mutually understanding about shared housing.

If we as guests value our autonomy that much then we need to budget for a separate from owner unit where we can prettty much do what we want if we dont destroy anything.
Some guests wants the cheapest possible acommodation but in the same time are trying to break every rule possible.

2 Likes

Yea, I agree completely that both parties need to make an effort. Iā€™m not saying I like these facts about human nature; just that they are, indeed, facts about human nature. Not easy hosting people long term. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t do it.

1 Like

I will be VERY careful (in the US) of accepting guests for longer than a month. Iā€™ve been doing this for 6 years and have now encountered the problem of a squatter with her 12 year old daughter. AirBnB leaves me with the responsibility of getting her out the legal way which will take time. In the meantime, she is obnoxious, non-compliant of house rules and obviously is taking advantage of a grey area in AirBnB terms of agreement. They have cancelled her reservation for non-payment, I am not being paid and have to fight to get her out of my home. A very uncomfortable and awkward situation. Be wary!

1 Like

If you do take them longer than a month, have them sign a standard lease agreement. But even with that, I wouldnā€™t be comfortable.

1 Like

Bring in the media. Airbnb will start to help

Iā€™ve been renting long term since 2012, mostly two to four months, two of them a year each. Iā€™ve never had anyone take over the place, make changes, try to be bossy. They have all been polite, busy, self-sufficient. It helps that I have a small refrigerator and microwave in each room, so they can sort of treat it like an efficiency apartment.

Mind you, these were people from Europe and Asia. I suspect Americans might be more demanding. Also, they were here for a specific purpose, not just living, not spreading out into my space, just staying somewhere while they did whatever they came here for.

1 Like

The only thing with long terms is that i dont think i would be able to make as much money during 4 months of busy season as i did with short terms this winter.
My friend who always did long terms warned me against guests who came here to look for appartment. They just hang out around a house all day long, having endless conversations with her and her husband. They only leave to look for appartments and then come back.

1 Like

I have been told by a CPA in Houston who specializes in this kind of thingā€¦ if they stay longer than 30 daysā€¦ you pay no hotel taxes, which amounts to 17% here. Thatā€™s HUGE! I have not confirmed if that means you simply donā€™t report it.

In Los Angeles, California we donā€™t pay Transient Occupancy Taxes on stays of over 30 days. We have to fill out the report every month. There is a space where you fill in the amount you received for stays of over 30 days. They donā€™t charge the Transient Occupancy Tax on that amount. There is also a space for stays that you previously paid on that changed to being over 30 days so that you can recoup the payment.

So, this is a tax which is levied on short term stays, but not longer term stays? Just curious - what is the logic in that?

Although most people donā€™t use the words tax and logic in the same sentence (humor emoji); here goes.

Long term renters live in the community and pay the various taxes levied by the community (income tax, property tax, etc.). Short term renters are using the infrastructure of the community, but they are not paying the above mentioned taxes. The Transient Occupancy Tax is a way to have short term visitors to a community chip in for infrastructure.

1 Like