Short term vs long term stays

Thats a good question, i don’t know. I charged them occupancy taxes, the ones who rented not through Air.

@tomdxb
I agree, I have found this to be very true. I love one to three day stays. The cleaning and set up is minimal and we see very little of them as they are out and about. My friend around the corner who allows longer term rentals has encountered all of what you describe. I prefer w/e vacationers or people coming for a nearby family event. They are always great guests.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. One question in my original post that I want to follow up on is whether the hosts here made useful social/professional contacts/friends from the guests they met via Airbnb. One would like to believe this happens, but I wonder how often it actually does. This is not directly relevant to this thread, but it doesn’t seem worth creating a separate thread about, since it is only tangentially related to hosting.

1 Like

The occupancy tax or as it’s called in Southern California, the transient tax only has to be paid on stays of less than 30 days.

In Hawaii, anyone staying under 180 days is considered short term. Or transient, in their words.

Right… Tiles would make sense and are used in Hawaii of course. But I don’t have thousands of dollars to install flooring. I was shocked at this lady’s nerve in making demands of me while I was showing her around! What kind of tenant would she be once ensconced in my place? The nightmare kind no doubt.

I would love this kind of tenant if there were a lab or uni nearby. We do have a hospital but I think the traveling nurses would need to be within walking distance since our public transport is so bad.

1 Like

Totally concur! After about 2 weeks, it seems most people can no longer tolerate rules in their living space, and they revert to doing whatever the hell they want or, at best, gradually start letting things go. Dishes in sink, stinky gym clothes in bathroom, surprise visitors at odd hours, resentments, etc. And, yes, the risks involved with 30-days or more (be careful, it’s less in some locales), such as having to take them to court or pay them to leave part is unacceptable. My upper limit is 3 weeks.

4 Likes

Oh-Oh, i have to watch out

1 Like

Hi @AmyB,

What do you estimate the percentage (or proportion) of “most people” to be in your case?

I believe it is two weeks in Florida and then they convert themselves to long term tenancy!

According to my housecleaner, she prefers stays of less than 10 days, so I’m turning over a new leaf and going with that. I also prefer the 5-7 ni. rentals because the guests are more effusive in their reviews.

The thing is, I have about 5-6 repeat guests who stay 10+ni., so I’ve got to come up with a nice way to inform them of my new policy the next time they contact me to book. (Darn, I just noticed that there are two bookings in 2017 for 13 and 16 nights ~ aackk!)

Thanks. But this guys have no intention to live in Florida. They are for just work.

2 Likes

I think you’ve hit on a great alternative to the usual Air tourist guest. The business or worker guest! There on business, paid for by the company… win win for everyone!

1 Like

I think so too. Researching ways on how to let them know about me.

2 Likes

Linked In? …

1 Like

good idea, thanks. I will try it

I have a problem at the moment. Previously our HOA has tolerated STRs. But there’s going to be a board meeting shortly to ban them. (I am a board member).

So I might have to change to LTRs. I hate this!

My guests have been wonderful - no problems. I suspect that the notoriety of Airbnb (and the media ‘horror stories’) have provoked this. Any advice?

1 Like

Bummer. I’m so glad I don’t live in an apartment, condo, or anywhere with an HOA.

2 Likes

There are of stories lately about regulations, i wonder why

1 Like