Short term rentals in long term rental communities?

I have a condo that I’d love to list here in Florida but the condo association claims there is a 6-month minimum lease. We have no leasing office, so I’m assuming if I started to do short-term Airbnb rentals the only way they would find out is if a neighbor somehow found out and reported me? And at that point it would be a small fine that I’d have to pay to the association.

Does anyone have experience hosting in communities with 6 or 12 month minimum leases?

Thanks!

Double check with a lawyer if that is legal accordingly to your state law. I know that our HOA (in CA) likes to exaggerate their authority, and have had to change some of the ‘by laws’ because they were not legal under CA law for HOAs. One of which was stays under 30 days. They tried to tell us that we couldn’t do it, but in fact they ‘preferred’ we didn’t do, but had no actual grounds to stand on legally.

2 Likes

We hosted in SoCal for three years. Our HOA made us stop after we were reported. We had a 30 day minimum stay requirement although it as legal in our city. Check your cc&rs which you probably signed when you bought your place.

Just bc its in the CCRs doesnt make it legal. Many HOAs have outdated rules that are no longer legal under state laws.

It’s no fun to fight with an HOA. They can fine and take you to court. I would check with an attorney who is familiar with your local laws and HOAS. Airbnb has this in their tos and tells you to check before hosting.

1 Like

True. My HOA can and does fight gleefully with homeowners. They put liens on houses and other fun stuff. If your HOA has a restriction like this you can bet your neighbors will report you. I just wouldn’t do it.

1 Like

@konacoconutz
From personal experience and as a former board member, I agree with you. That’s why I sold my lovely SoCal coastal home in a gated community and moved back to NYC and my own private home.

I was a board member here too and quite honestly was shocked at the aggressive tactics the board used against their own members. So I quit. To make matters worse, they are well known within our community as being very draconian and vindictive. Fortunately there are no CCRs here against short term renting. And I rent a room in my home so even if there were I don’t think it falls within the same jurisdiction.

1 Like

I guess no HoA would want short term rental , but sometimes we need that little extra money from airbnb . I actually know some HoA in my town allows short turm 12 days and up. Anyway you need to be smart about your airbnb : do not advertise community amenities on your listing like pool, gym and so on ( I totally understand why HoA wouldn’t want short term renters to use it ). Don’t put exact address and building pictures on website . Don’t use your passport photo as your avatar and maybe even use nickname on your listing. Ask your guest don’t say airbnb out loud and don’t mention it to neighbors. Even if they see people rolling suitcases back and forth from your unit they can not do anything until they have proof your unit is being advertised on arbnb or one of your guest will say : " o I rented it and here for airbnb". Also if you are renting out condo in apartment building you must remember your neighbors are very important : pick nice , quiet , respectful people to stay at your place, who will not bother anybody around and everything will be fine.

@koh-I-noor
This is really bad advice. HOAs are very wise to Airbnb and many are re writing rules to cover not allowing it specifically and upping fines. You are advising to be sneaky and will make potential guests very uncomfortable. I have been there and know whereof I speak. Suggest that colonel talk to Airbnb and his HOA.

1 Like

One of the reasons I stayed in a hotel when I was in NYC last summer. Many listings said “don’t tell anyone you are airbnb guest.” By the time I finally found someone to send an inquiry to and it took them 7 hours to get back to me I said forget it.

1 Like

@KKC
Stay with us next time! Were legal. :relieved::innocent:

2 Likes

Agree… Don’t put the onus of your illegal renting on the guest. It’s not the guest responsibility to keep your secret.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind. I certainly will be looking for posters here next time I need an airbnb.

1 Like

The neighbors always report. There is one in every community, subdivision, condo. The repercussions can be bad for you and your future guests. Get clarification before you try to rent.

2 Likes

I just want to add my voice to the ‘don’t do it’ brigade. Condo associations have a lot of power.

3 Likes

One more “don’t do it” vote. The association WILL find out… some neighbor WILL complain. You could be in deep legal trouble – violation of you condo association rules is serious business here in Florida.

1 Like

Oh how true! Sell the condo, buy a house with no HOA and do what you want! That’s what we did!

1 Like

Some neighborhoods of detached homes have them too. My subdivision of single family homes has an HOA to make sure CCRs are enforced, etc. but as I said, only one individual on the board goes out of his way to hunt owners down and harass them over minor violations, things that our own county planning office doesn’t even enforce.

I was shocked at his methods of stalking owners when I joined, so quit. HOAs have a ton of legal power. They even have the right to foreclose for unpaid dues. I wouldn’t chance it.

I said without an HOA. Nothing to do with detached homes. I would never buy in one again. I was on the board 3 times to try to make it a more congenial community but finally quit in disgust along with two other board members. It only takes one control freak to make the community crazy!

2 Likes