Short term rentals in long term rental communities?

Thanks for the input everyone. It’s interesting to look on Airbnb in my city and see all the condos listed that are clearly violating the lease term restrictions. It seems like a lot of people do it and get away with it here.

I love the idea of a condo or townhouse exactly because of the HOA (I’d rather pay a monthly fee than have to deal with exterior maintenance on a rental property). Unfortunately it sounds like it’s also going to keep me from doing short-term rentals, unless I take the risk. Decisions, decisions.

There may be some that allow short term rentals.

I’m constantly looking for new properties to purchase so I’m very familiar with most of the communities here (and the lease restrictions in them). I live in a small beach town in FL and I’ve yet to find any that allow less than one week.

I guess these people are good at hiding it!

@colonelbrown I would def check with your lawyer about South Florida laws before you give up on the idea. Like I said above, we have personally fought an issue with our HOA and CCRs, that was illegal under CA law, and won, Yes, the HOA hates us, and the board members fine me for looking the wrong way, but we did win the war. LOL

1 Like

What was the nature of the issue?

Please see my original post.

Watch out! Neighbors didn’t report me. A real estate agent spotted the listing and approached our association asking if the STR had been changed. Big deal in resort areas.

Yup! A lady at mine checks boxes in the dumpster to see who didn’t break them down (even small ones). She found my shipping label and took the time to call me, send an e-mail, confront me in person, and put another printed copy of the complete bylaws on my doorstep. Am I an anarchist who frequently breaks the rules? No. This is a one time thing for me. But all my neighbors have horror stories several times a year. I feel very sorry for this person and pray for her - how awful to live in fear of anarchy!

1 Like