Share your Renovations

I hate this topic.

Only because there were so many jobs I thought I could get done, then couldn’t because all the hardware stores and builders merchants closed.

Now, (((drum roll))) the online sellers are now allegedly back in business!

Yay!

Don’t expect many pics, but at least think of me mixing mortar and replacing skirting :blush:

JF

4 Likes

I believe you will feel much better with something productive to do.

2 Likes

Replacing deck boards, I encountered a rotted stringer. This is beyond plastic wood/my capabilities. Handyperson search under way. I’m just as happy to give someone local some cash income.

4 Likes

Im excited to see what you do! Send pics when you can! :slight_smile:

I’ve been living at Lowes throughout the last 3 weeks. They’ve been open no matter what!

1 Like

Ouch, yeah… that needs some love for sure. I’m the same about local business.

Alright, update pic time:

New Paint, trim and flooring.

Tile and shower almost done!

1 Like

Oh, I was hoping you were going to use the same tiles on the floor as the shower niches! Looks fabulous. And the red handle on the grout float looks great with the back and white- I suggest you use red accents in that bathroom.

2 Likes

Hi! Place looks “smashing”! Your vacation spot is much nicer than my everyday home…LOL! Just wondering what color you used on the walls? Some kind of green?
As they say down South, “looks real perty”

1 Like

Hiya! So what’s the reasoning behind the rock wall? Is this a “just cuz” idea?
So I also considered an overhaul of my bathroom to make it wheelchair accessible. When the quote said $18k I reconsidered…Then I thought about the $10k forgivable loan from this Gov’t C.A.R.E.S. program to fund my project because of the horrible misuse of the bailout money- I mean hotels getting the SBA money. THAT is wrong, in my opinion.
So maybe I will go after some of this “forgivable” money. Just keep it a secret, ok??? LOL!
BTW- TO ALL MODERATORS: THANK YOU for helping us out. I have been reading posts, as I do, to learn, and some of these posts are a snooze festival- BO-RING ; some of these posts are just a “pete and repeat” where you folks show the patience of Job trying to get a point across to someone who just doesn’t get it; some of these posts go on for days and days and days and days and days and days and…!!!
So my hats off and many thanks to all of the Moderators for this forum. I know there are many times when you just want to say, “OH, PISS OFF, YOU DUMB DIPSHIT!”. I salute your patience. Cheers!

4 Likes

Thank you so much : ) The color is a light Jade from Behr, purchased at Home Depot.

1 Like

All of the homes here have these walls. I wanted to raise mine to a level even with the rest of the wall and fence in the back. The typical wall is about 3.5 ft tall; any higher and you have to add on. However, the wall on that side was not in good condition and the neighbor said we needed to tear out the old wall and start from near ground level.

As for the why of having a 5"6" wall is for privacy, security and both he and I have dogs. The cedar fence I had put on top looked pretty good but there were gaps and boards cracking and so on.

This is the room next to the Airbnb room. It’s the computer room and junk storage.
I installed this tile just about 8 or so years ago but it no longer matched anything in the house.

This matches the Airbnb room floor. I could put a door between the two rooms and make a two room suite; either as an Airbnb or as a roommate situation. Even if I do neither I’m happy with this floor. Now the entire home will only have two kinds of tile, this one and another 16x24 in a light neutral color.

6 Likes

That looks loads better. Great job.

Here is Tiny Tiki retro Hideaway Circa 2015
and now… we are happy to be setting it up again for a photo shoot!! Actually there are many improvements not in the 2nd piccie!:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here’s a few of the finished project…

5 Likes

Our renovation has been at our current home, since our dream home has been shuttered up for a quiet rest.

This is our ground-breaking, in our 100 year old creepy basement:

This is our mid-project:

Creeping up on it:

Couple days more and we’ll have a second bathroom:

Yippee!!

5 Likes

Damn! That’s looking good!

1 Like

Thank you! Your renovations are too!

1 Like

Exploratory surgery underway to seal off the one shared duct between my separate STR suite and my home office. I know virus circulation via the ductwork is quite unlikely, but this register is right next to my head when I’m working/computering. It was how I detected my secret Airbnb smoker, so there is some recirculation through the returns for sure. Maybe something to do with the heat pump operation, but way over my head in terms of HVAC expertise!
The only reason there is a shared duct is because the county inspector wanted a lower-tonnage (and virtually unavailable) HVAC system due to the small square footage of the suite addition. My clever architect upped the square footage covered by adding the wall duct opening to the main house.
I’m thinking a bit of plastic or metal as a cover on the interior duct opening, sealed with foil tape. Then my universal repair medium, silicone caulk, under the register edges, with another thingamabob taped over the register vanes. Any other suggestions?