Share your Renovations

Yes, when I swapped out the outlets I installed a GFI outlet. I did that a few places that didn’t originally have them, like the bathroom. Yesterday I also switched out all of the knobs and handles. Its amazing how a small change like that can make a HUGE difference in appearance!

Uhm, no. Not true. It only needs to be a GFCI if you can possibly use it and get wet at same time, behind a appliance and even under the sink is not accessible while using the sink. Also behind the washing machine. I just built a cabin and thought the same thing, the electrician told me no it was not a requirement and the building inspector concurred.

1 Like

Good to know. I did a GFI on a different outlet that’s on the same circuit because it was near the sink, but good to know it’s not a requirement. In all fairness, I think we will all find that requirements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

1 Like

National electrical code can be superseded by local code but it usually is not.

In Ca we have to use Arc Fault protection for bedroom circuits and as soon as I got my final inspection I removed them. They are a PITA and are always tripping for no reason.

1 Like

I decided today I’m going to do my renovation on my own master bathroom. I’ll do some of the demolition, and maybe some of the post reno but most of it will be done by a pro. I’m also seriously considering one last tile job, to put the same floor tile in the room next to the Airbnb room so if I expand the tile will match in the two rooms. I’ll take the money out of my retirement account. I think the opportunity in terms of not having dogs or humans here make it a compelling time to do the work even though financially and economy wise, it might not seem to make sense.

2 Likes

I feel you. We’ve dumped about 4k into our reno so far. It’s a perfect time as any to do it in my opinion. I’m excited, let me know how it goes and post pics!

Here’s the before:

And the now:

2 Likes

You are as much of a perfectionist as I am. All of your “before” pictures look better than most folks “after” pictures. Here’s a before pic of the side of the bathroom I’m tearing out first. The Jacuzzi tub and surround.

The fun begins! I’m gonna need more dust masks.

3 Likes

Indeed, my wife and I are both like that. I’m excited to see what you do with it. Its nice having a Jacuzzi tub and shower! Any idea what the plans are yet?

There won’t be any more jacuzzi. I have a tub in another bathroom and might replace it someday with a jetted tub. This one seemed like a good idea at the time but I just don’t use it enough to justify all the floor space it takes.

The new plan is basically an aging in place model. The shower will be shorter but wider, the wall being moved over about 8 inches and no threshold. Next to it will be the toilet with a smaller window moved over and above it where the tub is now. No door or anything in front of the toilet, ie, no water closet. On the opposite wall will be a single sink, a tall cabinet and long counter with storage. There will be 5 ft minimum clear in front of the toilet, sink and shower entry and the door into the bathroom will be widened. A grab bar will be installed in the shower but I’m not going to make it look like a hospital bathroom. No grab bars on every wall or raised toilet or lowered sink. But all those things will be able to changed out or added without significant additional cost later. If I never need the modifications, great. If I do they will be ready.

I had a friend who got an infection and subsequently developed something like Guillen Barre syndrome and he’s been in a nursing home for 4 months. It freaked me out a bit and this bathroom is 20 years old so, no day like today.

@WinsomeLoft I love those shower niches. Looks great.

That should be a lot nicer. It looked great before but this will really spruce it up. Can’t wait to see as it evolves.

Thanks! We’re excited to get it done. I’ll post more at the end of the day.

I’ve made the decision to have the same tile put in the room next door to the Airbnb as is in the Airbnb. I was thinking about it and then I found out the same tile is technically not being stocked any longer and that’s the first step to not being available anywhere. I’ve been through that already 20 years ago so here we go.

This is in case I ever want to expand the Airbnb to two rooms. It would be simple to do, a doorway can just be put between the two rooms. The second room could be an expanded kitchenette/sitting room or maybe another bed could be put in there.
I’m very happy with the business I’ve had for 6 years now but obviously the next few years are going to call for flexibility. I would be relatively simple to make it a complete studio apartment with full but tiny kitchen even.

I know me and I wouldn’t be happy with two different tiles in the two rooms.

2 Likes

Not only will it look nicer to have the same tiles if you open it up to the Airbnb, it will make the space look and feel larger than if it were chopped up by two different floors.

2 Likes

I think planning for versatility in the future is wise. I also agree that using the same tile makes more sense. So you’ll leave it one unit now, but make it easy to change later?

1 Like

I think that’s right. We also learned that making subtle changes like removing a single cabinet can make the room like 2x bigger.

1 Like

Also, almost forgot… Here’s the updated progress pics:

2 Likes

Finished the shower today

7 Likes

That looks lovely.

I love this topic. It’s great to see what everyone is doing.

I haven’t done much unfortunately, but this gives me some inspiration. I have loads of yard work just to get back to “decent” - it’s hard for me to think beyond that. :thinking:

1 Like

I finished the tile table yesterday:) Will be taking a pic when we get it carried (neighbors= strong) to the Hideaway patio. We plan on a new photo shoot! Including dressing up the new table with old dinnerware and champagne etc!! Our bf said she could do new photos!!

Michael is building a major brick staircase from house to hideaway, and the other smaller back staircase up the rocks is getting improved and finished too. We have a big list of work that is getting done!

2 Likes