Ryobi Electrostatic Sprayer

I just purchased a Ryobi sprayer for our cabin and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with the various electrostatic sprayers on the market. What brand of disinfectant do you use for the purpose of trying to combat Covid?

You killed any confidence from my perspective when you mentioned Ryobi, past experience with their power tools makes me avoid them like the plague… pun intended :wink:

JF

1 Like

I love my Ryobi tools! Clearly @JohnF your issues must have been user error!

Lol

RR

After you have used the sprayer for a while, I would like to know your thoughts.

Some Dentist offices Are now using something similar and patients are reporting respiratory tract irritation. I don’t know if there is a true cause & effect or if it is the power of suggestion. I think it may be a bit of both

2 Likes

I bought Steramine for disinfectant (Steramine) . Our housekeeper used to run a restaurant and used this in her restaurant. Odorless, food-safe and inexpensive. It was also almost the only thing I could find a few months ago when I had to get disinfectant!

4 Likes

Nope. Li-ion batteries that within fifteen months needed replaced, despite light to moderate usage, plastic gears in a drill that disintegrated, only the latter issue was resolved by the manufacturer.

I’ll concede, this was around ten years ago, but after replacing things gradually, mainly with Makita, I’ve never been interested in revisiting the brand. Interestingly, I’ve got Makita Li-ion batteries that are seven or eight years old and still keep a decent charge and a Makita drill that is now ten years old and seen four full property reforms, and other than being somewhat scruffy, works perfectly.

JF

I wasn’t so much concerned about the brand as I was whether the overall category of electrostatic sprayers were worth the money for the added benefits they are supposed to provide. I’ve been using a u/v wand to provide extra sterilization but it gets pretty tedious after a while and I’m skeptical that any of these devices marketed to fight Covid really do anything at all.

I am skeptical as well. I think time and fresh air is the key. I mask up open up windows about an hour after guest leaves, then go back a few hours later to start laundry. Clean the next day usually.

RR

4 Likes

Exactly. Our check out instructions now ask guests to open all windows and internal doors before they leave. From what we’ve seen so far, not only do they “get it”, but some go so far as to put chairs against internal doors to stop them blowing closed.

Leave it three hours before doing quick check (sometimes will get laundry going, sometimes not), then overnight before going in to clean and prep. So far, so good.

JF

2 Likes

That’s my take. It’s sanitation theater. It might be a little helpful with colds and flu season coming up. The evidence is that few cases are from surfaces being contaminated. It’s just assumed that surfaces would be a source but the cases aren’t there to support it.

3 Likes

My Makita tools are going strong. Older ones purchased new 15 years ago, newer ones from garage sales 6-7 years ago. Bought 3rd party batteries on Amazon 3 years ago, and everything just chugs away when needed.

@dwormer, There was this thread a while back. Just don’t get confused by the word “antistatic” being used in place of “electrostatic” like other members did.

The thing with surfaces, it seems to me, is that there would have to be a specific set of circumstances where you could get infected. If there were traces of virus on a surface, someone would have to touch that surface, then put the hand they touched it with on their mouth, nose or eyes. And there probably wouldn’t be enough of the virus on that surface to cause infection unless someone had coughed or sneezed directly on it quite recently.

From my reading, it seems that viral load is a factor in contracting the virus. If you were to ingest a speck of it, unless you were already quite health compromised, your body’s immune system would deal with it- if someone who was infected were to cough on you, that’s a whole different story.

Yes, more and more publications have been citing this as a reason why the death rates in Europe as so much less than before, despite the infection rates increasing dramatically.

JF

For some of us with pre-existing co-morbities, ANY viral exposure is too much.

I’ve had encapsulated dormant TB in one lung for almost 70 years. After reading about how this virus attacks blood vessels and lung tissue, I don’t want to be anywhere near it.

3 Likes

To be frank, I don’t want you to be either.

You’re no use to me incapacitated when you should be allowing me to drag (:laughing:) you round my local bodegas, when you finally make this tick off in the bucket list.

I’ll even give you a discount on the accommodation…

JF

3 Likes