Ruined towels, how to charge

Torn on this one. Another house rule, another sign…

2 Likes

Resist it! We give some dark colored wash cloths next to the white wash cloths. That really helped the makeup on the whites issue. The colored wash cloths do still get ruined from bleach spots - acne medicine, apparently, but they are cheapies that don’t match anything else anyway.
Mostly, we buy high quality linens in bulk and that makes it not so painful if we do lose something. Yes, we have $20 towels but we bought a lot at once so they only cost us $7.

I think guests are probably doing their own disinfecting right now?

I had pretty much decided to buy some good quality bleachable white wash cloths and phase out the larger gray towels as they wear out and get stained but a few cheapie black wash cloths sounds like a good mix and the colors will blend and may cut down on the cost. I wash loads based on colors so washing the darks if there are only a few might be an issue. Storage is becoming a problem so bulk isnt doable right now. Thinking of buying a cabinet to put in the laundry room and put some stuff there as 1 not-so-large storage closet is not enough anymore. Cleaning supplies take up so much space
And we do buy that in big sizes. See how one challenge bleeds into another?

1 Like

The cheapie dark cloths are cheap so you can have extras and just wash them as they accumulate. One of our apartments gets a dark bath mat too so we combine them for the wash.

Yes, I understand the storage issues. I’ve lost an entire room in my apartment to it. Storage is one of the best tools you can have, so if you can put a cabinet somewhere, just do it :slight_smile:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this too you or not but the common wisdom is to have 3 sets of everything: 1 set in with guests, 1 set dirty from prior guests and 1 set clean and in reserve.

The Company Store sells seperates

I have 2sets of everything now, but ordered more sheets in percale and will add 3rd set of everything in next few months. Agree its smart to have 3 sets.

2 Likes

I purchased inexpensive black washcloths with that were embroidered with" MAKEUP "and a cute bubble design on them put them in a basket on the bathroom counter and so far everything is good. If they do get ruined it is much less expensive than replacing towel sets.

1 Like

i had makeup all over my nice white towels, and my answer was to tie dye them. now guests can soil them however they like, and if it won’t wash out, nobody will notice anyway. and i have a nice hippie vibe going…

3 Likes

Damaged towels, sheets etc are simply the cost of doing business.

Anyone who penny pinches by trying to charge a guest has a) too much invested in their whatever fancy set they leave in their STR or b) simply has too much time on their hands.

Get over it and look to your next set of guests.

Eesch…

JF

2 Likes

Everyone apparently agrees with you and so did I, it was my hubby who thought we should charge the guest. Ready to move on!

3 Likes

Good idea about adding note to the House Rules. I already have a small note in the bathroom asking that make-up be removed with Micellar water and make-up towelettes that have been provided for guests. Despite this, the guest before last and his girlfriend left a selection of hand towels, face washers, and 4 bath sheets covered with make-up, mascara and lipstick. Ditto for the Egyptian cotton pillowcases also covered in mascara, and lipstick on the carpet. On top, there was a $150 charge to repair a broken roller blind connection. I’m still trying to frame their review. He only joined in Feb 2020, had no other stays, and no reviews. I’m finding the zero review guests are largely disrespectful of the apartment.

1 Like

After 30 years of STR, I’ve learned to use only off white towels and washcloths, they are the most forgiving. We charge $250/nite for a 2 bedroom free standing house and supply a closet full of towels etc . A majority of guests use only what’s needed. I expect to throw out around 10% of them during a season of guests, a cost of doing business.

5 Likes