Ruined towels, how to charge

You need to change this immediately. You’re going to lose towels and you are definitely going to lose wash cloths and hand towels. Sets will be the death of you. Figure out how to coordinate and replace, because it is just part of the deal.

6 Likes

I agree with JJD. I quickly learned my lesson with bed sheet sets. Now I buy 6 sets of the same so if a guest ruins a pillow case I can still use what’s left of that set.

The Pima Peru Percale I’ve been using sell the pillowcases, top and fitted sheet separately. They aren’t cheap sheets though. There are a number of lines that sell items separately.

2 Likes

Thank you so much : ) I’ll search for them on Amazon.

2 Likes

I just did and they are (now) $129. I found an earlier post by @KKC in 2019 where they were only $80. They have a set for $70, but it is for the 250 TC. Anyone tried these? I think most of my current percale sheets are at most 300 TC and are great…

I can’t find these in separates for top/bottom sheets, just pillowcases. I’d love to just buy a couple of bottom sheets. Another one bit the dust this Monday - along with the mattress pad. Someone decided it was a good idea to fall asleep with a ballpoint pen. Destroyed. :pleading_face:

2 Likes

i agree with some of the other hosts here, ruined sheets, towels and broken dishes is just part of doing airbnb. thats why i buy inexpensive towels and linens, knowing ill have to replace them within a year. But if the guest offers to compensate then ill accept otherwise don’t go making claims for small things.

So what does everyone consider inexpensive. Is it worth it —all around guest comfort, longevity of the sheet, your cost for replacementetc…— to spend 130 dollars on a set of sheets that may get ruined by a ball point pen next week. I guess I am trying to figure outwhere ro draw that line between preference and profit…

2 Likes

The Pima Peru Percale Queen I use are $130 right now but I got one set in April 2019 for $100 and a few days later I saw they were $73 so I got a second set. Also somewhere in the fine print I’d seen they had a lifetime guarantee against wear and tear (not stains). I found a small hole in one pillowcase and I wrote them and they did indeed send a new set of pillowcases.

They have a lower TC set that’s currently $89.
https://smile.amazon.com/Peru-Pima-Thread-Percale-Peruvian/dp/B01M5GEWWA/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=VomnvmRa6xhockHGTaVCcQ&hsa_cr_id=5589158130601&pd_rd_r=0bad205a-4bd3-4c2b-9962-24f0a17646c7&pd_rd_w=7e2dq&pd_rd_wg=VUVL9&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_title&th=1

I typically have over a hundred bookings a year although obviously numbers are way down this year. Still that’s quite a bit of wear because I wash the sheets and put them right back on the bed 99% of the time.

All that to say, I don’t consider them to be “inexpensive” as I can get sheets for half that every day at Costco. But I like them and think they are worth it.

For towels I buy Costco’s Charisma line when on sale. It’s usually $6/bathtowel. They have a less plush line they sell in bundles. They seem okay to me, I think there are others here that use them. But I’ve had a few compliments on the Charisma and like how they last. When they are no longer fluffy or get a bad
pull or something they go into my supply that will be donated to animal shelters.

1 Like

How did I miss this! Sold! Just added to my cart. Says there are only (4) left.

1 Like

Hair spray may remove the ink if you have not thrown it out yet

I will give it a try! Thanks!

Charge for the towels and hand them over to the guest. They ruined them, they can have the benefit of using them!!

It depends on so many things. The price of your listing for one thing - some guests would expect better quality items in a listing that is $200 per night per person than one that is $20.

Average stay is another factor. With mostly 1 or two night stays the items are going to be laundered often. And sometimes higher quality, more expensive items stand up to frequent washing whereas cheaper goods don’t. I’ve found, other hosts may differ, that more expensive items can work out cheaper in the long run (like scented candles, or shoes etc.)

Whether you always do a mid-stay linen change alters the frequency of laundering - and how badly they need it. Even the washing machine - washing gently with cold water or washing heavily with hot?

Also, there’s the host’s ability to get out marks. I have many items that have been in service in the rentals for five years but I’m obsessive about soaking and so on. Other hosts will throw away a bloodstained sheet without even trying to get the mark out.

So there are many variables. The important thing is to be aware of your annual spending on bedding and towels and allowing for this when you work out your nightly rate.

1 Like

A$400 sheet of sheets purchased for $99, 4 years ago is still going strong at one of my listings.

3 Likes

I also have been putting out twice the number of towels then I used to. More towels, same load of wash, happy guests and if they use more towels each towel is used half as much. I think it makes for less staining/hard dirt to remove. All white everything here as well.

RR

1 Like

I am going to check with our local shelter. I will check with the womans shelter, too, they may be willing to take clean but stained sheets

1 Like

All of my own personal sheets and towels are trash. They are clean but towels may have holes or stains. My sheets can’t be torn but they have stains and bleach spots. They are clean every few dogs but with the dogs I have here I can’t really have nice things in my bedroom.

We take ours to one of the local veterinarians’ offices. Poorly dogs and cats don’t worry about tatty towels. :dog: :cat: :dog: :cat:

1 Like

I have trashed so many towels, including white towels, that I finally decided to have a drawer with stained or cheap washcloths. I have the drawer labeled “face towels.” I then added a sign on the bathroom wall stating “Please do not use bath towels for washing/drying your face as this may cause staining. Washcloths are provided in bottom drawer of vanity. Any makeup stain(s) on bath towel will incur a fee of $15.00 per towel, as towel will need to be replaced (this is disclosed in the House Rules).” I have not had another incident since I posted the sign and added it to the House Rules. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool beans. Did not even think of that.

1 Like