Review of a 3rd Party Booking

Sure, but with a third party the information has to be passed onto the person staying, and you don’t know that they received it. At least when you are dealing with the person who booked and is staying you know that you have given them the information.

2 Likes

Blockquote. It was my choice not to message her when I was blocked in, because I did not want to disrupt a business meeting…the banquet meeting included realtors who were also local, and It was not in my personal business interest to get the largest local real estate organization in my town angry at me for dragging someone out of their meeting. I balanced my inconvenience of staying home for a night, against interrupting a meeting that could trigger a deeper issue, and even trigger a bad review. I dont need the bad review about parking restrictions in order to “warn” future guests, since during 9 years It has not been an issue. Yup, a bit of a fear of a bad review for enforcing my rules. We all deal with that balance, don’t we?
My house rules, and my contract are clear and sent a few times prior to arrival. My information specifies the allowed # of cars with the group, and also parking instructions ( dont block the garage ! ) . I also have a sign in the house - it is the Only sign in the house. It is also in the manual. When this extra car showed up, it was one extra car more then was allowed on the contract, and it blocked me in for an evening. They had 7 cars in my driveway. Since this has not happened before ( except one other time ) in 9 years, I attribute this to a lack of a person in charge,

Blockquote

This totally confuses me and I dont know whether, in the same situation, I would shake sense into you or give those guests a piece of my mind :wink: I am teasing and dead serious at the same time.
Blocking you in isn’t due to a lack of someone in charge but a lack of respect and entitlement. That person deserves to be pulled out of a meeting and scolded by their peers (and you!:slight_smile: . That is just common sense.
It makes me mad that you’re arrested by fear of retribution by a local business so much that you sacrifice your self respect and freedom by not feeling able to give them a lesson in common courtesy.

Also, its very doubtful that this person booking these guests was a leader or person in charge anyway. Usually the one making travel accomodations is the lowest on the totem pole or a member of support staff. They are simply following orders and following them as efficiently as they understand how.

If you received a bad review for such a glaring error on their part, this would warrant a well deserved response on your part setting them straight. In fact, its the courteous thing for you to include this in your own review insofar as to alert other potential hosts to the infraction and behaviour of these guests.

If you are so fearful of the reprisal you may suffer from the local business community by pulling someone out of a meeting, wouldnt a negative review calling out an entire group for participating in such poor behaviour as a whole be much worse? You can guarantee that kind of thing gets around.

Count your lucky stars this group was well behaved “overall” and didnt do real damage and be cautious next time this comes up in a booking or request.

As for ensuring the light outside goes on at dusk and off at daylight, personally I would be annoyed at such a request. I would simply put that light on a timer. A guest on holiday or business doesnt want to feel like they have a daily task to remember, honestly. The safety of the property is your responsibility to remember and not theirs…:slight_smile:

5 Likes

OH MY GOODNESS what Drama ! … I consider Rational, calm, weighted, mature decision making to be a plus. I am generally thoughtful and patient with my guest groups. No high strung knee jerk reactions from me. All I asked for from my post was some forum input for my review; I am surprised that a review question has teetered into an analysis of fear, respect, freedom, and even touching on Paraliyis (“arrest” ).

[quote=“Harlow_Gold, post:85, topic:26012”]
:slight_smile: I am teasing and dead serious at the same time.
Blocking you in isn’t due to a lack of someone in charge but a lack of respect and entitlement. That person deserves to be pulled out of a meeting and scolded by their peers (and you!:slight_smile: . That is just common sense.

That car was not an overnight guest from this house, and that extra car was not supposed to even be at the house. It was an “overflow” car. It was my personal choice not to interrupt a meeting or a banquet. I place very high value on work ethics and even if the car placement was wrong, which it was, I did not want to punish anybody making an income. If they had been out partying, then yes I likely would have texted and interrupted. I applied my value system to the decision making process. I recognize that some humans operate with a lack of respect and an entitlement attitude. A scolding review to a 3rd party won’t alter that.

It makes me mad that you’re arrested by fear of retribution by a local business so much that you sacrifice your self respect and freedom by not feeling able to give them a lesson in common courtesy.

NO NO NO NO NO…please, no drama. Oh My. I have the right to make a weighted decision. Those other assumptions are blown way out of proportion. No sacrifice; I moved on. I let mother’s and spouses and teachers teach common courtesy…not my role.

Also, its very doubtful that this person booking these guests was a leader or person in charge anyway. Usually the one making travel accomodations is the lowest on the totem pole or a member of support staff. They are simply following orders and following them as efficiently as they understand how.

That is probably true. Exactly why I would not willingly accept a 3rd Party booking. Valid point. I learned from the experience and the coded inquiry. I also learned about the ABB position of a 3rd party res. It is muddled at best.

If you received a bad review for such a glaring error on their part, this would warrant a well deserved response on your part setting them straight. In fact, its the courteous thing for you to include this in your own review insofar as to alert other potential hosts to the infraction and behaviour of these guests.

My choice. That was the reason for my post in the first place. To gather input here. Any review I give would not attach anyway to the visitor who was rude. Right now I am still leaning towards no review. I don’t view my role as one of “setting them straight”. I dont take that on. I either review with facts, or decide to pass for a slew of considered reasons.

If you are so fearful of the reprisal you may suffer from the local business community by pulling someone out of a meeting, wouldnt a negative review calling out an entire group for participating in such poor behaviour as a whole be much worse? You can guarantee that kind of thing gets around.

OK . Yes Sure. @KKC pointed that out. So that is why I think I will pass on posting a review. Just not worth creating any gossip or negativity.

Count your lucky stars this group was well behaved “overall” and didnt do real damage and be cautious next time this comes up in a booking or request.

i dont think I really need to “count my lucky stars”. I live in an attached apartment. It is really tough to do real damage within my property boundaries, with me physically here. I have a solid track record of no issues. And, I already mentioned that I would watch for red flags of 3rd party bookings in the future, and I learned from this reservation request. I never stop learning which is good because ABB never stops moving the line or changing the rules. Gotta keep on my toes. Over 9 years, and ( having done the math ) truthfully conservatively speaking 9000 or more people sleeping in my 2 large houses year round, I must be getting a handle on being a proper host. I have never had any major damage, had no major issues that were not professionally handled immediately; I have mostly 5 star reviews on both houses, and I only had my car blocked in one other time, a few years ago, by a rude entitled Mother of the Bride. That time I offered for her to leave and get a full refund. She stayed.

As for ensuring the light outside goes on at dusk and off at daylight, I would be annoyed at such a request. I would simply put that light on a timer. A guest on holiday or business doesnt want to feel like they have a daily task to remember, honestly. The safety of the property is your responsibility to remember and not theirs…:slight_smile:

You are entitled to your opinion regarding flipping a switch. In my book, a person resistant to flipping a switch might be a bit antagonistic to resist or refuse turning on a porch light which is for the group convenience anyway ( as well as common sense safety) . I wonder how many hosts have the front door lights on a timer to go on a dark and off at daylight.
[/quote]

Me. I have one over the garage so technically not a “front door light.” I would like one that either has a light sensor or a motion senser but haven’t found just what I want yet. I think the idea of have a dusk to dawn porch light makes excellent sense.

1 Like

We have them. They’re photosensored. I believe that’s the term. By the way, I totally get now why you wouldn’t have interrupted the meeting. I may have done the same. I think I would leave a factual review and move on. For me leaving the door unlocked would bother me more then anything, but I am in the city.

1 Like

I would write a neutral review which will damn them with faint praise, and thumbs down so they can’t instant book with hosts who screen for that. Then they will have to communicate. You won’t get any retaliation so win win.

1 Like

I have 2 sensored spotlights on the side corners of the house. No sensors on the lights on the porch to the front door.
I also have up lights on the trees.
I think I will look into sensors, or a timer, for the 2 front door porch lights…good idea that never crossed my mind. 95% of guests automatically leave that light on at night.
Currently, the lights are hard wired to a switch, as were all lights in a house 30 years ago.

There are plenty of fixtures with the LED built in if you need a wall mount. If you need a ceiling mount there are fewer options which is the #1 reason I haven’t made mine dusk to dawn or motion sensor.

Just remove the existing fixture and install the new one. That said, if someone turns off the switch then the light won’t come on at dark.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Lumsden-7-in-Black-Outdoor-Integrated-LED-Wall-Mount-Lantern-with-Photocell-NTSW7300L30BLPC/205876067

I will have to “cap-off” the wall switch for sure.

Keep in mind there might be times when one wants to be able to turn off the porch light. For example I sometimes sit in the evening on my front porch but never with the porch light on.

Good strategy !!! and great input. Thank you.

I can’t have it both ways … if I need the sensor to work, then I have to cap the switch. You are right, lots of times they want it off.
I am back to leaving it as it is.
Oh well.

I use smart bulbs, wifi connected and can be set up and controlled via an app on my phone. I have the switches taped over but I am going to hardwire them and just put a blank cover on them. I have them come on at dusk, then at 10:00 PM they dim to about 15% brightness until they shut off at dawn. I have these on all the outside lights, it’s nice when I have driven by after 10 lights still on and you could see yourself to the door but its dim, like a nightlight.

RR

1 Like

This entire thread is an interesting example of “the stories we tell ourselves.” I read an business book on this topic recently. The point of the book is that we, as humans, can take a few bits of information and create stories to fill in the blanks and make judgement. I think @RiverRock is very good at distilling information into basic facts without falling into the trap of telling him/her self stories and making judgements (maybe being a RE broker has been good training?) I also congratulate @georgygirlofairbnb for recognizing how much drama and judgements came out of this storytelling and was able to dial back from it.

I only mention this because, at my advanced age of 58, I’m learning this new skill and applying it at my day job and my ABB as well. Telling ourselves stories is dangerous, creates unnecessary drama and judgements, and creates situations where there are none.

I am certain the OP will do just fine with however she reviews this stay.

3 Likes

Hi there,
I get bookings from groups all the time.
One question in my welcome ( after the booking is confirmed)
• Please confirm if you are booking for someone else. If so Please provide all contact info for the other person.
• you should send the same message to the other contact. Never assume that the person booking has shared all of your requirements and details with the other guest.
• as far as parking. Upon confirmed booking. We list in the house rules where to park with photos to support.
• hope that helps😊

I hear you loud and clear and I appreciate your input.
I will watch for red flags at the time of inquiry… like a hawk now !
But after 9 years and 2 houses, and 9000 + guests, this was the first 3rd party booking. I know this because we greet each group and I communicate and follow up with every reservation both during and after.
I have a “personal policy” that I don’t “react” unless and until I receive repetitive negative feedback from guests, or the situation becomes an issue more than once. Until then, I slot guest feedback into my brain under the " guest individual preference file" .
So while I will continue to watch for red flags, and be alert now to signals that a booking could be a 3rd party booking, I won’t immediately react to ask this every time of every booking.
I also won’t create and send parking photos. It is a huge horseshoe driveway, plus a graveled side parking. .
I do think that my multiple sent out instructions, plus being greeted and verbally being shown where to park , and additionally having a sign in the house, seems to be historically sufficient for 99.9% of guests who rent the house. The Garage is Not included in the rental, and that is stated in the listing, and the garage is not in any photos, so I think that would confuse the guest and create more confusion from the get - go. We used to have signs by the gravel saying “guest parking” but then they were afraid to park in the circular driveway so we had to remove the signs. Good intentions gone bad; unforseen consequences to the signs, which i was sure would be helpful.
Like I said, we can park 6 cars easily without blocking the garage, ( and 7 with a squeeze ) so we can park more than the normal house. And we max out at 11 guests. To have an issue like this is out of the norm. There should not be that many cars coming with a rental group, and our contract also states ad specifies the number of cars allowed with the group.
Remember, I create a custom contract for each and every rental, and have it signed and returned with photo ID. So a lot of of crosschecks are already in place. This was bad guest behavior, not bad host information.
Nontheless, I do hear your input, and I appreciate that you were willing to chime in and post. And I think it is great feedback for many property owners who may have less available parking, or who dont require contracts, or who cater to a different market.
But, I hear you, and I understand that the system that you shared works for you and prevents some issues. Again, I appreciate your input.
i dont think I want to implement more procedures though at this time, yet.
Thank you again.

1 Like

wait a minute now…I get a bristly indignant response and am quickly dismissed at raising the absurd suggestion that a timed light (that guests dont have to worry about ) is commonplace among other hosts… but as soon as other hosts chime in supportedly towards the idea, your tone changes to appreciative syrup! Not fair ! :wink:

2 Likes

I assure you my role in this thread wasnt governed by any drama, on my part at least. This isn’t a hard ethically complicated thinking persons dilemma that you have presented. My post was meant as plaflyfully thoughtful and full of personal opinion. After all, Isnt that what you asked for??:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this is the long and short of it all right herem. Plainly. Never assume. Never act on assumption.
:smile: Assumption and truth sit at totally different tables"

1 Like

From what you have said. That isn’t what happened. You asked her if her group were enjoying their stay and she said they were. That doesn’t imply she was there. You say you know she intended to be misleading and so I am sure there must be something in your correspondence with her that makes you feel that. From what you have posted here, it’s just I can’t see it.

I think it was clear from her signing the contract in the company name, that it was a business booking and at that point you could have (if you are business ready) asked her to set up a business account to make the booking.

It’s frustrating when you feel a guest isn’t being honest, but we all learn from these experiences.

I am sure next time you have a booking like this you will know the flags to watch out for and will check your contracts to make sure the details match, before going ahead with the booking.

3 Likes