Review of a 3rd Party Booking

Clearly you misunderstood me, or just did not like what I said but I did not attack you and I was not aggressive.

Have a great day @georgygirlofairbnb

RR

2 Likes

That social media thing is scary. It makes me think we should keep a low profile on social media, unless of course we actually use it to promote our b&b business in the first place. However she wouldn’t know about a thumbs down. It’s terrible if we’re too scared to write honest reviews.

2 Likes

The key thing here is “local realtors.” In most cases guests wouldn’t be able to post anything retaliatory that would hurt your airbnb business. But if you have other local connections or are known in your community and you want to maintain a good relationship with those people then you are in different category.

2 Likes

The worst guest I ever had came to my city to stalk an ex girlfriend. He was going to read a poem about their relationship at a poetry bash she was performing in. He was an ex dealer of class As, frightened my other female guest and just totally wanted to take over my home. Air cancelled his reservation for breaking house rules. As a retaliation he used my phone number to sign up for all kinds of junk texts and calls, I was inundated for weeks. I suggested to Air we should have the option of scrambling our phone number with guests, just like Gumtree etc do. There’s no reason for guests to have our real mobile number.

4 Likes

@georgygirlofairbnb, I initially queried whether your issue was valid but now, having seen all the other evidence you presented, I can understand your discomfort. Nobody likes a liar.
K9 makes some really good points about being cautious over the review, particularly if you think it will effect future bookings with this type of business traveller.

1 Like

I just re read the whole thread and still do not see where the guest lied? The OP stated that she could not be sure if she was there or not but suspected she was not. Seems unfair to give a bad review because she is suspicious the host was not there when she knowingly allowed a 3rd party booking, or at least did not cancel when she found out in her early communications.

RR

1 Like

I think you missed this.

She didn’t find out in early communications. She realized in hindsight that she should have seen the red flags. She didn’t know for sure she was being lied to until the end. Now knowing that she was she is weighing the pros and cons of mentioning it in the review.

2 Likes

Like K9 said, she got a text saying as much. It’s a tricky one. I’m a pretty laid back host and take third party bookings sometimes. But only when it’s upfront from the start. I don’t like being lied to, who does?

2 Likes

@KKC @Magwitch Clearly I missed the part about being certain the booking guest was not there, but it’s clear in the OP’s FIRST bullet point on the thread that the person was booking for her team and then the corresponded about what that meant.

I guess I just don’t see what the big deal is, they stayed they paid they left, no damage no mess.

RR

1 Like

I don’t see the lie… The original booking guest was asked how it was going and after not responding at first was asked again and said it was going well or something to that affect. She could have checked in with team and relayed that all was good. I guess I am just too layed back

RR

I agree with this, I wouldn’t have a problem with this booking or result either.

But, it’s not our booking and it’s not our house. And let’s face it, we all get pissed when we are lied to. Surely you have had a booking that wasn’t that big of a deal but you were pissed. Like if someone snuck in a cat and there was no problem and no damage and you found out about it as they were walking out with the cat in a carrier.

4 Likes

Cats… you do know me @KKC !

Yes I would be pissed off , because it would be clearly a lie and a violation.

RR

1 Like

LOL, so finally we square the circle! This is precisely what the OP was posting about - how to review this guest that didn’t actually cause any problems other than being a damned LIAR! (It took me a while to get there, too, admittedly)

@georgygirlofairbnb Have you come to any conclusion on what review you will leave?

3 Likes

Well now that you mention that they left the door unlocked and didn’t turn the porch light on when asked, I would definitely mention it, maybe like this, “It was not made clear to me that the person booking would not be staying and was booking on behalf of some business associates. This may have led to a few of my house rules being broken. The people staying did leave my place clean and were otherwise good guests, but it would have been helpful for everyone had I known it was a 3rd party booking to begin with”.

7 Likes

That sounds perfect. Calm, factual, non-accusatory. Leaves everything open - but clear - for future hosts to decide but does not incriminate or piss off the guests.

Gold star ++++ from me.

3 Likes

Thank you for asking. I went for a walk to continue to mull things over and absorb all of the thoughts, input and opinions given.
Now…I do still have 10 days…
But, I think I am going to remain silent.
Because mainly what @KKC pointed out. I am connected in the town. We are in the midst of a regulations battle. It is not in my best interest to ruffle any feathers with the largest massive real estate conglomerate in town. I do know the broker in charge and I don’t want any negativity to trickle back. I have learned a lesson about paying attention to possible 3rd party red flags.
My current final decision, unless it changes in the next 10 days , is … Silence. No thumbs up and no thumbs down and no feedback.

2 Likes

very well said. Polite and to the point.

Mmhh… does that really sit well with you? Honestly? I don’t fully understand the connection with these real estate people but can understand if it effects your business. That’s assuming you want to court this kind of business? If yes, well you should probably take advantage and market your property for those type of guests. If not, well… don’t be bullied and roll over. Nobody ever regretted standing up for themselves, they always regret not doing it.

I am cautious because our town is currently creating regulations.

Lol, ok. I guess it’s a matter of perspective. I have kids I get lied to all the time. If a teenagers lips are moving they are lying…

That being said I am still not convinced anyone was lied to here.

RR

Delivered by carrier pigeon