Review from HELL. downright deplorable

~Casa by the Sea~Centrally located! Private Suite]

REVIEW FROM HELL

I stumbled upon a review that is downright deplorable.
October (+3 pages back) a Swedish guest left a review that is particularly harsh.

Blockquote

Sonja - October 2018

According to the previous reviews, I really believe that Chrisina was a great host as long as she lived on the premises. Like leaving a map with instructions for the guests is a more of an aloha welcome then putting notes (in capital letters) everywhere, telling you what you MUST do, what you aren’t allowed to do, and so on. It felt that she didn’t appreciate our suggestions. Christina does respond quick when you send her an email. Before our arrival we had contact and she allowed us to check in early. That was nice. So we arrived when it was light and that was a good thing, because we had to search for the lightswitches that are not at the entrance of the building. There are solarlights outside. The first day after we came back in the dark, they lighted up well, but the other 2 nights they didn’t, because both days were cloudy and rainy. As we checked out the premises after we arrived we noticed that the guestroom could only be locked from the inside. Not from the outside! And we had to leave all our stuff there, were everybody could just walk in and take them. We ended up putting all our valuables back in the car when we left. Every day. Christina’s response about the fact that we couldn’t lock the room, was that it was a save neighbourhood, but we could move to the upstairs room that had locks, if we would pay $80 more every night. I don’t think so! Then she offered that we could storage our belongings for free upstairs if we wanted. That would mean schlepping the suitcases up and down everytime we went away or came back again. Not very conveniant. The second day we came back the curtains of the kitchen were pushed open, a box was delivered and the light in the guestroom was on. It’s possible that we forgot to put out the light, but we’re pretty sure we did. We were glad that we took our valuables with us, but didn’t like the thought that somebody might have been in our room. The inside/outside kitchen was very nice and big. The guestroom on the other hand was very small and stuffed with 3 beds. On the pictures it looked much bigger. There is airconditioning in the guestroom, but there are no windows in the window frames, just screens. It was a challenge repacking all our stuff before our flight to the next island in that small room. Her respond when I told her that was, Quote: “The guest suite is small but you have a lot of space in kitchen area. You also have a carport and a deck which you never had before.” How does she know if we hadn’t had a carport and a deck before? Should we repack under the carport? What’s the relevance of this commend? When we booked this room the advertisement stated that there was a washer and dryer that could be used for a fee. Being able to do our laundry was the number one priority for us to book this room. After our booking Christina changed the rules, without notification, and we weren’t allowed to do our laundry there. Of course it’s her privilege as an owner to change the rules as she wants to, but it would have been nice if she notified the people who already made a reservation, about the changed rules. I would have canceled the reservation and searched another place. As I mentioned this to her I got this answer: Quote: “I can’t be held responsible because you didn’t have time to do laundry before you arrived at my property. Im assuming your last rental didn’t have a washer and dryer otherwise you wouldn’t have needed mine. I’ve always traveled and used laundromat it never took much time a d i design clothes i know exactly how long it takes.” I’m sorry, but this answer is a lot of BS. When you travel by plane, you can only take a certain amount of clothes with you. We plan ahead when we have to do our laundry during our vacation. We’re not going to do laundry when it isn’t necessary. That’s why we booked this room with laundry facilities. And yes, it does takes to much of daytime if you have to drive at least 15 minutes to a town, find a laundromat, wait when your laundry is in the machines, fold it and drive back again. That time I rather spend on sightseeing. Instead of waisting our time at the laundromat we had to buy some new underwear. Thank you very much. By the way, the nearest restaurants are also at least a 15 minutes drive away. What can we tell you about the showers? It sounds very romantic, an outdoor shower. Well, it isn’t after you come back in the dark after a long, hot day, when it starts raining and the solar lights won’t go on. And there is nobody on site to tell you if there is a trick to get them to work or an instruction for the lights. We ended up washing ourselfs at the sink, because there isn’t a shower in the bathroom. We have to say that this was the only disappointing B&B we’ve stayed in at Hawaii. It felt more like camping to us. If you like camping this could be the place for you, but unfortunately we don’t.

Blockquote

And here is the Super Host Reply -

Response from Christina:
“Sonja I have reached out to airbnb for their help on this review. I am sorry you couldn’t find anything nice to say about our beautiful home. Perhaps you are just a very unhappy person. My description is spot on and there is no where on this website where it says you can use my washer and dryer. I let guests use it for a fee if the stay 5 days or more. Also, picture 20 shows the exact layout of the guest suite with 3 beds. There is a reason I have 55 (5 star reviews). You are just a small percentage of the type of guests we try to avoid.
You paid half price less for:
PRIVATE CARPORT
LARGE PRIVATE DECK/LANAI
PRIVATE 1 ACRE HOME 1 BLOCK FROM THE OCEAN
PRIVATE GUEST SUITE WITH 2 SHOWERS AND A PRIVATE BATHROOM
LARGE INDOOR-OUTDOOR KITCHEN.
IF YOU WANTED TO PAY LESS THAN 100 A NIGHT I WOULD SAY TO RENT A BUNGALOW AND NOT SOMEONES HOME. HAWAII IS EXPENSIVE AND YOU DO NOT REALIZE HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS TO RUN ELECTRICITY. MY LISTING WILL REMAIN THE SAME BECAUSE IT IS 100% ACCURATE. I will have to say you out of all our guests this year you were the worst guests we had.
READ THE DESCRIPTION IT SAYS INDOOR OUTDOOR DINING AND KITCHEN AREA. I offered you to rent the Main home but you did not want to pay more than what you were paying. IT IS IMPORTANT AS A GUEST TO READ WHAT YOU ARE RENTING.
I HAVE 3 OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM AND YOU CHOSE THE UNIT THAT HAD THE OUTDOOR SHOWER WHICH IS ENCLOSED IN ALL CEDAR WOOD AND INDOOR-OUTDOOR KITCHEN. Thanks for your stay. I think Hawaii is not for you. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Mahalos”

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

and because this review literally haunts my dreams I looked into the review left by the host given to the guest.

“Sonja was a terrible guest. I do not advise her to stay with you if you are based in the United States. Instead of enjoying her time on the island, she complained about every little thing. Once I checked her in to see how things went, she could not stop complaining. It was not worth it to override such an unhappy person everywhere. She had a beautiful house to stay alone, one block from the ocean and instead she decided to be negative and make everyone unhappy during her stay in our house. Does not rent SONJA if you have a unique holiday home. She will try to give you a bad reputation if she is very unhappy.”

Translated from Dutch ¡ This description was automatically translated using Google Translate and may not be completely accurate.

This host and guest sound like a bad match for each other and each a mess in their own way all the way around.

7 Likes

And neither, it seems, knows how to write using paragraphs and without shouting in ALL CAPS.

10 Likes

I am just so flabbergasted by guests detailed review. It’s horrifying she is tallying up a list of complaints about relatively harmless issues.

I can imagine having some of the same problems with the locks, lights, notes, laundry.

1 Like

[quote=“indenturedhermit, post:1, topic:34281”]
What’s the relevance of this commend?
[/quote]

I just got to analize it more. hehe

[quote=“indenturedhermit, post:1, topic:34281”]
Of course it’s her privilege as an owner to change the rules as she wants to, but it would have been nice if she notified the people who already made a reservation, about the changed rules.
[/quote]

Do you think its improtant to track down guests if you change a policy?

The length of the negative review speaks volumes. How long do you think it took her to write it? 2 hours?

Something about it feels like she didn’t actually make the reservation because she was incredibly unaware of what she rented.

She was going to make some one “pay” for her lack of knowledge.

Or maybe she did the booking, failed to read about the listing, her friend gave her a hard time so now she is giving the host a bad review instead of accepting responsibility.

Addendum—like @KKC pointed out, this host seems erratic too. Talk about a bad match.

2 Likes

To me it depends on whether the change will affect the guest’s stay. For example: I changed my maximum occupancy from 4 to 2. I did not cancel or change existing reservations so no need to notify the guests.

Also I’m not sure if a host can change host rules & expect the guest to abide by the new ones. I save a copy of each guest’s Airbnb itinerary —it includes house rules in affect at time of booking, not any revisions.

Track down? No, it’s important to honor the terms of your agreement at the time the guest books. If I change a policy I’m going to give the guest the benefit of the doubt. And even if I don’t change a policy I will probably give them the benefit of the doubt. For example, let’s say the host really did change the laundry policy after the Swedish woman booked. She still should have just said “okay you can do laundry for xx dollars.”

I’m seeing this exchange out of context but I wouldn’t stay with this host. She’s a hot mess and there are 5000 other hosts in HI who aren’t. I’ll choose one of them.

6 Likes

This is an excellent example of why hosts should not respond to negative reviews. The guest’s review really made her out to be a whack job, but I was just CRINGING reading the host’s reply.

8 Likes

Swedish, Danish, Dutch… to you Americans their all the same.

Seems it was a bad match, both host and guest have good reviews. Only this one stands out on both sides.

And like other mentioned, never to a review that is so over the top bad when all others are 5*.
A guest will ignore these long reads.

1 Like

KKC, true. you said it perfectly! Even I buck up and help guest with laundry for $5 when they ask.

We have an old old Kenmore washer in the back staircase mudroom. It is powered by a generator and is old old, so no one knows hows to turn it on, hah unless I show them.

I can, however, imagine having an issue trusting a human wrecking ball with my washer.
Not sure I would let her use it alone. Imagine a hard/difficult/impossible to please Nickle and dimmer who has to do laundry at a time convenient to themselves. I doubt they will listen to your instructions. People are defiant, ignore you, get confused, or just don’t care.

Idk the Swedish lady hit close to home. heh :joy::sweat_smile: ive been thinking a lot about my own laundry protocol lately. My last 3 bookings have not paid $5 per load even tho I walked them threw it showed them the $ jar and left them to it…

I’ve read far worse reviews. This one wasn’t even entertaining :frowning: Most of the complaints seemed valid, assuming they’re true.

If this review “literally haunts your dreams” I’m guessing you’re actually the host in question? I would let it go, it’s not worth stressing over. But you should really get some decent locks for the suite.

4 Likes

hah i was a little dramatic but it is nightmar-ish. It takes time to work out the kinks and find your nitch in hawaii.

I’ve got a review like this under my belt. It still makes me feel bad when I pass over it. Nature of the business I suppose.

I think they both were meant for each other. Both reviews could have used Ken’s ‘just the facts’ approach. And I agree with @jaquo, the use of paragraphs and editing would certainly be appreciated.

Of all the guest issues, I’d be concerned about

• the lack of a lock on the accommodations.
  • air conditioning with no way to close windows (no wonder the host laments about electricity costs)
  • Possibly, the outdoor lighting if it were as bad as described.

And what harm would come from letting the guest use the laundry and pay for it as supposedly advertised.

Both have done themselves a disservice by handling it the way they did; it would alert me not to host the guest, nor stay at the host’s listing.

4 Likes

So if you can imagine having the same problems, why don’t you fix them? Then you won’t get reviews like that. Seems simple enough…

3 Likes

Exactly. As a prospective guest, this review by itself against dozens of great reviews would only reflect on that one traveler. The host’s response to it reflects directly on the host and would make me find somewhere else to stay because she sounds a little unhinged.

3 Likes

To me it sounds like the guest had several legitimate complaints, but was so angry when she wrote her review that she comes off sounding crazy, The host’s response is even worse. 55 reviews isn’t really that many, and if it’s that cheap probably no one mentioned any of the issues. Would never stay there, nor do I want that guest.
By the way, yes, I do think it’s important to message (I’d hardly call it “tracking down”) a guest if something that may affect their stay changes, be it an amenity offered or a rule.

3 Likes