Returning items left by guests

I agree.

I suspect that if this couple are long-term users that they are not embarrassed but if they just started they might be embarrassed.

It IS, to me, a tricky situation.

BUT @JJD and @Muddy are pretty savvy and they think we’re being silly about it. They’re probably right . . . but who knows?

If you don’t get a better answer I’d go with what they say.

I wonder if @jaquo or @lisanddavid or @gillian have thoughts here.

2 Likes

Could you put it in a basket or box labelled items forgotten by guests and remind your regular guest that any items left behind are held for eg 6 weeks awaiting claims. Put it in a neutral part of the accomodation (not the bedroom). That way confidentiality is maintained and if the regular guest doesnt take it, throw it away.

4 Likes

This is a delightful dilemma. A little funny, definitely a puzzle for people who want to provide good service and maintain repeat customers. I am of two minds here:

On the one hand, I would like to think that most people who have such a toy are sex-positive and felt empowered enough to buy and travel with it, so hopefully they wouldn’t be too embarrassed. It’s probably been handled by 5 TSA screeners already.

On the other hand, I know people who might have healthy sex lives but they are very, very embarrassed about discussing anything sex-related with people who aren’t their sexual partners.

On balance, I think that their level of embarrassment will be strongly shaped by how you communicate with them about it. So here’s my logic tree:

1. If they didn’t leave it behind, then they may have already seen it. If you don’t address this with them, it’s going to be weird. If you do address it with them, it’s less weird. This is your chance to be apologetic if you missed something another guest left behind, and also to show you don’t judge.

Therefore, if they didn’t leave it behind, you should communicate with them about it.

1. If they DID leave it behind, they’re already aware they left it behind, so it could be more embarrassing if you don’t talk to them about it! Because then they’re thinking “What happened to my favourite dildo? Did @justarock see it? Is he judging me?”

Therefore, I don’t think there’s any situation where it’s better to NOT communicate with them about it.

So the only decision left is how to communicate about it! I’m thinking something along the lines of,

“Dear X, the cleaner told me she found a personal item left behind by a guest, but I have to confess that she’s not sure if it was yours or the previous guest’s – she can’t remember if she checked all the drawers after the previous guest’s stay. If it was the previous guest, then I humbly apologise for not clearing out all their personal belongings before your stay! If it was yours, then I can ask the cleaner to leave it for you before your next visit, or I could ask her to mail it, whichever you prefer. I’d be happy to cover postage; it’s quite common for guests to leave things behind so it’s our policy to post anything. And we’re always happy to try to help out our favourite guests and repeat visitors! Just let me know either way.”

Don’t send them a picture of the dildo and just call it a “personal item,” which allows them to respond in whatever way makes them comfortable. Maybe they’ll be happy for the euphemism, or maybe they’ll respond saying “Oh thank you so much, I would be devastated to lose my S3X-turbomaster! Those things aren’t cheap!”

Calling them one of your favourite guests hopefully communicates that you’re not judgy, and you’re also subtly letting them know that you’ve seen it all and hinting that people leave their dildos behind all the time.

Putting it all on a mysterious “cleaner” makes it sound like there’s a possibility that you haven’t even seen the “personal item.”

Please let us all know how this works out!

6 Likes

Whoa! – as @JJD might say.

@muddy says it’s an expensive item (and @muddy would know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

You might want to auction it here on the forum!

Or maybe the moderators could award it to a member based on some reasonable measure for contribution to the forum.

I’m thinking word count. :rofl:

1 Like

I like your decision tree approach.

I’m missing something here. If they didn’t leave it behind, how would they see it?

The guests are coming back this weekend.

I edited your excellent note this way (edit appropriately):

“Dear X, the cleaner told me she found a personal item (fits in a blue cinched bag x “by y”) left behind by a guest, but she’s not sure if it was yours or the previous guest’s – she can’t remember if she checked all the drawers after the previous guest’s stay. If it was the previous guest, then please let me apologize for not clearing out all their personal belongings before your stay! If it was yours, then I’ll ask the cleaner to leave it for you in a bedroom table drawer before your visit this weekend. We’re always happy help out our favourite guests and repeat visitors! Please let me know if you think it might be yours."

OR, per @Wolle’s creative suggestion:

“Dear X, the cleaner told me she found a personal item (fits in a blue cinched bag x “by y”) left behind by a guest, but she’s not sure if it was yours or the previous guest’s – she can’t remember if she checked all the drawers after the previous guest’s stay. If it was the previous guest, then please let me apologize for not clearing out all their personal belongings before your stay!

I’m going to place unclaimed items left by guests in [fill in]. On your stay this weekend please take a look-see there if anything there might be yours.

We’re look forward to hosting you, one of our our favourite guests! "

LOL.

1 Like

I dunno. That one looks expensive… :wink:

Yes, but not everyone masterbates with… that

4 Likes

Oh, I may have misunderstood the timeline. I thought it went like this:

• Previous Guest stays. May have left vibrator but probably not.
  • Repeat Guest stays. Probably left vibrator, but possibility that it was left there by Previous Guest and they just didn’t notice it in the drawer before Repeat Guest visits.

If so, then Repeat Guest might have opened the drawer, said, “Egads, it’s the S3X-turbomaster! Wonder who left it there? Geez they don’t check the drawers in between guests; I wonder what else Previous Guest may have left behind?”

5 Likes

Get a cardboard box labelled AIRBNB lost & found. Put device in box, and (to make it look real) add old sweaters, shoes etc that would otherwise go to the Salvation Army. Then if the guest ever asks what you do if a guest leaves something behind, you can tell a face-saving white lie and say “The cleaners manage lost & found – do you want to have a look at their box?” and then you can both pretend that you have no idea what’s even in there… just in case it might be uncomfortable for the guest.

Or

… Just send a message saying “After you left my cleaners found a very expensive double-duty dildo in the suite. Is that yours?”

Your call!

7 Likes

I think we need @house_plants’ take on this situation.

2 Likes

I would ask the returning guest if they left an item behind. If they said yes I’d tell them it would be returned to the room for their next stay. Otherwise I’d drop it.

3 Likes

“My cleaner found an item left behind, but wasn’t sure if it was after your stay or the previous guest’s. She said she left it in a plastic bag in the bottom bathroom drawer. If not yours, just leave it and she’ll toss it out.”

1 Like

haha, next time I see that written in a review it’s going to have an all new meaning!

yeah, a lot of us are showing our age here. the younger crowd really aren’t embarrassed by this at all. And I’m not an expert but that doesn’t look cheap.

+1 to @lisanddavid that’s a great take on this situation. :pinched_fingers:t2: and you’re right, if it is theirs, they’ll know the host knows, so it’s already out there and causing discomfort.

@spark LOLs, hilarious. (in fact everyone is fire today, this has been an actual LOL thread but with great advice too), but your first suggestion is kinda great too.

3 Likes

Younger crowd-“It’s not mine, but I’ll take it, no problem. Those things are worth 150 bucks- I’ve been saving up for one.”

3 Likes

Or they said “I wonder where the previous guest put the charger?”

3 Likes

*energetically rifling through the drawers

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl: EW!! I would not say a word…the person who left it is likely too mortified to ask about it anyway. Plus, they may have a whole repertory of sex toys and not even missed this one. lol

1 Like

Great idea!!

I’m DEAD! GOLD!! :joy: :skull:

2 Likes

Oh I love that!!!

I guess @Justarock can be very adult-like edit his note to ask whether they left a small sex toy and if so he’s keeping it for them.

1 Like

small?? :flushed: I guess we don’t have a pack of matches next to it for comparison.

else they are thinking: oh, my giant black dildo isn’t what they are talking about, it must one of those lipstick vibrators.

4 Likes