Responsible hosts - Corona virus

I just spent 9 days in Bangalore, India and when there were bidets, and NOT a HOLE in the ground, I assumed that I’d just use it as a toilet, not for what it was intended for since I’m ignorant. But no sitting on those things and I always brought my own TP, which had to go into a trash can.

Even though the media is a bit hysterical, I do think this is something to be taken seriously. It seems quite easy to catch and some people do die from it, we don’t know what the percentages since so few have gotten tested. Anyway, we are keeping the house and room very clean and we have put bottles of disinfectant around. We couldn’t get any in our area, all sold out, but we were able to make some with alcohol and aloe.

Our biggest problem is the guests are canceling. We just had two cancellations in the last two days. These people were coming from out of state and we’re going to fly here. Many are uncomfortable being on a plane. I think we are going to get quite a few cancellations which is going to have a real affect on our income.

I will add that my husband and I are older adults so we may have a different view about this disease then younger folks who seem to be able to get through it much easier.

1 Like

Trump just announced no travelers from Europe (oh, except the UK which is no longer Europe :crazy_face: ) for the next 30 days. Buckle up, cowboys.

Airbnb has given advice on this. Have a look.

Can you post a link?

I’ve seen many bidets where this was not the case. Usually the bidets that were installed right next to a regular toilet were the ones that were not usable as toilets though.

1 Like

After many trips to Asia and Europe we decided to get a bidet seat for home. It’s been like one for home. They are fantastic. We have had this one for a year now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KX9J9DQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As much as we really like it, IMO this particular model may not be suitable for an airbnb as a guest might “push off” and use it while standing up and that could snap the plastic and make a big mess. There are other models where the control is tucked away and could be interesting.

1 Like

The new ones are very neat. Did you install it yourself? Looks like an easy install.

Seems like the water would always be cold? They seem to have a temperature dial but I can’t imagine the water heating up fast enough to be useful.

Easy install. The water is cold but that isn’t an issue. For some reason, it is comfortable anyway and we live between Philly and NYC.

This model has two different sprays to hit different angles.

2 Likes

Anyone told to self isolate should be marked like a nuisance bear that has been removed from a campsite or populated area. Some temporary dye on their cheeks that will start to dissipate after 2 weeks… lol…
For bears it was a yellow cross on the top of their head/ face.
Just kidding it was a random thought.

2 Likes

In a somewhat futuristic novel called Snowcrash, they no longer spent money locking people away in prison. Instead, criminals had warnings like “Poor impulse control” emblazoned across their foreheads in the form of a tattoo.

Much like Merrie Olde England, and probably other countries. They branded criminals on the face. They chopped off hands. I’m sure they did other things. We probably did things like that here in the US, too.

I love this.

My life story…

Yes we did. And worse.

The Saudis still do. Publicly.

Combine that with “no moral compass” and you would have a situation on your hands.

1 Like

I have a terrific moral compass, so that’s not the worry. It’s more the “Oh look, adventure! Let’s plan a last second trip! A cliff! Jump!!!”

3 Likes

Exactly— kudos to you and you don’t deserve to be attacked as such. I just had a cancellation and completely understand. I also am wondering how to clean and stay afloat while losing money, am very healthy, and am concerned about spreading it. Too bad everyone else can’t be–

I’m not hysterical but we have temporarily unlisted our apartment in Sydney. I’m a bit of a germaphobe and the thought of sick people staying has just put me right off. We had a clean done yesterday and it was really unsatisfactory like the cleaner was I’ll :scream: I just can’t be comfortable with that right now. So I guess each to their own, I have feeling that Sydney will need to go into lockdown anyway. I don’t watch the news… but do follow doctors like MedCram and Dr John Campbell (on You Tube) who recommends being proactive (shutting down schools etc to slow the spread). Ps I use Methylated spirits from bunnings to sanitize toilets and door handles. Stay safe everyone

1 Like

Try hydrogen peroxide…eats viruses. I also use it on cloth with fresh blood on it…works better than bleach. Just eats the proteins / etc.

I have added this language at the top of the (already-too-) long description on all listings. Maybe it will help guests feel reassured:

YOUR HEALTH MATTERS. Know that it has always been our practice to launder every layer of bedding with hot water and bleach, including mattress and pillow covers, after every guest. Air beds are sanitized after use. Hard surfaces are thouroughly sanitized. We block a day prior to and a day after each guest, there are no same-day turnovers.