Responsible hosts - Corona virus

Thank you, Kate. This was a great contribution.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your voice of reason and experience. So very much needed in these testing times.

1 Like

an excellent, reasoned contribution - thanks Kate for being a voice of sanity!

1 Like

Just in case it is not clear to anyone reading here, this piece was not written by @Kate_Haynes. She is ā€œsharingā€ it with us. It is a copy of a Facebook post from Abdu Sharkawy.

Thank you for sharing this well reasoned post with us!

4 Likes

Any additional things hosts should be doing? Iā€™ve added the following to my normal cleaning routine:

• Iā€™ve started to wash the pillow covers between each guest (note: pillow covers are below pillow cases)
  • Iā€™ve removed the few non washable decorative pillows (I guess those hosts questioning them have won the great debate :wink:)
  • Iā€™ve made sure Iā€™m using alcohol on all cabinet pulls, door handles, light switches, thermostat, and places that warrant touching.
  • Iā€™m providing sanitizing wipes to guests so that they may also clean up after themselves.
  • Also providing an extra box of tissues.

Any other suggestions?

3 Likes

Fresh individually wrapped rolls of tp for each new stay. I move the partial rolls to my home to be used later. Any virus will die over time.

I normally use refillable water bottles but am considering going to single use plastic temporarily. I donā€™t want anyone to think for a second that maybe I donā€™t wash the bottles I use.

1 Like

The voice of reason . Thank you

Came across these articles:

Well, I pretty much clean like all those recommendations anyway, but good to post for those who donā€™t.
We may all end up losing money, but Clorox and Lysol should be showing healthy profits.

I serve on a local board, and one of the other members, our finance committee chair, is the director of the Alaska Permanent Fund, our stateā€™s sovereign wealth fund, which was worth $65 billion before it dropped about $3 billion yesterday (back up today, though). I asked her if she was investing in Clorox, Proctor & Gamble, and Unilever, and she said ā€œOf course, we always buy low and sell high!ā€.

2 Likes

Agreed. But itā€™s not a bad way to then highlight how carefully youā€™re cleaning, even if you do so always.

Though, I double dare a guest to ding me for cleanliness after I specifically message them to let the group know Iā€™m disinfecting every light switch and outlet!

1 Like

Come one people, a bidet looks like a regular toilet. Same shape and size. Not lower, not higher. The only difference is that it has a device that propels a stream of water in the anus, thus cleaning it. But you can also ignore this function and use it as a regular toilet. My friendā€™s bidet had a remote to operate the water stream, to select how hot the water should be or modify the angle if it didnā€™t reach where it was supposed to reach. It also had a button to activate light inside the toilet so you could see it in the dark. this is just a sample of bodet available at home depot. there are cheaper (like 500$) and more expensive (like 5000$)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTO-Carolina-II-Connect-1-Piece-1-28-GPF-Elongated-Toilet-with-Washlet-S350e-Bidet-and-CeFiOntect-in-Cotton-White-MW644584CEFG-01/300824841

1 Like

great! I didnā€™t think about this one.

1 Like

Itā€™s quick and easy, and is a nice affirmation for guests. Also, doorknobs, locks, and keys.

I also list that we ask guests to remove shoes in the house, as itā€™s cleaner and quieter, but guests are now being better about it when I pair it with hygieneā€¦donā€™t bring the NYC Subway germs into the house, please!

Sometimes I think my background of working in health care serves me like a cleaning bootcampā€¦!

1 Like

Suggestion. Air your home. Open windows. Wash all bedding, sheets and comforters at outside laundry. Wipe light switch, remotes, any surface with sanitizer. Hope yjis wirks for you

1 Like

Most of your suggestions wonā€™t do anything to help minimise the risk of the virus being present in your listing sadly. Although all good things to do as a host anyway.

Itā€™s been a long, long time since I was anywhere there was a bidet. And in those days, at least where I was, the bidet was an additional fixture- it couldnā€™t be used as a toilet.

If you stayed with us, and did a shit in any of our bidets, itā€™d be one star across the board and ā‚¬100 additional cleaning fee. :wink:

JF

3 Likes

When I lived in the Netherlands (years ago!), the bidets we usually saw throughout Europe looked something like this:

oldbidet

The newer ones are built into the toilet seat and have fancy controls like this:

newbidet

Exactly! The first photo is what I remember from travels in Europe 50 years ago. They were definitely not to be used as toilets.