Requesting reimbursement for damage

Is it better to request reimbursement for damage through Airbnb or from the guest? The damage far exceeds any “deposit.” I have gathered all the evidence (photos) and invoices and receipts for repairing things. I now have to choose to submit it to the guest or Airbnb.

What is the damage, and can you definitely prove it was caused by the guest?

JF

Do you think the guest will pay? If they don’t, then your only choice is your own insurance or the Airbnb Host Guarantee.

When you request via Airbnb you are actually requesting to the guest anyway. They get to accept or decline or even make a counteroffer. If they decline then it goes to Airbnb to see if they will pay out of their host guarantee. In most rentals there is no real deposit. Unless the guest already told me “I broke this let me know the costs to repair it” I’d skip contacting them first. There are time limits in Airbnb’s hoops one must jump through. I hope your next guests haven’t already checked in.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. That’s what I thought but it wasn’t clear from the site.

Check the help center articles:

1 Like

A hole in a wall, sofas requiring professional cleaning (caked with mud and stained with wine), broken screen doors, broken pocket door, smashed planter, etc. How do you prove it’s them? Photos were taken the following day. They admitted to some of the damage although lied about who they were.

Did they admit to it on the Airbnb message thread?

So, pretty much no chance of the guest volunteering to pay.

It sounds as though there’s not a lot of chance getting anything from the guests. Remember too that when you’re claiming, the estimated damages might be for the current price of the goods i.e second hand value) and not replacement amount.

If the damage is so great, where does that fit into your insurance deductible?

Also, you need to file any damage claims BEFORE the place is rented again.

2 Likes