Requesting a copy of guest's ID

I don’t ask until at least 48 hours after they book, that is the grace period on IB.

It is in the rules, if they are going to cancel because I ask for it then they can deal with the cancellation policy. No easy outs.

I generally ask day of, then give the code once I get it.

RR

2 Likes

Thank you. Great suggestion. I did add it in my house rules that it may be requested upon check in but this is better. I will add it to my first paragraph and like you said, reiterate it throughout. I do that with a few other things as well.

1 Like

The same is required in Slovenia, at least of the hosts that do business legally:-)). Luckily, we’ve got a SnapGuest application that you download on your smart phone. It enables you to scan the biometric code on the guest’s passport or ID card and automatically converts ti to readable ID information. Then all you have to do is select the departure date and the info is sent out to tourist information statistics office, tax authorities and the relevant office at the Ministry of Interior. The SnapGuest automatically calculates the due tourist tax and creates monthly reports. No paper work necessary ay longer.

People don’t like a copy, and from a business perspective, they don’t know how their ID will be secured or stored by someone they think could be not as professional as a hotel. There is something called identity theft, so sending an ID by text us not safe. So do also you put in your policy text on how you secure that ID for your guest, that is will it be shredded, deleted etc? Not sure why you would need an actual copy of someone’s ID, I can see showing it upon entry and that is only if they have 0 reviews or last-minute bookings with guest that have no ID, otherwise, if they have good reviews and Airbnb knows they booked what could be the possible outcome? Anything goes wrong, then you can take it up with Airbnb.

I’ve asked this before and haven’t received an answer yet, maybe you can help me understand. How could I use a copy of a DL or passport to steal someones identity? I understand if there were a SSN involved but don’t otherwise. Thanks!

1 Like

guest don’t trust you with it, and it is all the unknowns that come with that. This is if landlords or Airbnb host do not store this correctly as I mentioned, or throw in the trash or gets digitally stolen, and there are many ways. But once they steal it they get your signature, now know your full name, birth date, the color of their eyes, height. This is connected to car registration, insurance, records etc. There are clever people out there that know how to use do this, it happened to me. Your DL should be kept safe and should be kept out of the digital world of scam artist.

In my case it is a condition of my STR permit that I get a copy of guests ID and keep it for 3 years.

RR

LMFAO, ya right. Air has our backs.

RR

3 Likes

I just noticed your discussion here. Keycafe has developed a product that allows short term rental hosts easily request photo ID and also optionally have real-time photo ID verification prior to property access. (Search “Keycafe Photo ID”)

The service was developed to comply with regulatory requirements in countries such as Japan and Italy where it is the law for every host to collect and retain guest information for 3 years.

We have found the demand for this service to be very popular worldwide as extra reassurance that who shows up to your place is actually who you think you rented it to.

I just wrote something about this in general yesterday. It’s not specific to Airbnb but does mention them near the end.

1 Like

I think it is redundant that airbnb ask the guest for all their info including a government ID if anything were to happen then this fall under their responsibility, at least it should since they are the ones doing the verification process. Most of my guest stay for one night, for one night making the guest read all the rules, manual, communication, then you asked them for a copy for their ID when they did that with airbnb, could result in less booking for me. As far as that goes, if anything major happens, and you need to go after the guest then airbnb should be responsible. A baby just scratched my TV and they bought a new one. But as you stated your STR permit requires you to get a copy of their ID. Now from my understanding airbnb doesn’t really have a secure system on how their software can verify an ID, which I heard on here or somewhere. All situations are different, so if you are not an in-house host, with no cameras and renting for weeks at a time, then yes get a copy. I’m here all the time, have cameras so I’m not worried about getting ripped off.

Oh, sweet summer child. I’m running the same risk as you since I don’t check ID, but you should be fully informed before assuming Airbnb has your back on this.
They don’t.

Please read the Airbnb’s TOS I’ve pasted below. They don’t guarantee a thing.

Another host pointed out that guests can change their profile name after verification. None of the names have to match the credit card. Airbnb could make this more secure if they wished, but they haven’t.
If you have an issue Airbnb will not release the ID or any other info they have on the guest unless compelled to do so by law enforcement/court order.

2.4 User verification on the Internet is difficult and we do not assume any responsibility for the confirmation of any Member’s identity. Notwithstanding the above, for transparency and fraud prevention purposes, and as permitted by applicable laws, we may, but have no obligation to (i) ask Members to provide a form of government identification or other information or undertake additional checks designed to help verify the identities or backgrounds of Members, (ii) screen Members against third party databases or other sources and request reports from service providers, and (iii) where we have sufficient information to identify a Member, obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations or an equivalent version of background or registered sex offender checks in your local jurisdiction (if available).

2 Likes

Yes, they can change their name and remove Id’s and photo. I got same day bookings from a guy named David, then cancel within 30 minutes, took a look at the profile and the name changed.

“we do not assume any responsibility for the confirmation of any Member’s identity.” They may not be responsible for the ID, which is ridiculous but they are supposed to be responsible for that guest actions, no? A lot of the time I don’t require it because I do enough vetting, I already know where they live, and the names of family members, etc, and check reviews. I can see when renting a whole house would be a different story, I’m not that picky. I do worry about home invasion robbery with this platform, now that you brought that to my attention. So I will change back to guest with no reviews have to upload ID to airbnb and show ID at the security gate before entering.

1 Like

No, they do not take any responsibility. All they take is the money. It is up to us hosts to manage our listings Air is just a place to advertise.

RR

2 Likes

What do you do for your vetting process? How do you learn where they live, family members etc? I check reviews but in truth find that people are leery of being fully honest with negative reviews. Maybe for fear of retaliation?! I am always looking for ways to get the most thorough information on a guest.

Some time it is very obvious when you know you are going to get a good guest by their opening message to book and reading reviews to a simple search. Other times it is like rolling the dice. If I get a red flag of something is not valid I take the info and match it with just a simple search to see what comes up, if they have a record it shows up and sometimes with a lot of details. If you want to avoid bad guess there is helpful info on my last post about drug dealers using your place and how to prevent it.

You are absolutely reasonable. When a guest goes through security for a flight, checks in for a hotel, or even visits an apartment complex, a government issued photo is required. If the guest does not agree with the requirement stated in the house rules, they don’t need to book.

1 Like

If a guest damages your property, has additional unannounced and unapproved guests, and/or violates house rules that results in additional cost, the security deposit doesn’t mean much. Airbnb claims they do not have the right to charge guests without their guest’s consent, which makes absolutely no sense. To summarize, it is a pain to get reimbursed for anything. This is why all hosts should ask for a government issued photo ID (preferably a driver’s license with an address) to pursue damages if necessary.

Not sure where you got that erroneous idea. Any host can specify their same gender if they share common spaces with the guests.

" According to our Nondiscrimination Policy, you may make a listing available to only guests of your gender when you share living spaces with them (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas)."

Exactly! They consent when they book with the stated “security deposit” and then when a host filed a claim against it they want the guest to consent again, and those time they actually mean it and allow the guest to rescind their prior approval thus making it no longer actually a “deposit” or “securing” of anything.

Hmmm…I feel like they may have changed it then. Thanx for pointing that out!