Requesting a copy of guest's ID

Can confirm. There is a ring of hosts in the Bay Area who

• share fake reviews
  • have stock photo images for profile pictures (!)
  • and COMPLETELY change their names every few months!! So yes, the name and the real person are not linked in any meaningful way.

(I can post links if it’s OK with the mods. It’s very enlightening to see how this cartel works.)

So much for AirBNB’s vaunted “Trust and Safety.” Not.

It’s very slightly amusing but still annoying to see the guest reviews thank the property manager, whose name also changes from time to time, and doesn’t match the “hosts.”

P.S. The stock photo images are enlightening. Most are of women who look quite pretty and very kind. So, one might tend to trust them. Accompanying “bio” text is free of meaningful content, or missing altogether.

Then, when you do a reverse image lookup on the pretty lady in the “host photo,” you’ll find that she is also in ads for contact lens cleaners, or her image is on sale at Getty Images as “desert lady,” etc.

1 Like

Go ahead and post them. If we mods have misgivings we will discuss and let you know.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you are in the world.
Here in Andalucia, we must obtain full ID on arrival. That means passport number, birth date, and other information about EVERY person occupying the apartment over 16 years old.
I have to send the information to local policia on a website.
It is in fact fantastic.
You should see the faces of would-be partiers in our apartment when we get all their ID info and explain that in case of problem with police they are already reported.
One group of 20 something partiers said “wow it"s like we’re in Dubai”. Um, yes. Welcome to Andalucia , new version.
Win Win
It is red tape and hard to adhere to all these things but in fact it’s great for us.

4 Likes

Yes, I think it’s a good idea too. All hosts should know about this, it seems.

Have they just dismissed this? What was their response?

1 Like

Which province are you in, as many folks in Andalucia are finding issues with the Policia and getting a user/pass to get on the system.

JF

I sent in the information to AirBNB chief counsel Rob Chesnut, to CEO Brian Chesky and COO Belinda Johnson (heard nothing back). With a cc: to their D.C. Legal chief, who gave a polite and non-committal response.

Here you go, I’ll just do a few links so folks here can see what is going on for themselves. These hosts operate in South San Francisco and Daly City:

AirBNB host ‘Nadya and Elena’
Notes:

• Stock photo image
  • For three years, was known as “Alla and Katrina”
  • Names now changed to “Nadya and Elena”
  • Nondescript bio, same as ever
  • Looking at her reviews current as of today 3/24/2019, reviews #s 2, 3, 5, and 6 are fake, from the same cartel that always shares reviews with this host, whoever she/he really is. Probably #1 is legit … #4 may not be legit, but I haven’t investigated this “guest” yet. But, why is someone from San Jose staying in Daly City??

revs2and3

Here are links to the relevant profiles, you can see for yourselves these are rats’ nests of hosts reviewing each other, with obvious bias and trading of favors, and likely no actual visits (if there were visits, they were refunded), but likely the hosts themselves just wrote the reviews and had the “guests” post them.

For all we know, this is just one person! That would certainly simplify all the review swapping.

By the way, I figured out the addresses for most of their listings, and thence via state records, the owners, and there were no Marcs, Elenas, Mirandas, Allas, Katrinas, or Nadyas to be found.

Pinging @KKC, @jaquo for mod review.

3 Likes

Yeah once you get that full information, I think guests tend to be nicer and they don’t steal or break things as much.

3 Likes

She’s a woman. Any host has the right to feel secure, especially in their own home. And the first-level support person she talked to was wrong IF IT’S IN HER RULES!

Rule 1: If you don’t get the answer you want, or you know the airhead answering the phone is wrong, ask to speak to a supervisor.

2 Likes

Sex and/or gender are Irrelevant in today’s (North America) society and political environment. Not saying that’s right or how it should be, but thats really how it is for us North Americans. Women have gone to the streets and marched for equal rights and they have them. I’m not trying to sharpshoot you here but if I didn’t point this out, I really would be guilty of following pack mentality as accused by another forum member on another topic. I realize its a very common thing and beliefs on gender roles vary wildly. If I can’t say something and have it be true of both male and female in the eyes of an average person, then I don’t say it because it isn’t actually appropriate for the society we live in even if I believe it to be true in my heart.

Yeah. Right. That’s why 91% of the victims of rape and sexual assault are
female, and 9% are male, and one in five women and one in 71 men will be raped
at some point in their lives. (Source: National Sexual Violence Resource Center). A single woman living alone renting rooms to strangers is in a situation where she’s highly vulnerable to sexual assault.

Don’t be such a sexist.

4 Likes

Thank you for understanding that, as a woman renting space in my home that I share with guests that I want to actually know the names of the people staying in my home. I realize you weren’t being sexist (at least I hope I read that correctly!).

I’m in the US, in FL and I like being part of the Airbnb community and meeting new people. I don’t want a drunk 83 year old man and his wobbly wife falling down or worse and I don’t even know their names! The Marriott makes you show ID. Why shouldn’t we have the same rights since we’re providing a smiliar service?

3 Likes

As a woman who has worked in male-dominated industries for over 40 years (finance and tech and I’ve often been the only woman in the meetings and as a presenter), I can promise you, we women have achieved little in the way of rights that guarantee our safety and our rights. Marches in the streets with pink hats and #metoo buttons don’t do a damn thing about the sexual assault statistics or robberies or just plain old pervy behavior.

7 Likes

I think the sexist thing is that Airbnb allows women with shared spaces to host only women but doesn’t afford men the same thing, to host only men. Although the stats are higher for women as victims, it is sadly even more skewed for reporting…most people are surprised to learn the number of sexual assaults and sexual harassments OF men is so high because the even more bias against them reporting it.

2 Likes

I have hosted couples and a single male and single women. My only "discrimination"has been the shady characters who won’t answer my 3 questions on my intro email and third party bookings. My home is not suitable for children (in-ground pool and on a canal) and I only accommodate 2 people. So asking if they can have 3 people, a dog, and they smoke is a solid No. My cat likes dogs, though…

3 Likes

Hello everyone. I just stumbled onto your thread about asking for ID upon arrival or directly beforehand. Was there any decision made as to whether its “allowed” or not? I am considering it myself because I do not feel that we as hosts are not protected in they way we should be.

wow…NEVER thought of this! Thanks so much for sharing

Air says you can verify it but not make a copy. THe loophole for me is that I am required to obtain a copy as part of my STR permit. I have had no complaints yet, if I do I am prepared to fight it out with Air, they state in the TOS we must obey laws and regs…

RR

1 Like

Don’t care what Airbnb say, I follow my local laws. Full details and copy.

JF

4 Likes

Please put the ID requirement within the first paragraph of your listing where it can’t be missed. Those that aren’t comfortable with this requirement can move on to the next listing. Put it in your house rules, stating that it must be sent to you within 48 hours of booking. In your welcome message, reiterate this. If the guest isn’t comfortable with sending the ID, they can cancel penalty free within that time frame. I have yet to receive push back from any of my guests. Reading this forum as well as others regarding Air throwing all risks at the host, please do not rent until you receive ID.

1 Like

Have you discovered the Apps that do it (easily and cheaply) for us? I’m using Check-in Scan which I like very much. I have to email guests’ details rather than using the web portal as I haven’t got an a cita with the Police till 28 August!
I had an idea that Air mentioned this requirement somewhere on Spanish listings but can’t find it now …