Replace spice rack or create my own?

I’m the same. And dried herbs are actually quite revolting :slight_smile:

At home, I use dried spices (cumin. coriander seeds, turmeric etc.) because they tend to last longer. But dried herbs tend to be awful. Just me being posh :slight_smile:

I adhered a spice rack on the inside of the cabinet door. It just keeps a couple of spices and doesn’t take counter or cabinet space. My apartment also sleeps 6 but it’s a NY apartment with limited cabinet space.

I change my spices once a year and place the “older” spices to the guest’s space. They’re organic but the smaller jars.

I provide some essentials:
Basil
Oregano
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Cinnammon
Garlic Powder

And I use adobo but don’t provide it. Even if a guest doesn’t find the perfect spice they like the idea that you’re thinking of them.

I used two of these racks so they don’t get in the way of plates, etc.

Spice Rack Inside Cabinet

1 Like

I provide all the basics and more because when I am in town, I need that stuff and don’t want to pay $4/bottle.

I also dry and bottle some of the herbs. I grow and dry basil, green onions, dill weed, rosemary, cilantro (meh!), thyme, oregano, mint (meh!), celery (I don’t actually grow them anymore but do dry store-bought), chili pepper, bells, mustard seed, bay leaves (off the tree grown by family member)…can’t recall what else. Oh yes, I also grow garlic, mince and dry and grow ginger root and freeze.

Trust me…dried herbs do wonderfully in a pinch.

2 Likes

(Note to self: Oh you ditz, how could you forget parsley! I always grow and dry parsley! mea culpa!)

@jaquo Yes, like you, at home I use lots of spices (and Marshall’s and TJ Maxx have a great selection of spices!!) but I have NO interest of encouraging guests’ cooking at the apartment; I don’t want lingering smells, food stuck on the burners, or anything else that would add to the cleaning process. Besides, who comes to Miami to cook?

Depending on your style of listing, families like to have a meal at home or some breakfast. The beauty of having a kitchen is being able to make something quick.

Salt, pepper, Chili powder, Basil, Thyme, Garlic powder, These are my basics. Everything else is a bonus!

I think essential for light cooking on vacation is:

rosemary
thyme
oregano
pepper
salt
cumin
sweet paprika

this stuff should fit a small rack.

If you want to provide more here is what I think should be the basic equipment: :slight_smile:

rosemary
thyme
oregano
marjoram
sage
tarragon
chervil
lovage
dill
mint

clove
pepper
juniper
pimento

cumin
cilantro seed
turmeric
cinnamon
nutmeg
bay
caraway
mustard seed
celery salt
garlic
onions

sweet paprika
hot paprika
smoked paprika
chili

red and yellow curry paste

red wine vinegar
white wine vinegar
balsamic vinegar
soy sauce

red wine
white wine
cognac
port wine
sherry

salt

It’s the spices that lose flavor over time. The rack itself is durable, but it is easier and perhaps less expensive to buy a new rack-with-spices set.

Oh wow, I’ve never heard of ‘lovage’. I guess I should take a moment and google it. (Sounds like something one needs to add fiber in one’s diet to get rid of.)

Hi @reader99,

Yes, I see. Though I think it would make sense to just buy spices individually as well (I may already have said so above). But maybe it’s more convenient/easier to buy a bunch of stuff all at once.