Replace spice rack or create my own?

We have a cook. But I’m pretty sure he doesn’t use a spice rack. I think he just buys spices as necessary.

Can you choose which spices you want or are they predetermined? I don’t have a Costco but maybe Sam’s has the same thing.

Haha…yeah it’s nice to have all of that stuff available, but I just can’t justify it. My guess is the majority of people are redneck cooks. So to cater to the 20% of people who actually cook with fresh spices, etc. will just take up more space. My rental sleeps 6, and I need to have enough room in the cabinets for them to store their own food for a whole week. So one cabinet filled with every spice imaginable is just a waste. I hear many die hard cooks travel with their own chef knives and spices anyway…as they don’t expect a vacation rental to have sharp knives nor nice spices.

I was only teasing you :smile:

1 Like

Actually, for Indian food, he is probably grinding them as needed. Depending on what dish you are making, you might toast the spices before grinding while for other dishes you want to grind them raw since they will be toasted as part of the preparation.

I generally make my own Garam Masalas before preparing Indian dishes but again, the ingredients are based on which region of India my meal represents. Other Indian chefs teach that the Garam Masala should vary based on the ingredients of the dish. Here is a fun page for studying about spice blends in Indian cuisine.

https://thoughtsfromajoy.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/six-basic-spice-mixes-you-may-call-them-garam-masala/

1 Like

Hi @smtucker,

He used to grind them using called a masala stone. Now he uses a mixer/grinder thingy. I’m not sure exactly what he grinds, though. I don’t know about toasting.

Indian cooking is very complex, and I know little about it. I tried to cook once, in Cambridge. It did not go well.

Thanks for the link.

1 Like

I’m not offended. I’m just answering the question.

1 Like

Which is one of the reasons it is amongst the world’s finest cuisines.

2 Likes

The spices are pre-determined… but seem like some of the most typically used spices. I’m pretty sure if you went out and tried to buy all of those different spices individually it would cost five times that much!

That sounds like the one I have now. It has 24 pre-determined spices.

Spices included: Basil, Bay Leaves, Celery Salt, Cinnamon, Coriander, Crushed Mint, Crushed Red Pepper, Dill Weed, Fennel Seed, Herbes de Provence, Italian Seasoning, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Pizza Seasoning, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, Seasoning Salt and Thyme

1 Like

I tested the dollar store pkts, not stale. There are many good things to be found at the dollar store. The most expensive part of the pkt is the container, the contents cost as I know from my personal practice of restocking spices at the bulk stores and other sources is far less than when you buy them in the ready filled jars at the grocery stores, you know the ones with orange caps. I’ve purchased spices in a dedicated spice store in Paris, again cost is far less than the ready filled jars.

Oh and I’m Canadian!

I hear ya! lol It’s the garlic salt and Lawry’s Seasoned salt crowd. Our desert place is used mostly by Canadians. It’s intriguing to see what they leave behind! :slight_smile: I wouldn’t bother with a spice rack, maybe a little shelf. Those racks get gunked up.

I live near “Little India” in Artesia, California. It’s where I get a lot of my spices in bulk. Also an amazing place to eat.

Bahahaha! Yes, I called my friend last night who’s idea of cooking is to season some chicken wings or piece of meat and stick it in the oven. She said the two spices she uses is Lawry’s seasoned salt and lemon pepper.

omg how WILD! I forgot the lemon pepper! Which is actually sorta good IF you don’t have fresh lemons :slight_smile:

Yeh, I throw Lemon Pepper in when making tuna salad.

(I know, I know…don’t buy canned tuna.)

In fact, many Europeans prefer canned tuna. The good quality canned tuna that is packed in olive oil.

Lol! Canned tuna is fine, especially the super expensive stuff that costs an arm and a leg but it’s worth it.

2 Likes

My guests don’t do much cooking, perhaps because there is a great variety of restaurants within walking distance of the apartments. And while there are pots and pans, aluminum foil, various gadgets, olive and vegetable oil, salt and pepper, I would not consider a spice rack – less is more, I have no interest of adding anything that would involve regular cleaning (i.e. the containers of each spice).