Reliability of Airbnb support in case of extensive damages and high cost

I am in touch everyday by phone or by chat in an open thread. I have communicated with about 20 representatives.

It is naive to think that the Airbnb Host Guarantee is a substitute for proper short-term rental insurance (not regular homeowners insurance, which will likely not cover this kind of business-activity related loss, or worse, will cancel your coverage entirely).

Airbnb is an advertising and payment platform, not an insurance company.

Thank you CeeBee. Maybe it is naive but I am not naive. Do I read wrongly the Terms and conditions?

I. The Airbnb Host Guarantee

Airbnb agrees to pay you, as a Host, to repair or replace your Covered Property (as defined below) damaged or destroyed as a result of a Covered Loss (as defined below), subject to the limitations, exclusions and conditions in the Host Guarantee Terms. etc etc

It doesn’t matter whether you’ve been hosting for 1 week or 15 years. Anyone who thinks the host guarantee will protect them is incredibly naive. It’s a marketing trick, not real insurance.

2 Likes

You need to pay more attention to this part:

because there are MANY limitations, exclusions and conditions in the Terms and Conditions. Specifically:

…“the reasonable and necessary cost to repair or restore such property to the physical condition that existed on the date of loss”

I don’t doubt you will eventually collect something on your claim, but it’s not going to be anywhere near 20K€.

2 Likes

I have read all of them. I don’t find anything that is against my request.

Oooookay, then. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Thanks. I will keep you informed.

1 Like

Please do. But do look into getting short-term rental insurance coverage before you host any more guests.

If you have conventional home insurance, having not advised them you have STR’s, in all probability you will lose your claim and your insurance.

On the surface, the $1M guarantee makes sense. Unless you do a bit of homework and discover that it is universally panned. And it is possible that if you file a claim with them, your iinsurer may walk away from it too.

I don’t always agree with the hosts here, and they don’t always play nice. But the price is right! There are a number of highly credible people here. But they don’t hesitate to call it.

In other words, we are not here to make you feel good. But we did tell you why your claim got derailed.

May I also remind you that it is a 2’way street. You get back what you put into it.

1 Like

Thank you justMandi for the advice. If the Host Guaranty is panned, then there is a problem with reliability of Airbnb. Isn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, there is. Yours is about the 1000th thread to say so.

So yet another day has gone by and nothing from Airbnb?

2 Likes

Yes really nothing concrete

As others have suggested, look into insurance that will cover these sort of issues.

My area requires such coverage and even it wasn’t, your initial post makes it clear that it makes so much sense.

Good luck with your situation.

You brought this on yourself. You could have cleaned this up and been back in business in a week or 10 days. You chose the hard expensive route, now you get to pay for it.

RR

1 Like

Shit, piss, blood and puke… reckon we could have sorted that in a few hours. The rest, maybe next day.

Back to “showtime” in two days.

:blush:

JF

2 Likes

I can. Was anyone found dead under all that mess??

Is any one else seeing "Drama Queen " here…

5 Likes

I suppose that you mean something like this, which is less cruel than our case: