Refunding guests for past stays

Suggestion: buy mattress covers. All 9 of my mattresses are spotless after 6-years of hosting, but only because I have kept them protected with waterproof mattress covers (well worth it at about $15-$20 each, depending on size). There have been enough accidents and spills that the mattresses would be stained had I not kept them protected. I can easily use stain remover on the covers and wash them. I routinely wash them about once/month, which helps prevent body & perfume odors from accumulating in the rooms. If a guest pulls back the sheets, they see the mattress cover, not the mattress, so this could be helpful to you. I buy fitted covers, but there are zippered covers that will go over the entire mattress and wouldn’t be easy for a guest to remove. Just a thought. Here are a couple of examples (I’m not promoting or earning commissions these products, just giving examples). https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60281224/ . https://www.amazon.com/Original-Sleep-Defense-System-Hypoallergenic/dp/B01413355S

2 Likes

I already did. But thank you for website. And I did buy zippered.

I have a zippered fully encasing one that was about $30. Cheap when you consider the mattress cost was close to $2000.

2 Likes

Sorry but buying stained mattresses for a B&B is a big no no! Have you seen the British programme ‘4 in a bed’ where people rate each others B&Bs? A stained mattress always loses the competition regardless of price.

3 Likes

I can’t believe anyone running a B&B would not use mattress protectors!!! Waterproof ones are sweaty and horrible, far better to go for a thicker one or a mattress enhancer. I don’t get the idea of guests removing the protector, no-one would do that unless it was a horrible sweaty one which was stopping them from sleeping!

4 Likes

That’s Great Britain. We know you guys are perfect. But we are not , just simple people.:grinning: We sleep in stained matresses covered with clean sheets.
I am sure many many even 3-4 hotels have stains on their matresses. We just would never know as no one in their right mind would take the bedding off to check for those stains.

2 Likes

Wow, little princess? I would lift sheets if there was a smell, I would lift sheets if I suspected there was a reason to. Buy some new mattresses you are in the hospitality business.

Try and be nice, I was not attacking you simply asking a question.

Gary

2 Likes

There is your answer. The mattress is so comfortable they are lifting the sheets to see what the brand of the mattress is so they can buy one for themselves. :laughing::joy:

Yana, something you have to consider is that Airbnb is going to implement new average standards for everyone. One of the basic requirements is a target of an average of 4.7 stars. So if you get low stars from the occasional guest you may suffer penalties from Airbnb. You previously posted there were some complaints in Feb. Then after that one of your listings “disappeared.” I think this is one of the ways Airbnb penalizes hosts. If you call they deny it, but what are going to do about it? No views, no reservations.

And when someone complains again Airbnb is going to say, this is the second complaint so we are going to refund the money. Soon, between hosting people for free and low search ranking, or being disappeared, your business will suffer.

So it’s not about what you or I think. I think mattresses and linens should not only be clean, they should look clean. But I’m not your guest. It doesn’t matter if it was fine for previous guests. What matters is the ratings going forward because Airbnb favors the guest and has a lot of power over your listing. More guests are going to expect hotel like standards.

Now that you have zippered covers maybe you will have solved this problem.

3 Likes

I was not attacking you either , I just said you are a little princess😀

2 Likes

In February it was just for the room . It has nothing to do with this listing. Yes the listing disappeared but I still rented the room creating different listing and was rented the same day. There are ways to go around Airbnb stupid policies .
That’s the thing with standards. I agree that SOME standards should be there as I am myself stayed in absolutely filthy Airbnb rooms with horrible cat pee smells and just disgusting. My pool house is very clean. The same as my other house. I only get 5* on cleanliness and only couple of my beds have matress covers and actually absolutely all of my matreses have some stains.
This is the first incident regarding matress stains.

Also my opinion about Airbnb standards. They can push and push hosts to spend more money to meet those standards but it will put much more pressure on hosts and even to start it will take some capital.
That was the beauty of Air that ANYONE can start being in business right away without changing anything around the house. It was: you have spare room? Host and make some extra income !
Andit worked very well. This is how I started , because I didn’t have to do any investment whatsoever . Many retired people or college kids even start doing it without having any money to spare even for New towels for guests.
Who will start hosting without knowing how it work for them not only physically but mentally with having strangers in their house and start buying new matresses and other goodies to correspond with Airbnb so called standards.

As of now I am turned off by Airbnb policy to refund even for past stays that I am stopping renting through them altogether . I successfully did for almost a year through other sources like Craig’s list and VRBO and Homestay and I am going now back to them. Until my grudge will go away😀

4 Likes

I have both. You know you are starting to sound really high and mighty. The new waterproof mattress protectors are not hot and you can’t even tell it is on.

I have stayed at plenty of nice hotels that had a few little spots on their quilts or, yes, even spots on the mattresses. You can’t afford to just replace them the minute they get some kind of spot.

Yana is a longtime host. She’s not going to have badly soiled or spotted mattresses in her places. A few little spots is not a reason to replace them.

I have had guests who have to inspect every little nook and cranny and you sound like one of them. Obnoxious. Go stay at the 4 Seasons for $800 a night, and guess what. …you will still find something.

2 Likes

Blimey. Whats this bash a Brit day? E.g. ‘That’s Great Britain. We know you guys are perfect.’, ‘high and mighty’, ‘obnoxious’. Doesn’t this forum have guidelines against name-calling and bullying?
Anyway I am none of the above. I was completely and utterly unaware there are hosts out there who think stained mattresses are fine, or that it was unacceptable for me to speak out in favour of clean mattresses. Like I say all it takes is a mattress protector and a budget upholstery cleaning machine. I am not in the habit of looking at mattresses, but I might start now lol. Other people’s bodily fluids - no thanks!

4 Likes

Upholstery cleaning didn’t do the job when a kid spilled pink juice on a matress. We tried . And it still
Left vague pink spot. It’s the only spot on that matress.

It would seem so. I am feeling quite shocked by the unusually offensive comments made on this post today; any guidelines seem to have gone out of the window. as far as I can see. Note I’ve left a comma out…

2 Likes

Here–– let me help you out. “,”

2 Likes

Excuse me, I’m not bashing anyone English. I commenting on your high level of judgment which appears to quite clearly put people down because they don’t have spotless homes and furniture. We are not hotels. We are personal homes and therefore we certainly should not be expected to be palaces. Guests should not be looking under sheets and mattress pads to find tiny pink stains from a kid’s drink and ask for a refund.

1 Like

I recommend renting at booking.com. I never used airbnb, but it sounds like a nightmare company/website attracting the worst kind of travelers (picky inconsiderate cheapskates).
I’m a scruffy old man who’ve hosted ~1200 guests in my small messy old house. Tiny guestroom, including a very comfortable, but stained mattress.
Was never asked for any refunds, 9.3/10 rating. Booking.com always treated me well. No ridiculous hidden fees, guests can see the total price immediately.

1 Like

What made you join a forum for Airbnb hosts then @gamalgrind :slight_smile:

If you’ve never used Airbnb why are you on a forum for Airbnb hosts?

Hi @Jess1

Looks like we had the same line of thinking (see my earlier post on the same subject).

And welcome to the forum from a fellow Brit.

I know from experience things can get heated on here. People have strong opinions.Myself included.

I don’t think some of the remarks expressed here to you and others who joined this discussion are appropriate. Calling people a ‘little princess’ and deriding someone because of the country they come from is simply not on. I think it’s a shame the mods didn’t intervene on this.

You should certainly be able express your opinion @Jess1 . However, stating that items some of your fellow hosts use are ‘sweaty and horrible’ and telling people how to run their listing, will get people’s backs up. People host in different ways and it’s never your way or the high way :slight_smile:

I was recently subject to some horrible abuse by a new member (some of which is now removed) but know how it feels when people make highly personal, abusive remarks and the moderators do nothing to intervene. As a result of this I am certainly going to visit less often and may stop being a member altogether.

I think @Yana 's comments to @Joan a long standing member , who provides great advice and makes us laugh with comments about life at her listing, were not appropriate . I agree as a moderator, you should be able to stand back from discussions, and be able to moderate, rather than berate and name call.

6 Likes