Really? You've re-arranged all of my furniture?

Hey guys! I haven’t posted in a while, we’ve had a pretty good summer. This week we had a couple check in on Monday. I usually handle all of our guests but I had to fly to Victoria for work and poor hubby has his hands full. I fly home tonight and am actually nervous of what I’ll find. The lady has re-arranged ALL of my patio deck. We have 6 chairs, 4 large planters, a sectional couch and some smaller planters. Hubby tells me she has moved every.single.one. Even my large planter that was on my upper deck, is now moved. In all of this movement, a panel fell down and actually broke one of my large plants in half. She has emailed me telling me what kind of fertilizer I need, and where I should buy it. Hubby says every day he comes home, the back yard is different. He can’t even find some of our stuff. Relax, babe, I’ll be home Friday I tell him. Today she let him know that her husband broke the shower head and could hubby fix it (they leave tomorrow AM) oh yeah, and can they have 4 more coffee pods as they’ve been through 18 since Monday. Good thing I don’t leave wine in the fridge! Hubby heard her on day 2 opening all of the cupboards downstairs, including closets, that are not in the Air BNB space. What the heck is she looking for, fertilizer!!! This may be a very interesting check out. Let’s hope she took pictures of my beautiful pool deck so she can put it all back (right, I know)… uugh. Writing this review will be fun, I’m thinking “guest makes herself very comfortable, moving all of the furniture during her stay” Rant over… for now

6 Likes

My review would be more negative than that.

3 Likes

There is a cost to putting the furniture back. There is a cost to repair and replace stuff. But that is nothing compared to what it is going to cost THEM when you post an honest review

8 Likes

People are so weird. Why on earth would you move someone’s planters? And how does one even break a shower head? ugh. I would definitely be charging for everything, including the broken plant.

5 Likes

OMG. Truly dreadful for you. Smashing one of your plants by breaking a panel? And the rest. Fertiliser advice, but breaks a plant??? K9 is totally right. they need a total kicking in your review of them. Unemotionally of course.

3 Likes

are you sure there’s no mental health issues here? Sounds a bit TOO weird!

2 Likes

I’m hoping against hope that you return to your indoor furniture remaining in place and intact. I can just imagine this guest rearranging furniture and changing pictures around.

I wouldn’t make any plans to travel for work when you have guests again because I’m quite sure your hubby won’t be up for it! :wink: Fingers crossed for you and welcome home–work trips are always tough! :grinning:

1 Like

(Deep Breath) This is what I tell myself every time I find things rearranged. As long as it isn’t broken, and they didn’t do any damage moving it around to other things, I guess I can live with it. It is a pet peeve of mine. Seriously, would you rearrange the furniture or anything else in a friends house? This is why things are bolted down in hotels. But as we keep trying to remind people, our homes are not hotels. To me it is simple respect to just leave things where they are or at least put them back where you found them. My husband says that he thinks it is just their way of “marking their territory“ or making it “ Theirs”. I don’t know exactly what it is I just know it dries me crazy!

3 Likes

Well I’m at the airport enjoying a glass of wine. We only have one more guest this summer and then we take a break. Just texted hubby to see what excitement today held!

1 Like

@BCShelly,

We have had floors damaged from guests dragging furniture around. Once they moved a piece that was so heavy the housekeepers weren’t able to move it back on their own. We did have a guest show up with crutches and moved a few things to make it easier to get around.

I have put in my house rules

Moving furniture inside the property is not permitted. Previously the legs have been removed from protective castors and dragged across the floor resulting in unnecessary damages. If you would like the single beds pushed together or other furniture moved to accommodate mobility difficulties, please let us know and we will happily organise this for you.

That was about 2 years ago and we have not had a problem since, nor a single request to come in and reorganise the furniture. Did have one review that complained “and we weren’t even allowed to move the furniture”. That sure made me laugh!

Hope your damages are not too severe, Lisa

I have stayed in Airbnbs where it is listed in the house rules not to move furniture so it must be a common problem. Luckily it’s not a problem I have encountered and I have better things to do on my holiday than be an “shifter of furniture”!

What!? This means you are getting guests who read.

I like the complaint. It made me splutter over my first cup of tea.

8 Likes

We had one guest that stayed up all night re-arranging kitchen drawers and cupboards. To be honest, I was more intrigued than annoyed. I did like how she arranged the couch cushions. She was just an over-nighter.

1 Like

Did she charge you for her services?? :rofl: Honestly, you do have to just scratch your head and wonder sometimes.

2 Likes

I had one guest who bought that squishy liner stuff and lined all my kitchen drawers and a couple cabinets (I assume the roll ran out before she was done, lol). Odd.

8 Likes

Update: so I got home last night & sure enough my pool deck is not my own. They went so far as to separate the sectional couch into 3 individual pieces?? So odd, the saving grace here is that they left the suite is great shape, they stripped the bed, brought out the garbage, etc. They did manage to pull one of the glass shower doors off it’s rail this morning, I guess they are just clutsy. We got out ok on this one. Now to get outside and reset my deck!

5 Likes

Here’s to hoping she’ll put it back. I know how much work that can be as I have had it a few times, not just the deck but the entire living room too, which involved hiring help. I love the idea of putting it in the house rules. Blows my mind sometimes all the things you have to put in the house rules :slight_smile: Best of luck.

Glad all appears to have turned out for the best and nothing was too badly damaged.

I have a caretaker that moves stuff from where it should be … Can you take him on? Nicely, so he doesn’t quit on me? Haha

I like the squishy liner stuff, but I do have to keep cleaning under it, especially the cutlery drawer. I think guests keep leaving it open while they are making toast.

1 Like

Fortunately, no. I should have asked her if she wanted to re-arrange my own place.

2 Likes