Racist guests? Any advice?

oh, in this case dont have IB, let people inquire and when they do explain to them the location and diversity issue.

Unfortunately this wouldn’t work as I live in a highly competitive city and the vast majority in my area use IB, so I would be at a distinct commercial disadvantage if I removed it. I tried it and my bookings dropped dramatically @adrienne12

Baltimore is unfortunately a sinking ship. We cannot get good leadership to save our lives. String of corrupt and incompetent mayors. My immediate neighbors – this week, a street robbery, car theft, multiple armed robberies. PICKPOCKETS would be a comically weak problem by comparison.

WITH THAT SAID, they are wondrous and amazing and very very very magical aspects to Charm City. We have so much that other cities do not – the Station North Tool Library, SUPER DOG FRIENDLY (dog parks, Orioles games with a section for dog owners and their dogs with tickets), crab cakes at Faidley’s in Lexington Market, soft sunsets behind the downtown skyline (looking at one now), gorgeous architecture in Mount Vernon (stands in for D.C. in the filming of House of Cards), Edgar Allen Poe’s home, Poe’s gravesite, where Poe died (a few blocks from me), families of ducks that are lost that neighbors shepherd to the harbor, Patterson Park … it has 216 different species of birds, including 4 types of herons, blocks from the most dense zip code in Maryland.

If no one beats you to a pulp for your debit card and cell phone, it’s a great place.

2 Likes

The key is the photos IMHO.

The person who left the bad remark was clearly expecting something different than what he got.

So I would try to show all aspects of the reality of the area and apartment in a way that looks great on your listing, but that doesn’t leave any room for surprise or disappointment when they arrive.

Also - just saying - why are we assuming the bad reviewer is racist? He didn’t mention race.
“Great apartment in a horrible neighborhood” can mean other things? I think you would be justified in asking him for clarification. Maybe there is an issue in the area that you don’t know about? Maybe he had a problem (pickpocket?) or annoyance (loud garbage truck early in the morning) or feeling of insecurity because of graffiti or neighbors with untended yards or something else? I don’t know what the neighborhood looks like but many things could contribute to a feeling of insecurity.

@Jenna just to clarify.

It was @O_Apartments that mentioned the issue with racist guests.

I joined in the discussion as I live in a similar area. I know my guests marked me down on location because having black people on the street at night made them uncomfortable as they told me.

As i mentioned, I have clear photos of my multi-cultural, inner city area on my listing and mention what it is like at least four times in my listing and also when guests book.

However clear you are about your area through photos an descriptions guests don’t read/absorb and still mark you down.

1 Like

How can you be sure? Have you stayed at the OP’s listing?

Maybe the listing actually is in a bad area, but the host refuses to see this. And blames the guest.

If one guest says it is a bad area, the guest can be wrong, but if multiple guest says the area is bad, then there is a trend and the host should open his eyes.

1 Like

For all we know the multiple guests could be racist, uninformed, or wear red caps talking about making America great again. Correlation does not equal causation

6 Likes

I suggest you search the listing, and read the reviews.

Guest mention the actual problems, and it is not how the people look, but about their behavior.

The host chose the wrong investment property and is now looking for an excuse.
If it were my investment I would either sell the place, or turn to LTR and hope the area improves long term.

5 Likes

Or you could just make a new listing for the appartment and close down the old one that gets the bad reviews.

Hi Jan. I hope you behave during your latest incarnation. You just can’t quit this forum, can you?

4 Likes

Two points.

• If you get ‘many’ negative reviews then don’t you think they might have a point?
  • Why do you want to be a superhost anyway? A badge and a travel voucher per year? They’re really not worth worrying about
1 Like

That will not work, because if the area is as bad as the guest say, the new listing will get bad reviews too.

I had one an issue with a listing deleted it, after a set of mediocre reviews. Listed again, same result.

Removed the listing, did some renovations on the critical points in the reviews and listed again. Now the reviews are a lot better.

But with the location this is impossible.

3 Likes

They should be reading your reviews and make their conclusions. At this point don’t do anything else …all is clear it’s " bad neighborhood" . :slight_smile:
I would book with you in a second

2 Likes

Well, if you repeat the same listing description and photos, of course. But making the appropriate changes to manage guests’ expectations will definitely help.

2 Likes

Ok, so my location marks went way up when I included pictures of local graffiti, and mentioned in the first description that we love our neighbors in our multicultural neighborhood and we expect our guests to, as well.

I can post a direct link if you want to borrow my language.

7 Likes

“Feeling safe” in a neighbourhood is such a subjective thing and varies so much from person to person that I think it would be difficult to predict in advance what would put people off. I know retirees who live in enclaves on the Costa here who get nervous when I suggest they come and meet me in Malaga - “Is it safe?” - when it must be one of the cleanest, lowest-crime cities in Europe.

On the other hand, guests staying at our apartment in Cape Town (murder capital of the world) City centre are usually very surprised at how safe they do feel. There are designated “Tourist Police” on almost every corner and most Capetonians both white and black (who are, naturally, in the majority) are open, friendly and helpful. Where I do feel I stand out is because of my age … I am not exactly decrepit but we hardly ever see anyone else over about 40 on the streets, since we’re in the centre of the nightclub/backpacker hostel district. I never feel unsafe but I have to admit I do wish I could walk to the supermarket just once without 5 people begging from me (and thanks to the poster who taught me the term “panhandling”!). The last young guy who tried it I told that I never give to someone who has a more expensive mobile phone than I do!

4 Likes

Just to add … my son’s sister-in-law (black Zimbabwean now living in Cape Town) says that she’s so over seeing areas described as “vibrant multicultural” which she says translates as "it’s noisy and black people live there "!

5 Likes

There was a thread not long ago about this issue and I thought the same, as in I feel uncomfortable about pandering to racists. I don’t know what is the solution, though.

Yes you should do that. I thought of you immediately when I saw this thread. If I remember correctly, you get the perfect balance between “f***k off if you’re racist” and “it’s really cool here”.

So how would you describe an area with beggars, addicts and dealers?

1 Like

I’d call the area a city or town as that’s where you will find them in the western world @Chris

3 Likes

“Street savvy travelers will find a haven in this charming apartment in the heart of the metro. While just a short stroll to all the conveniences of urban life, you will nearly forget the hustle and grind just outside your door in this cozy studio…”

5 Likes