Racist guests? Any advice?

Oslo, Norway.

Online discussions of crime in Oslo note criminal activity near the station at night and a fair number of pickpockets.

EDIT - I have had to edit your post again @PuppyLover , because you keep mentioning comments from reviews on the OPs listing. If people want to see the listing, they can search for it. As you did. Please refrain from posting content from his listing or summarising content from his listing on here.

2 Likes

No I can’t dearie I don’t even know what the ‘1930’s no Irish allowed’ is. I am old but not that old !!

That is his implication or question but it’s a perception of the host’s that I’d like to challenge. Perhaps it’s the activities going on in the area, or perhaps there is some crumbling infrastructure or lack of neighborhood upkeep that the host has become so accustomed to that he doesn’t notice? Why do we assume that it’s just bigotry? Are there other possible explanations?

I grew up in a multicultural area. That exposure to Vietnamese refugees, families from the inner city who had moved to the outskirts to avoid busing, Chicanos, Mexican immigrants, and a splattering of middle easterners who had fled Beirut.

NONE of that multi-cultural exposure to people prepared me for the culture of downtown, inner-city life when I got a job down there at bright young age of 23.

I recall one time a kind looking older gentleman asked me for a cigarette. He looked a little dirty like perhaps he was homeless. (I no longer smoke.) I gave him one and he thanked me then said, out of the blue, “You know, not all black people are the same.” I smiled and giggled and said, “Sir, I know that. All the black people I know have jobs.” He busted out laughing and said, “Good one. You got me there.”

Don’t just assume racism. It’s really a dreadful thing to assume about someone without good evidence.

2 Likes

Yes, see my cross-post above. Mention of homeless people and addicts on the streets.

1 Like

I am not assuming it, the guests I am talking about have openly told me that having black people on the street at night makes them feel uncomfortable @LoneStar

Well bless their hearts. That’s “good evidence”. OP didn’t provide any. He painted a picture of the inner-city. I don’t know his city but I know the one that was 4th largest in the USA when I worked there. I have no problem with purple people, but I do try to avoid purple drug dealers and would also avoid magenta people who appear to have untreated mental illness although if the magenta folks take their pills we’re cool.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of them became my best-est frenemy! Not kidding. Good ole Rick, may he rest in peace.

I get what you are saying. On a related note, I recently watched “Seattle Is Dying” a documentary by KOMO the news station there. It is appalling to watch addicts there doing the Heroin Lean in front of NORDSTROM’s downtown. While people WALK ON BY. Since that time, and finding that kind of behavior shameful, I do ask folks here in my city, doing the Lean if they need help, and wait for an ambulance for them. They are our brothers and sisters.

There is always likely to be crime near main stations at night and pickpockets. This is nothing to do with the fact it is Oslo - you could equally say that about train stations in your country @PuppyLover

Blessing their hearts wasn’t actually the first thought that came to my mind when I heard that racist drivel coming out of their mouths actually @LoneStar :frowning:

It’s heartbreaking and I have a lot of compassion because people don’t choose to become addicts, they choose to medicate pain whether physical or spiritual, or to medicate mental illness.

I was on a school trip in DC once and they had us with some kids from the hills of West Virginia in a small rural town and they had us on a shuttle bus and this kid from WV starts screaming STOP THE BUS STOP THE BUS STOP THE BUS and we’re all wondering what. There was a street person laying on the grate in the sidewalk. This kid had never seen a street person before and he was insisting that we stop the bus and render aid. It was heartwrenching, on so many levels… I’ll never forget it.

What’s your point, if any?

I love that W. Va. kid so very much!

3 Likes

i would have thought my point was crystal clear but happy to reiterate it for you.

You said:

“Online discussions of crime in Oslo note criminal activity near the station at night and a fair number of pickpockets”.

I said:-
‘There is always likely to be crime near main stations at night and pickpockets. This is nothing to do with the fact it is Oslo - you could equally say that about train stations in your country’.

Happy to educate you on pickpocketing in your own country, here are just a few examples of stats pointing to a rise in pickpocketing in major US cities.

"Pickpocketing is now on the rise in many American cities, among them San Francisco (where the rapid-transit system, Muni, reported a spike last year), Chicago (where more than 2,100 pickpocketing reports were filed by transit cops in 2018, a 13 percent increase over 2017), and Indianapolis (headline: “Thieves Pick $2,700 From Man’s Pocket in Kroger Frozen Food Section”).

"In Manhattan, where transit larcenies rose 15 percent last year, police blame much of the bump on traveling pickpocket teams".

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/pickpocket-smartphones/585997/

No pickpockets here. Never heard of it outside of Dickens novels until traveling in Barcelona, Paris, Athens, etc., where the Europeans seem to have perfected it.

1 Like

Yes, more likely to be mugging rather than pickpocketing these days. I was mugged very cleverly in Barcelona, almost a privilege to be a victim, it was done so well. It was the Ronaldhino move,
I’ll show you how it was done, next time we’re all in the pub.

2 Likes

Try Oxford Street and The Tube, for some rather slick pick-pocketing examples @Barns :slight_smile:

Your city is a good example, Chicago also. I have never been to Baltimore but I’ve unwillingly been to Chicago and I did not feel safe there and I don’t think it’s a “good city”. I wouldn’t want to go to Baltimore. I didn’t like Chicago because it’s pretty much decaying, the roads are horrible, I was doing 20 over the speed limit in the far right lane and people were blowing horns and flashing lights … just not my speed! I was accompanied by a very tall imposing man else I would not have felt safe walking the streets. Baltimore is known as the Murder Capital so I just don’t want to go there even though I envy my aunt having visited Poe’s home.

My perceptions of those cities has absolutely nothing to do with the genetics of the inhabitants of the cities. Fact is because of where I grew up, when I went to the amusement park in Minnesota I was laughing that I could count up to 40 white people before I saw someone of another color, I’d never seen or been in a place so white before. I made a game of it for a while. I saw at least up to 6 non white people per hour lol.

Used to be extremely common in the United States: https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/275-the-newsie-strike

I’d put it in the title. Ex “2 bd apartment in a vibrant, diverse and safe neighborhood downton X”. I’d mention in the description and I’d put pics. For example a cafe or a street with a mixture of races.

This way you’ll attract the right crowd.

1 Like

Unfortunately @adrienne12 as I mentioned in earlier posts, I have done a variation of what you have suggested - but have still had a few guests mark me down on location and tell me that don’t feel safe/feel uncomfortable because of the ethnic mix in my neighbourhood.

No doubt it does help overt racists self select not to come to my neighbourhood but is by no means foolproof.